Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my question is as stated. Is it possible to use a 2013 Nisan Pathfinder platinum 4WD as an overlanding vehicle? Do they make lift kits for this year and trim? Do they make the necessary equipment needed for overlanding with this vehicle? Please let me know. Thanks for all your help..

·
Administrator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,766 Posts
If by "overlanding" you mean "off-roading", this gen of Pathfinder is not really meant for that. This is a crossover platform aimed to primarily target the minivan crowd. There are many discussions about this on the forum if you search.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If by "overlanding" you mean "off-roading", this gen of Pathfinder is not really meant for that. This is a crossover platform aimed to primarily target the minivan crowd. There are many discussions about this on the forum if you search.
Yea, that makes sense. Just came up on a platinum trim with low miles. Saw that it had AWD but wasn't sure of its capabilities. I'll check the forum. Thanks!

·
Administrator
4,766 Posts
AWD in the case of the Pathfinder only kicks in when needed, such as on a slippery road. You can lock the AWD for a short distance, but it disengages as you gain speed. Otherwise, the vehicle is basically FWD.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AWD in the case of the Pathfinder only kicks in when needed, such as on a slippery road. You can lock the AWD for a short distance, but it disengages as you gain speed. Otherwise, the vehicle is basically FWD.
At what speed does the locked 4WD disengage?

·
Administrator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
3,009 Posts
I had to search overlanding to know what you were talking about.
In my opinion, you want to start with a vehicle with an actual chassis (Land Cruiser, Land Rover, Wrangler, etc). From what I read, overlanding is about exploring and customizing your vehicle to get to those places not many people have been before. The R52 Pathfinder won't get you there, an R51 is a better choice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had to search overlanding to know what you were talking about.
In my opinion, you want to start with a vehicle with an actual chassis (Land Cruiser, Land Rover, Wrangler, etc). From what I read, overlanding is about exploring and customizing your vehicle to get to those places not many people have been before. The R52 Pathfinder won't get you there, an R51 is a better choice.
Thank you for your input. I really wish I could have come up on an R50 or R51. That would have been more ideal. I was literally given the R52 for very little money and only had 63k miles. Not bad for a 2013. So I just couldn't say no. That's unfortunate though that I won't be able to overland with this vehicle. But it'll be a nice family vehicle.

·
Administrator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
3,009 Posts
Ok, so you already got it, missed that part.
This video shows that when you demand too much of the the R52, it will just shutdown and not give you any wheel spin, making it a vehicle for very light off-road use.

One member lifted his R52 but then also had some other issues. Read here.

·
Administrator
4,766 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts