Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm a 24 year old, looking to purchase my first car. Still live with the family: parents, and a 21 year old brother.

My question is the Pathfinder an okay choice for me? I've been reading a lot that it's a women's car, a family car aka minivan and that's not what I'm looking for.

Lastly, if I do go with the Pathfinder what manufacturing date should I get? I know with the numerous recalls I should be looking for as recent as possible but how recent exactly? To avoid the transmission and air bag problems etc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
IMO it depends on what your plans are as far as use. I don't go out seeking off-road adventures but I did need the room for my family. As someone whose quite secure in his masculinity (sp) I tend not to listen what the "good ole boys" say about it being a woman's car. Ultimately its your decision and I realize people "see" things differently. If you need something to "play" in and don't require the room, get an older model or a jeep and have at it.

As far as manufacturing dates, I have no idea as mine was made in January. I don't have the "shudder" issue nearly as often. It only happens when I'm rapidly slowing down and making a turn. I've tried to make it happen but I have no control. Good luck with whatever you purchase and sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hey, I'm a 24 year old, looking to purchase my first car. Still live with the family: parents, and a 21 year old brother.

My question is the Pathfinder an okay choice for me? I've been reading a lot that it's a women's car, a family car aka minivan and that's not what I'm looking for.

Lastly, if I do go with the Pathfinder what manufacturing date should I get? I know with the numerous recalls I should be looking for as recent as possible but how recent exactly? To avoid the transmission and air bag problems etc.
If you're 24 and still living with your parents I would have to say that finding a car that is "manly" as you call it should be the last of your worries. It doesn't matter what you drive if you're still bunked up with your parents. But on the other note, you shouldn't be concerned what people think of your car as long as you enjoy it and any build date after February has a much lower occurrence of problems. Go test drive it see it for yourself, and please move out of your parent's house, women prefer a guy with their own place more than a manly car. I'm nearly 30, married, and have 3 large hunting dogs, it works for me.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I think this whole idea of the new pathfinder being "woman's car" is because it's no longer on a truck frame. Seems like the hardcore truck on frame pathfinder guys like to call it a womans car.

the new pathfinder definitely isn't as "manly" as other SUV's, but manly SUV's are basically truck frame, big engines (V8's), etc.

don't worry about what people say, if you like it, get it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not looking to do anything off road, basically city use and some long drives in the summers. I gave my age because I'm not sure if I fit into the demographic. I'm from Eastern background where guys take care of their parents and live with them practically always. So that's not a concern for me.

I'm not a fan of the boxy manly suvs actually but the reason I asked is does the new model look like a minivan? I've read some comments saying it does and that's what concerns me. Along with the fact I've read many of you hear state you bought this suv for your lady.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, I've read some people on the net say the new look already looks dated. I personally loved the new look when I first saw it and still mostly do today. However just wanting to have my concerns addressed before I spend all this $$$. Does it really look outdated? I don't get from what angle people see it that way.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If the Pathfinder's not being viewed as a manly truck is keeping you from buying one--keep looking. If you keep coming back to the Pathfinder because it does what you need a vehicle to do--then buy one. Your choice in a vehicle does say something about you, but it does not make you who you are. You can always "man-up" a vehicle by adding accessories: big, black wheel flares, some camouflage tape, fish and game stickers, fake bullet holes, chrome reclining ladies, large antennas, large, lugged tires, semi-truck sun visors. . . Heck, I added a tow hitch and a manly fishing boat, fourwheeler and snowmobiles and a canoe/bike rack to the roof. AAARRRGG! Manly now!
And my wife still likes to drive it.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Personally, I believe those that associate their own masculinity with the vehicle they drive to be overcompensating for inadequate genitalia (j/k :D)

Having driven a boxy minivan on steroids (AKA the Pilot) for several years, I've found that I prefer the more sleek styling of crossovers like the Pathfinder. In reality, a minivan is probably more practical for my family situation, but I like the added ground clearance and all-weather capability a modern crossover affords. The new Pathfinder provides the best compromise of those two needs.

That said, if I were a 24-year-old dude, who didn't have kids or much in the way of responsibility, I'd be looking at something like a Mustang GT, or if I wanted to be more frugal with the fuel, probably a Subaru BRZ.... not a mommy mobile ;)

Enjoy it while lasts, my friend... because once the wife and kids come along, having a truly sweet ride will be just a day dream unless you can afford to keep two vehicles for yourself.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Pathfinder a womans car? I've never heard of that one before.

Where does that put all the other CUVs?

·
Registered
150 Posts
That said, if I were a 24-year-old dude, who didn't have kids or much in the way of responsibility, I'd be looking at something like a Mustang GT, or if I wanted to be more frugal with the fuel, probably a Subaru BRZ.... not a mommy mobile ;)
My thoughts exactly. Get a Pathfinder if you really want to, but if you're young, and single, I'd buy something more fun than an SUV. A muscle car or an affordable sports coupe if you can afford it.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
LOL here's a great way to make your new Pathfinder more a man's car...

a pair of trailer hitch nuts should do the trick, just don't get them in blue.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Add a set of those rubber nuts on the back. That should be manly enough. Seriously save your money and don't waste it on a vehicle. I bought my first house when I was 23 but I had to sacrifice.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I agree. Or look into used. I know I couldn't afford a brand new car when I was 24 :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Honestly I would say get what you want if you can afford it regardless of age or relationship status. I've had a number of vehicles and I'm 26. Traded in my '07 3series for the '13 Finder and honestly gotta say I like it a lot better. Sure I miss the speed and torque of the Beamer but to me nothing I've had tops this SUV/CUV whatever anyone want to call it. But I do have to say once this is paid off, my next will be either a Maxima, 370z, or 37x!

·
Registered
186 Posts
All I know is that I get plenty of compliments and stoplight looks of envy from other guys in SUVs. Just ask the guys I beat out last month in an offroad course contest what they think! In either case I would challenge the need for such a large suv? I think the Xterra would be a cool fun option for you and you can get some incredible deals on late year used models.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
It's a nice looking SUV that is for sure. No doubt about that. I mean if the Pathfinder is what you want go for it! Nothing wrong with that. As long as you can afford it there is nothing wrong with buying a brand new car.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Seems like a pretty silly thread. I never even heard the PF referred to as a woman's car. I would say it's built for families.

a pair of trailer hitch nuts should do the trick, just don't get them in blue.[/QUOTE]

HAHA

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
All I know is that I get plenty of compliments and stoplight looks of envy from other guys in SUVs. Just ask the guys I beat out last month in an offroad course contest what they think! In either case I would challenge the need for such a large suv? I think the Xterra would be a cool fun option for you and you can get some incredible deals on late year used models.
That's what I noticed too. When driving (not mine) a few people said how nice it looked and asked if it was a Lexus, Acura, Infiniti, etc. But to their surprise it was "just a Nissan"

Gotta love how the new Pathfinder has some class to it. Pathfinders have come a long way,

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
They shed the rugged truck look for a more refined city/family car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts