Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
UPDATE TO POST #19…After digging around and actually talking with the Technicians from Nissan Corporate, it was determined that I had a bad drive shaft in the truck. It’s not that simple though…after making the discovery, the service director spoke with his contact at Nissan corporate and it was determined that he would pull a drive shaft out of a new pathfinder (which they had on the lot) and put it in mine. I arrived on Thursday morning happy as a clam to pick up my fixed truck. I was asked to test drive it, so I did. Now, I do a lot and I mean a lot of highway driving. So, I test drive begins…so signs of the rattle and I’m happy. Let’s head to the turnpike for a lap. Bam! Slap in the face…the whole truck is rattling, starting at 60mph on the highway. Back to the dealer and I let the service director know my findings. He drove my truck home the night prior and back to work this day…he noticed the truck was vibrating too. Time to adjust the drive shaft. So for informational purposes…the drive shaft has 8 adjust positions in the front and 4 in the rear. So…1st adjustment on the drive shaft taken out of a new vehicle…no noise at low speed…hard vibrations on highway. I take it back to the dealership and let them know. The General Manger comes over to check in on us and found out what the service director did to the new car…not happy…I walked away. They are going to overnight a new drive shaft for my truck.
Friday morning-I get there at 1030 an my car is out for a test drive…comes back and up on the lift it goes for an adjustment…this happens a total of 7 times. Finally on the last adjustment…I go out on the ride along with the mechanic. The truck now has the original noise at low rpm torque and it is still vibrating on the highway. Mechanic tells me he likes the previous setting and will dial back one.
So I go talk to the service director…and get the “well I don’t know what else to do then, my guy has been on this for 2 days and I need him for other work that’s come in”. “Just take the truck after he adjusts it and you’ll have to contact Nissan own your own”.Ok…So I go say goodbye to my sales woman and tell her what is going on…she takes me to the finance manager. He can’t believe what I was told by service about a car that is off the lot 1 month with 4000 miles. He tells me it’s the dealership’s job to contact Nissan…and they are already aware of the problem. He asked me to give them till Monday so they can talk to Nissan. Now they are not sure if the power train is misaligned due to the bad shaft…
So, right now I have my 2022 Parhfinder back and it is worse than when I brought it in.
Today I put 170 miles on it this morning ,150 of that highway. Still has the rattle at low rpm and it was the worst ride I’ve had on the highway since my 86TransAm I owned in 1991. Now I’m not bashing the Pathfinder in any way…I own 2 2022s and my wife’s is perfect. I think I got a “Monday-Friday” Pathfinder.

·
Registered
16 Posts
UPDATE TO POST #19…After digging around and actually talking with the Technicians from Nissan Corporate, it was determined that I had a bad drive shaft in the truck. It’s not that simple though…after making the discovery, the service director spoke with his contact at Nissan corporate and it was determined that he would pull a drive shaft out of a new pathfinder (which they had on the lot) and put it in mine. I arrived on Thursday morning happy as a clam to pick up my fixed truck. I was asked to test drive it, so I did. Now, I do a lot and I mean a lot of highway driving. So, I test drive begins…so signs of the rattle and I’m happy. Let’s head to the turnpike for a lap. Bam! Slap in the face…the whole truck is rattling, starting at 60mph on the highway. Back to the dealer and I let the service director know my findings. He drove my truck home the night prior and back to work this day…he noticed the truck was vibrating too. Time to adjust the drive shaft. So for informational purposes…the drive shaft has 8 adjust positions in the front and 4 in the rear. So…1st adjustment on the drive shaft taken out of a new vehicle…no noise at low speed…hard vibrations on highway. I take it back to the dealership and let them know. The General Manger comes over to check in on us and found out what the service director did to the new car…not happy…I walked away. They are going to overnight a new drive shaft for my truck.
Friday morning-I get there at 1030 an my car is out for a test drive…comes back and up on the lift it goes for an adjustment…this happens a total of 7 times. Finally on the last adjustment…I go out on the ride along with the mechanic. The truck now has the original noise at low rpm torque and it is still vibrating on the highway. Mechanic tells me he likes the previous setting and will dial back one.
So I go talk to the service director…and get the “well I don’t know what else to do then, my guy has been on this for 2 days and I need him for other work that’s come in”. “Just take the truck after he adjusts it and you’ll have to contact Nissan own your own”.Ok…So I go say goodbye to my sales woman and tell her what is going on…she takes me to the finance manager. He can’t believe what I was told by service about a car that is off the lot 1 month with 4000 miles. He tells me it’s the dealership’s job to contact Nissan…and they are already aware of the problem. He asked me to give them till Monday so they can talk to Nissan. Now they are not sure if the power train is misaligned due to the bad shaft…
So, right now I have my 2022 Parhfinder back and it is worse than when I brought it in.
Today I put 170 miles on it this morning ,150 of that highway. Still has the rattle at low rpm and it was the worst ride I’ve had on the highway since my 86TransAm I owned in 1991. Now I’m not bashing the Pathfinder in any way…I own 2 2022s and my wife’s is perfect. I think I got a “Monday-Friday” Pathfinder.
You have more patience then I would have in that situation.....

·
Registered
2022 Nissan Pathfinder (SL) FWD
304 Posts
Wow... Just wow... Thanks for the update. Interesting to see what Nissan comes back with on your case.

What would you consider acceptable at this point as you already have another 22 PF? Buy-back, replacement or just fix it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I like the pathfinder…I should say…my wife’s pathfinder. I would like to have it replaced and I hope Nissan would want it back to do some in-depth diagnostics on it, just in case there is a potential flaw that others will encounter. The pathfinder does suit my needs…so I’m hoping to hear some positive news in a little bit. Replacing it is fine by me. I think the dealership is done trying to repair it…

·
Registered
304 Posts
I like the pathfinder…I should say…my wife’s pathfinder. I would like to have it replaced and I hope Nissan would want it back to do some in-depth diagnostics on it, just in case there is a potential flaw that others will encounter. The pathfinder does suit my needs…so I’m hoping to hear some positive news in a little bit. Replacing it is fine by me. I think the dealership is done trying to repair it…
Makes sense. Nissan should be very receptive to your concerns, especially after having purchased (2) of them. Thanks again for sharing and please do keep us posted. Hoping for a reasonable outcome. 🤞

·
Registered
4 Posts
YES! My 2022 Pathfinder started making a clunking noise too...most noticeable when coming to a stop or accelerating from sitting. It sounded like a tin can popping in and out on the driver's rear floorboard. It was obnoxious. I went to the dealer and a tech went for a ride and immediately heard it. After the tech talked to Nissan ends up there is an issue with the sheet metal underneath on both sides near the rear wheel wells. Apparently the sheet metal was not manufactured properly and it was overlapping and buckling a bit under braking and acceleration....hence that tin can popping sound I heard. It was indeed the sheet metal popping in and out. Nissan advised the tech on the fix. It can occur on one or both sides. Basically he went in and tweaked the sheet metal on both sides...I think he added filler or something that filled that gap where it overlapped. It immediately fixed the issue. I told the dealer this should be a recall....they said it should be at least an advisory. Hope this helps!!!!!!!
My Pathfinder started to make the same noise as well. When going slow on turns I would hear a knocking sound from the rear passenger wheel well. Turns out there was a welding issue. Dealership informed me that an advisory or recall may be coMing shortly to address the issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
YES! My 2022 Pathfinder started making a clunking noise too...most noticeable when coming to a stop or accelerating from sitting. It sounded like a tin can popping in and out on the driver's rear floorboard. It was obnoxious. I went to the dealer and a tech went for a ride and immediately heard it. After the tech talked to Nissan ends up there is an issue with the sheet metal underneath on both sides near the rear wheel wells. Apparently the sheet metal was not manufactured properly and it was overlapping and buckling a bit under braking and acceleration....hence that tin can popping sound I heard. It was indeed the sheet metal popping in and out. Nissan advised the tech on the fix. It can occur on one or both sides. Basically he went in and tweaked the sheet metal on both sides...I think he added filler or something that filled that gap where it overlapped. It immediately fixed the issue. I told the dealer this should be a recall....they said it should be at least an advisory. Hope this helps!!!!!!!
I have the same issue. But my dealership still don't know what it is and taken this matter to Nissan. Your information is helpful.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My Pathfinder started to make the same noise as well. When going slow on turns I would hear a knocking sound from the rear passenger wheel well. Turns out there was a welding issue. Dealership informed me that an advisory or recall may be coMing shortly to address the issue.
I have the same issue. Still driving with that sound. My dealership hasn't offered a fix yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same issue. Still driving with that sound. My dealership hasn't offered a fix yet.
So my car was fixed by the Nissan dealership's body shop. The issue was 2 broken welds near the seat pillar on the rear passenger side. They did have to bring someone in from Nissan to look at the vehicle to figure things out. They had the car for almost 3 weeks to make the fix. I did file a claim with Nissan Consumer Affairs. They reimbursed me one months payment for the time they had the car. I have not heard or had any issues in the 3 weeks since having the car back.

·
Registered
304 Posts
So my car was fixed by the Nissan dealership's body shop. The issue was 2 broken welds near the seat pillar on the rear passenger side. They did have to bring someone in from Nissan to look at the vehicle to figure things out. They had the car for almost 3 weeks to make the fix. I did file a claim with Nissan Consumer Affairs. They reimbursed me one months payment for the time they had the car. I have not heard or had any issues in the 3 weeks since having the car back.
Thanks for sharing and glad they got it fixed. Did they give you any pics of the failure point before/after the fix? Curious what it looked like.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Lilito,

my vehicle has made the noise since new.It does it once the transmission gets hot, only under torque…light torgue…not flooring it. 1st through 4th and will change with the shift of the transmission. It is currently at thedealer again for the noise…they have all heard it, but can’t seem to locate it. This time is the last time they will look at…they are going to swap it out this time…that is from the sales manager and finance manager as of yesterday. I think it’s the torgue converter or drive shaft. It will not do it while running it on the lift…it needs to be putting torque to the wheels. I also had kinked lines in my sunroof drain tube which caused a leak in the A pillar where it meets the roof. Also, a reason they might not hear it…the road noise…if you have the Toyo Open Country A46 tires…they are loud with road noise. I swapped mine out to pirelli scorpion AS plus 3…much more quieter ride and easy to pick up the knocking sound. Again…easier to make out the sound though…made more aggravating with 4000 miles in the truck…It took me driving directly there when it was hot enough and I drove the director of service and his head technician and they heard it and it was . I am 49 years old and have owned 33 new cars…plus rebuilt…on my own from used cars 3 transmissions 2 motors 4 rears numerous brake jobs. You are not crazy…the rattle is in there. I have driven friends cars to trouble shoot noises before…I am not a mechanic…my friends say I have OCD and dog ears. I bought a 22 S for my wife and it is absolutely perfect…not a single noise 5 months old 3400 miles. Mine is a 22 sv 1 month old 4000 miles and has been to the dealer 4 times. We drive her’s more because I get so annoyed at the difference between the two vehicles…you could never guess they were the same. I started to wonder if there is not enough transmission fluid in the trans…as I have the tow package which comes with the upgraded transmission fluid cooler…wondering if they didn’t compensate for the when they put the fluid in…can’t check it… It is not a loose heat shield, or the engine protectors, or the long plastic tubs protecting the lines…been through it all. I hope this helps this helps and keep me posted. Oh by the way…this is the first new car I have ever had a problem with…outside of brakes, oil changes and routine maintenance never a problem. I average 24,000 a year…lots of road-tripping with my 8 year old. I just need to know I’m safe and the vehicle is reliable. Again,keep me posted and hopefully we can help Nissan if there is a defect.
HI, can you explain the noise you hear, and if you got any resolution. I hear a vibration/rattle noise in my 2022 Platinum- feels like the whole car just vibrates a little. I can visibly see the passenger seat vibrating even at low speeds ~20 MPH on any road not perfect (most roads!). I took it to dealer, they done force rebalance, and they can also hear it under passenger seat. Dealer said they drove 2 others and heard it in them too (Nissan recommended)- because of this said nothing they can do that its a baseline issue.
Any recommnedations?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for sharing and glad they got it fixed. Did they give you any pics of the failure point before/after the fix? Curious what it looked like.
They did not provide any pictures. However, I am taking the vehicle to the dealership on Monday as I am now hearing the same noise on the driver side. Not sure if the same broken weld issue happened there as well. The passneger side that was fixed is still good. More to come...

·
Registered
304 Posts
They did not provide any pictures. However, I am taking the vehicle to the dealership on Monday as I am now hearing the same noise on the driver side. Not sure if the same broken weld issue happened there as well. The passneger side that was fixed is still good. More to come...
Thanks for sharing! If possible, see if they can provide pictures of the actual failure point or issue. Might be helpful for future reference or others experiencing similar issues. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you for your input. This is a very valuable information. I have called the Nissan Consumer Affairs and now waiting to hear back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Our new SL has made a strange noise that sounds like someone dropping something metal (like chains) on the passenger floorboard. Before going to the dealer and getting the "you're crazy" look from the Service Department, I wanted to ask if anyone here has had a similar noise from their Pathfinder. There is absolutely nothing in the vehicle that could be causing this sound, but it has occurred three times.

Thanks in advance!

DrDanH
Mine made this noise and it seems to be a loose bolt with on one of the front wheels. Get it checked out immediately so you don't experience what I experienced!!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts