Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will have to make a service appointment but I wanted to check if any of you had an opinion or history of this.

I have not experienced the "rumble strip" type noise but I am becoming aware of an ever increasing problem(it's slight and my wife hasn't noticed it yet) I originally thought the tires were becoming unbalanced(still could be the case) now it feels like a few times a second power is cutting off. This certainly could be the tranny continually hesitating or something associated with the fuel line. This hesitation is more pronounced leaving from a dead stop.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
175 Posts
That sounds like the judder issue that stems from the transmission. It seems worse off the start because it has to do with acceleration and many people accelerate heavily off of a stop. Your wife may have a lighter foot than you, which would explain why she hasn't noticed it yet.

·
Registered
440 Posts
This hesitation is more pronounced leaving from a dead stop.
The service bulletin for the shudder explicitly states that the speed when it occurs must be between 18 and 35 mph, and the throttle must be at roughly 10%. It could be a separate (or related) issue that has yet to be identified, but your symptoms sound very different than mine.

When I apply a slight amount of gas when coasting around 25mph in traffic, it feels as if the transmission wants to "downshift" (or whatever the CVT ratio change is called) but can't decide what gear (ratio) it should select. It feels like it shudders as it "hunts" around for a gear.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The service bulletin for the shudder explicitly states that the speed when it occurs must be between 18 and 35 mph, and the throttle must be at roughly 10%. It could be a separate (or related) issue that has yet to be identified
I really wondered about that statement when I first read that tsb. Mine shuddered anywhere from 15 to 60 mph (a non-stop shudder at 45 and 60 mph) on the first CVT. Still, they replaced the torque converter and the issue was corrected for about 900 mi., then the same symptoms returned along with some new ones.

tallison24, what you're experiencing was identical to one of issues I was having after the afore mentioned tsb was performed and the shudder had returned. The dealership hooked it up to a computer and discovered an internal CVT failure, ultimately leading to the CVT needing to be replaced. Not trying to diagnose yours, just heads up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really wondered about that statement when I first read that tsb. Mine shuddered anywhere from 15 to 60 mph (a non-stop shudder at 45 and 60 mph) on the first CVT. Still, they replaced the torque converter and the issue was corrected for about 900 mi., then the same symptoms returned along with some new ones.

tallison24, what you're experiencing was identical to one of issues I was having after the afore mentioned tsb was performed and the shudder had returned. The dealership hooked it up to a computer and discovered an internal CVT failure, ultimately leading to the CVT needing to be replaced. Not trying to diagnose yours, just heads up.
Thanks for the heads up. What was the internal failure listed as on the service order?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts