Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a list of proposed mods:

Intake

-K&N Typhoon cold air intake kit (BTW it gives off a very nice sound when revving the engine)
-JET chips MAF sensor
-Maxima throttle body swap (it's 5mm bigger and you can get a remanufactured OEM one for pretty cheap)

Exhaust

-Gutted Cats (cost effective)
-Maxima performance Headers (deletes the cats)
-Insights on muffler and resonator options

Figured I'd start a discussion on this to get as much power as our shitty transmissions will handle, because a turbo would make our cars turn into soup sandwiches.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
NWP and CZP both make kits for the 75mm throttle body. the kit adapts it to the plenum with a custom throttle body spacer.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The biggest question I have been pondering is if the bigger bore on the Maxima throttle body will be negated by the intake tube where the MAF is on the K&N intake for the Pathfinder because the Altimas that this is commonly done to have the same intake sizes yet they claim HP gains (NWP)?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not sure that many (if any) on this forum have gotten very far into performance mods. Please do report back, through. I don’t have need for a lot of performance gains, but am interested to learn about what YOU can gain. Always interested in improving fuel economy, though. :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure that many (if any) on this forum have gotten very far into performance mods. Please do report back, through. I don’t have need for a lot of performance gains, but am interested to learn about what YOU can gain. Always interested in improving fuel economy, though. :)
BTW the K&N kit for our Pathfinders is money, I found a used kit with a brand new AFE filter for $150 half the price of a new kit and well worth the money and easy to install.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The way you have it set up, your engine is always sucking hot air from the engine bay which works against your performance. Extending it and relocating the intake to the front would be beneficial.
The stock air dam is still bringing in fresh air from the front of the vehicle when it is moving which dumps it directly in front of the filter there is also a heat shield around the filter, I'd say that's as good as it gets.

·
Registered
33 Posts
From my experience modding cars, having your intake like that won't do a ton. Your better bet is to have a high flow drop in the box, you will be potentially sucking hot air in. When i was doing high end turbo mustangs (It's a little different of course but it roughly translates) the HP was nearly 20hp on the high end, tho i honestly haven't looked at the Pathfinder setup you mentioned the cold air from the air dam but unless you had an IAT sensor or something in that area to measure air temps it's a crap shoot on gains, i'm betting it's more of placebo affect.

I've never had good luck with throttle bodys on a N/A engines but it might be nice for towing? Headers would probably work very well on our NA engines, especially looking at the z, and maxima forums the gains were pretty good on the low end grunt side (great for towing). Not sure if the gutted cats would translate well, i've never done anything like that as the smell is horrible and i used to just add a high flow cat. I'm def curious would be awesome if you could get it on a dyno i'm super curious.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I have Gutted my manifold cats (major PITA btw). O2 sensors have foulers on them. Before gutting them the codes went away but after I Gutted them I'm getting all sorts of codes due to improper voltage signal coming from the sensors. I do feel like have made a slight gain. I ran it for a few days without the Y pipe lol. It was loud AF, couldn't even tell wether I was making power or not at least high end rpms it felt good. But low rpm torque was just bleh. I'm going to have to go with O2 simulators because the computer is being to picky and the voltage readings are still not within specs because the cats were removed. I left the coverter in the Y pipe alone FYI.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On the other hand a good universal high flow cat on my Y pipe would be a good choice if I still wanted to pass a smog test. Any thoughts? The Y pipe cat is in a good spot to be replaced with a universal weld in. that way if they don't want to pass me for a missions I can tell them to shut up and shove the smog tester up the tailpipe.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From my experience modding cars, having your intake like that won't do a ton. Your better bet is to have a high flow drop in the box, you will be potentially sucking hot air in. When i was doing high end turbo mustangs (It's a little different of course but it roughly translates) the HP was nearly 20hp on the high end, tho i honestly haven't looked at the Pathfinder setup you mentioned the cold air from the air dam but unless you had an IAT sensor or something in that area to measure air temps it's a crap shoot on gains, i'm betting it's more of placebo affect.

I've never had good luck with throttle bodys on a N/A engines but it might be nice for towing? Headers would probably work very well on our NA engines, especially looking at the z, and maxima forums the gains were pretty good on the low end grunt side (great for towing). Not sure if the gutted cats would translate well, i've never done anything like that as the smell is horrible and i used to just add a high flow cat. I'm def curious would be awesome if you could get it on a dyno i'm super curious.
I could find some sort of material to better insulate the filter, close the gaps around the K&N box. Would that help in conjunction with the air dam?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"I" personally think that if there were fuel economy gains to be had it would result in a loss of power. So below a certain speed would be where the gains lie, however most driving speeds in the low range are short distances, Highway MPG would be where the gains would truly be effective. If you really want more fuel economy get smaller tires, seriously, go as small as you can go and drive carefully.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just an FYI for everyone the JET chips MAF sensor appears to be a reprogrammed stock sensor, so as someone has already said and I know as well, its gotta go on a Dyno to know if I made a difference on anything, Im debting on the Kinetix intake plenum...but $700 for a part that would perform better on a turbo setup would be a crapshoot. Not to mention the reviews on that manifold prove that the welds are shoddy and not worth the extra $$. Im sure it makes HP gains but quality and price are in question, could always add more weld lol no harm there :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm all for customizing your ride the way you like it, but unless you're able to modify fuel trims which is going to kill your fuel economy and stress the engine and CVT even further, I don't see how any of this does anything but give you a custom look, more noise, etc.

It is good to hear the anitfoulers are keeping the catalyst inefficiency codes away with gutted cats. Should mean they'll work for those with the dreaded P0420 with cats in place.

I'm not knocking it! More power to ya, it's just these vehicles are what they are. I can't see trashing a 2015 Pathfinder.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How would I be able to modify my fuel trims? I need to know how to tune the computer or a system that will allow me to do so,I want to be able to switch tunes to go back to saving fuel.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts