Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I've seen very limited info online in regards to the newer JF017E CVTs having a chain as opposed to the belts Jatco has been using for years, but apparently it's a thing on the newer Pathfinders:

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
It's my understanding that all R52 Pathfinder CVTs have a chain. That's what gives it its towing capacity.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think you are right PoManz, from what i read it's only on the 17 and up, which gives the tow rating and was supposed to be the "fix" for the cvt's poor reliability. I could be wrong i got this 2nd hand from my old co-worker who works with Nissan.

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
Here is a page from my 2013 service manual. In 2013, the Infiniti JX35 was the sister model to the Pathfinder and only had a 3500 lb. towing capacity because the CVT was belt driven. Maybe that is what you were thinking of.

cvt diagram.jpg

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
ALL R52 Pathfinders came with a chain. That is what allowed it to tow up to 5000 lbs and then 6000 lbs (2017+) with the revised suspension and added hp's.
Muranos and Rogues come with a belt and that is the main reason they can only tow 1500 - 1000 lbs.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gotcha. Thanks for that.

I couldn't tell from the vigorous amounts of threads on the topic.

·
Registered
407 Posts
All R52s have the CVT8 with the chain. This issue has never been the belt/chain, its the pressure control valve in the CVT Oil Pump, which regulates the flow of CVT fluid contracting and expanding the pulleys that the chain is attached to.

The Valve is made out of aluminium and scores easily and sometimes even seizes due to wear from metal particles in the CVT fluid, which then creates the domino effect, pulleys to expend contract correctly, chain slips and bounces, creates more wear with metal particles entering the cvt fluid and gradually it gets worse and worse.

There are after market valves which are made from titanium, to fix this, but you need to basically tear down the whole CVT to replace this $20 part. Hence why Nissan did F.. All about it. There has been new oil pumps designed, to do away with the pressure control valve altogether, and suspect these are in the newer builds, like 17 onwards as this pump was late 2016 design.

It's anyones guess if Nissan started updating the pumps in the reman CVTs for the ones prior to this or if they even used titanium valves, guess we won't know unless they disclose it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
That's a great explanation!

Makes you wonder if all Nissan CVT failures are similar (all models). The root cause is not the belt/chain itself, but the components that control fluid pressure, eventually causing the belt/chain to fail.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts