Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a pathfinder. I was looking at highlanders but finally realized that the pathfinders are slightly larger with more room behind the 3rd row (which is what I need). I owed a 2002 xterra for a while which I absolutely loved to death but it was killing me on gas.

I found a 2014 platinum with 70k miles on it that I test drove today. It drives great and everything functioned properly. They're asking $15,600 for it which from what I'm looking at seems like a decent price. Does that seem like a fair price?

Also, is there anything that I need to know about pathfinders before making the purchase? Common issues?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
4,047 Posts
to the forum! Prices vary according to where you live, but $15k for a '14 seems kinda high to me. Are you purchasing from a dealer or private party? Ask about any work that was done on the vehicle and get a repair history if you can. There have been a number of recalls, so make sure that they were performed. As with any vehicle, the Pathfinder has had it's share of issues. You were wise to join the forum and pose your questions before purchasing. Read through some of the threads and conduct a search on topics that interest you. And of course, feel free to ask any specific questions you may have.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in Chicago so everything's typically a bit more expensive. Compared to other vehicles this year and same mileage, this is priced pretty well.

As far as the CVT issue goes, how do I find out if this one is affected? I saw the car fax on it and didn't see anything concerning. It's originally from Canada. I would think that if it had this issue, it would have come out by now with 70k miles on it. I just did a quick read on the issue so maybe I'm wrong?

·
Super Moderator
2,065 Posts
Welcome to the forum !

So you know, the 2015 came with an updated screen and D-step, which changes how the CVT works so it simulates shifting.
My suggestion is, ask to take it to a dealer, get them to check if the transmission software is up to date and maybe get it updated if it isn't. In 2015 a new software came out with the capability to detect shudder and store a code if present. If you do not have a code, you might be ok but with these CVT's there is no guarantee that it won't fail later.

If the dash was not replaced with one that reads miles, you might be able to use that as leverage to bring the price down.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Nick, as much as I like our 2019 PF SV model, IMO, if you're expecting Xterra or Highlander reliability, it's not going to be there with a 2013+ PF. That's kind of typical IMO for the Nissan lineup for everything but the truck based Xterra and Frontiers.

Even with Chicago dollars, I wouldn't pay $15600+ for a 2014 w/ 70K miles. Search Herz car sales. You can buy a 2018 ex-rental for $18-19K with about 40K miles on them and they come with a warranty and you can buy reasonable extended warranties with them.

I've bought several ex-rental Nissans and other makes from dealerships. Never had an issue with them ever. My 2019 PF was a rental that I bought a few months ago with 23K miles on it for just under $24K.

Next time I plan to buy directly from the rental car company. Check Hertz rent 2 buy. You can rent the vehicle you're interested in for a few days at a discounted rental rate and if you wind up buying it, they waive the rental fee.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the forum !

So you know, the 2015 came with an updated screen and D-step, which changes how the CVT works so it simulates shifting.
My suggestion is, ask to take it to a dealer, get them to check if the transmission software is up to date and maybe get it updated if it isn't. In 2015 a new software came out with the capability to detect shudder and store a code if present. If you do not have a code, you might be ok but with these CVT's there is no guarantee that it won't fail later.

If the dash was not replaced with one that reads miles, you might be able to use that as leverage to bring the price down.
Thanks. Now that I'm terrified of this cvt issue, I found a 2017 for about the same price but higher miles. 83k on this one. How reliable are these vehicles? I'd be expecting to get at the very least 150k out of it.

·
Super Moderator
2,065 Posts
Thanks. Now that I'm terrified of this cvt issue, I found a 2017 for about the same price but higher miles. 83k on this one. How reliable are these vehicles? I'd be expecting to get at the very least 150k out of it.
There are many units out there that have been trouble free but if you can get a 2017+ you'll be on safer grounds.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had a 2014 Pathfinder S that I bought with 56k miles on it at the end of 2016. Never had any transmission issues. It was fairly reliable. However, there were many “fit and finish” issues that I didn’t care for. Also had trouble with wheel bearings and suspension (common to these vehicles). Had to replace radiator fans (also common).
I’ve always had Toyotas. This was my first Nissan.
Recently traded it for a 2016 Highlander LE Plus and couldn’t be happier. Yes, it is smaller and has less room behind the 3rd row, but it feels like home and has more creature comforts than the base model Pathfinder.
That being said, we took many road trips in the Pathy and it served us well (plenty of room and pretty good gas mileage for this segment). It just didn’t inspire confidence that it would last to 150k+ miles. Had 116k miles when we traded.
Good on you for doing your research before purchase. I hope you find what you’re looking for.

·
Super Moderator
4,047 Posts
I had a 2014 Pathfinder S that I bought with 56k miles on it at the end of 2016...

Recently traded it for a 2016 Highlander LE Plus and couldn’t be happier.
Thanks for checking back in! Good luck with your Highli!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts