Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I has started the lemon law process on my Pathfinder, I am starting to look at replacement vehicles. I have to admit the Pathfinder does have a combination of size, power, styling, etc that others have not yet caught up with.

Regardless, one set of vehicles that I am looking at would be the 2014 Dodge Durango or Jeep Grand Cherokee. On paper they seem to have all of the features of my SL for the same price range, and an 8 speed transmission.

Any opinions about the current generation (2011 - 2014) (don't want to hear about a 1997 Durango and its problems) of either Durango or Cherokee, particularly the 2014s?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I've driven a 2013 GC.

It drives well. has great power. And has some good 4x4 modes.

Not that great on gas. And interior is not as nice as the pathfinder in my opinion.

Dont know anything about Durangos

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've driven a 2013 GC.

It drives well. has great power. And has some good 4x4 modes.

Not that great on gas. And interior is not as nice as the pathfinder in my opinion.

Dont know anything about Durangos
Yea, have no interest in 4x4 or V8, a V6 and RWD with 8 speed will work fine. Have not climbed into one yet, but hopefully the Limited version will suffice. My wife does not like the looks of the Durango, too butch. No significant price difference between the Durango and Jeep.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
The new SRT GC is amazing, such a beast, i wish Nissan did something like this, or better yet Infiniti but they have yet to do it.

Something just as good on a Nissan level would be amazing.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've also seen the Grand Cherokee and thought that it was an admirable vehicle. It is quite comfortable. The interior isn't amazing, but it also does not look cheap. It drives really well too. After having an unpleasant experience with the Pathfinder are you set on switching to something else?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've also seen the Grand Cherokee and thought that it was an admirable vehicle. It is quite comfortable. The interior isn't amazing, but it also does not look cheap. It drives really well too. After having an unpleasant experience with the Pathfinder are you set on switching to something else?
Yup, was hoping the problems went away with the 2014s, but as you can read from postings that even vehicles built in Sept 2013 still has the shudder. I give up.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Hopefully Nissan figures out a permanent fix for it. It seems to be part of the reason people are holding back on buying what is a great car.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Isn't the Grand Cherokee a 5 seater that is more comparable to the Murano or the Journey?

I haven't driven the newest Durango, but in my research that was the only other vehicle that really compared to the pathfinder in terms of configuration/features in the 7 seat SUV category.

I eliminated Dodge because I don't like their controls or styling, but would have picked the Explorer and Traverse as the next-best options.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hopefully Nissan figures out a permanent fix for it. It seems to be part of the reason people are holding back on buying what is a great car.
But how will you know for sure when they have 'the fix'? Nissan isn't going to hold a press conference and admit the original design was defective.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And for what it is worth, the Jeep GC does not have a 3rd row seat, the Durango does. My mistake.

·
Administrator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,771 Posts
I guess it all depends what you're looking for in a vehicle. For me, the #1 priority was good gas mileage (at least 18 mpg City), so I started with the EPA guides and worked from there. Diesels get great gas mileage, but bring on a whole other set of issues, so we eliminated those. The next priority for us was towing capability, so we looked for candidates that met a 4500+ weight criterion. That pretty much eliminated everything but the Pathfinder.

What I'm saying is start with your must-haves and whittle down from there. There are also a lot of great certified pre-owned vehicles out there. It's a buyer's market right now. Ask me. I know. I've been trying to sell an '02 Chevy Trailblazer for over a month now with not many takers (except maybe CarMaxx and charities).

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I'm trying to remember the name, but we did have another member who lemon lawed their PF and switched to a Jeep GC. If you can find the thread, it might be worth PMing him to get his impressions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My sister owned a '13 GC. It's a nice SUV if you're not looking for a 3rd row. The only thing she regret is that she should of waited for the '14 model. I would pick the Durango over the GC but that's just me.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
What about the new Cherokee? yes you loose even more space but its more affordable than the GC and just as good of a car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts