Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently updated the interior lights of my 2022 Pathfinder with LEDs. I haven't seen anybody post any pictures of the process and thought it would be helpful for others.

I purchased the LED bulbs from Amazon, based on recommendations in another thread. Everything fit and worked without any issues.
10 pack LED bulbs for doors and dome lights (six needed + two if swapping vanity lights)
4 pack Festoon bulbs for 3rd row and liftgate (two needed)

I highly recommend getting yourself a set of trim removal tools if you don't have any. If you try to use a metal screwdriver, you'll run the risk of scratching, cutting, gauging, or causing other damage to the car's interior.
This set is inexpensive, under $10, and has what you'll need.
Auto trim removal tool

Gadget Bumper Automotive exterior Audio equipment Automotive tire

Sleeve Line Rectangle Font Personal protective equipment

Trunk Bumper Automotive exterior Bag Gas

After prying out, unplug from vehicle and remove the clear cover to access the bulb

Camera accessory Cameras & optics Camera lens Font Gadget

Automotive lighting Eyewear Rectangle Bumper Automotive design

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive parking light Bumper Automotive design

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting Bumper

Automotive lighting Material property Font Gas Space

For both the 3rd row and liftgate, unplug the lights to replace the bulbs easier.

Black Bumper Automotive exterior Font Rectangle

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've realized the LED bulbs I used for the dome lights are way too bright for me. The interior of the vehicle lit up like a showroom store at night. Being close to some of the bulbs, like the front driver/passenger dome light, was blinding if you looked up at them. I decided to take the bulbs out and use electrical tape to cover some of the LEDs on each bulb. This reduced output by about half and is still plenty bright and not blinding if you look directly at them. I did this for front-row, second-row dome lights, and vanity lights and left the others.
Computer data storage Memory card Circuit component Flash memory Electronic component

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've realized the LED bulbs I used for the dome lights are way too bright for me. The interior of the vehicle lit up like a showroom store at night. Being close to some of the bulbs, like the front driver/passenger dome light, was blinding if you looked up at them.
I thought about that when I saw the bulbs you bought but figured maybe you wanted it extra bright :) Did you tape off both sides and just leave the top LED's? or one side only? Wonder if the tape will cause the bulbs to heat up more than normal? The T10's I used were from 2yrs ago and I don't recall which brand they were but had smaller LED 'chips' than yours so doesn't have that harsh brightness. What I did for the 3rd row was to turn the bulb so roughly 40-50% of the light is focused into the housing vs downward into the car. This softened the light coming into the cabin and removed the extra brightness of the festoon. The cargo area one I let full light out coz I like the trunk area nice and bright. I didn't change my vanity's yet coz I haven't had a need to use them yet lol.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wrapped tape around the bulb so it covered both sides. The LED's actually get hotter than I expected without the tape, but the tape didn't seem to affect it too much, from what I could tell. I left the 3rd row and tailgate lights at full brightness because I like having the extra lumens back there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wrapped tape around the bulb so it covered both sides. The LED's actually get hotter than I expected without the tape, but the tape didn't seem to affect it too much, from what I could tell. I left the 3rd row and tailgate lights at full brightness because I like having the extra lumens back there.
If I were you, I wouldn't wrap them at all. Besides LEDs there are transistors and resistors that will def overheat and could melt sockets and housing. Take it for what ever it worth to you, just my suggestion.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have swapped out the LED bulbs with different ones that are lower lumens. These new ones don't get hot and are not as blinding either.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Interesting. And you're not having any flickering or any dash warning messages? The reason I ask is coz I looked at these very same bulbs a few weeks ago for my bro-in-law's Tundra but no where in the pictures or in the listing does it say they are CANBUS, or error-free. Plus the listing itself is very confusing which LED's they truly are. The description says they are
2825 5SMD
but further down the page under the 'Product Description' section it says
  • Chipsets:3030 SMD
As you may know, 2825 = 2.8mm x 2.5mm LED's which produce a certain Lumen. 3030 = 3.0mm x 3.0mm with different Lumen.

So I passed on them but seems they are working fine for you. But just for piece of mind, maybe find out from the seller if they are CANBUS/error-free as car computers are very sensitive and any resistance change may trigger a dash message or the dreaded CEL.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So far they have been working good. No flicker, turn on/off properly, and fade off when door is closed. Just as important, for me, they aren't excruciating bright and don't get excessively hot.
I believe CANBUS LEDs may be necessary in certain vehicle's if they have problems with the normal ones, but it doesn't seem to be the case with the 2022 Pathfinder.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Are you saying the new 2022 will throw a light out error if an interior cabin light is out? Wow. The R52 doesn't even use the CANBUS system on any bulbs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you saying the new 2022 will throw a light out error if an interior cabin light is out? Wow. The R52 doesn't even use the CANBUS system on any bulbs.
No, I've pretty much confirmed the 2022 Pathfinder does not need CANBUS bulbs.

·
Registered
2022 Pathfinder Platinum
36 Posts
I just upgraded mine with your suggestions @gregertech and I have zero complaints. Thanks for the write-up on how to do it by the way. Took about 30 minutes or so because I was extra careful but it is very simple.

It is bright but I kind of like that for security reasons since it's my wife's car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I recently updated the interior lights of my 2022 Pathfinder with LEDs. I haven't seen anybody post any pictures of the process and thought it would be helpful for others.

I purchased the LED bulbs from Amazon, based on recommendations in another thread. Everything fit and worked without any issues.
10 pack LED bulbs for doors and dome lights (six needed + two if swapping vanity lights)

I highly recommend getting yourself a set of trim removal tools if you don't have any. If you try to use a metal screwdriver, you'll run the risk of scratching, cutting, gauging, or causing other damage to the car's interior.
Auto trim removal tool

View attachment 16421
View attachment 16422

View attachment 16423
After prying out, unplug from vehicle and remove the clear cover to access the bulb

View attachment 16424
View attachment 16425

View attachment 16428
View attachment 16431
View attachment 16429
For both the 3rd row and liftgate, unplug the lights to replace the bulbs easier.
Fantastic!!! I wish I had seen this post before I bought the LED package. The dealership claimed the rear passenger lights wouldn't fit so they ordered 2 brackets??? Then claimed they didn't even need them. 5-6 hours at the dealership......Great job...great post!!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts

Auto trim removal tool

View attachment 16421
View attachment 16422

View attachment 16423

View attachment 16424
View attachment 16425

View attachment 16428
View attachment 16431
View attachment 16429

View attachment 16430
I just did mine thank you so much for saving me a lot of money lol

·
Registered
1 Posts

Auto trim removal tool

View attachment 16421
View attachment 16422

View attachment 16423

View attachment 16424
View attachment 16425

View attachment 16428
View attachment 16431
View attachment 16429

View attachment 16430
I started to replace the lights with your recommended ones , tried the map light first now none work, even after replacing the originals

·
Registered
32 Posts
I started to replace the lights with your recommended ones , tried the map light first now none work, even after replacing the originals
What do you mean none work? Are you saying all lights are out? If so, you probably shorted something and blew the fuse.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts