Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 SV. Just approached 100K. Recently has been making a whining noise that kicks in at about 30mph. I thought it was the front wheel hubs. Changed both of those and nothing. When i switch to neutral it still makes noise. O/D on/off seems to have no effect. Switching from AWD to 2WD no effect As it slows down it almost sounds grinding. I probably need to change a bunch of stuff like transfer case oil, differentials, etc.

without throwing a zillion dollars on stuff, what would be the next thing to check/change? Transfer case fluid maybe? I don’t really have the spare cash to throw a ton of money on it until a few weeks from now. Waiting on a tax refund if it’s something major.

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,254 Posts
Could be your power steering pump. Do a forum search for "whining" and you see a few threads that might point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ll check the power steering. It’s very much a noise I can’t live with. I do Uber occasionally in this car so I can’t have a ton of janky noise even if it’s inconsequential.

I regreased the brake slides up front. I swore it was a hub noise Upfront passenger side. I guess I’ll see how hard it is to change some of the fluids in my driveway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah. I’m going to see what I can accomplish this week. Some have been changed but i know I didn’t have the transfer case done. Hoping that’s the culprit

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
536 Posts
If you're hearing the noise at ~30mph, I doubt it's the electronic power steering unit. I suppose you never know, but the system isn't under load when you're up to some speed and not turning the wheel.

At 100K miles, I hope you've changed the CVT fluid a time or two. It turns black and nasty looking at half that mileage. To me they're about as easy as an engine oil change to change fluid on, but you have to be certain to use Nissan NS-3 or equivalent fluid.

Transfer case could be an issue as well. They only hold a few ounces of gear oil and are packed close to hot exhaust. I had a thread a few months back where I showed what the factory T-case gear oil looked like when I drained it from my 2019 PF at ~25K miles. It looked glittery and terrible. It's just standard 75w90. The T-case is being spun any time the vehicle is in motion because the front right CV shaft basically runs through it. Changing oil on it is a bit of a challenge given the location of the refill plug, but can be done with a squeeze bag of gear oil and a hose over the nipple, or from above with a long section of hose and a funnel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 2016 PF with 52k miles has been making similar whining noise too. Before, It started at 45-50mph and now getting much louder and starts at 30mpg. Front wheel bearing have been changed by dealer. I do all the maintenance at 5k intervals at dealer too.
I need to have dealer check again at 55k service.
Please post if u find the problem.
Thx.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Hmm noise for my 2016 platinum was the RR wheel bearing. Replaced under warranty and it great again. Too bad dealer didn't want to change the RL bearing too. :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry. With Covid etc I just kind of parked the car and it wasn’t essential. Tonight I finally got back on it. Drained the transfer case. 0 oil came out. I filled it up, does this only take like 6-8oz or something? I filled as much as I could. Drove it for the first time in 3-4 months. Sounds 1000% better BUT not perfect. I’m wondering if maybe it’ll lube up a bit and fix the slight noise with some usage. I didn’t have any thread lock so I guess I’m going to re-do it in a week when it’s worked a bit. Job wasn’t terribly hard. Just needed a 10mm hex bit and I have a jack with a cross beam

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,376 Posts
If no oil came out, that is not good. Two things:
  • There could be a leak that you need to fix.
  • There could be some permanent damage due to lack of lubrication. Most likely the bearings are now worn and they will whine. With proper lubrication you could just live with the noise as long as the whine doesn't turn to grind. Grinding would mean that gears/shafts are out of alignment and can eventually self destroy.
It does use very little oil, the exact amount is in the owners manual.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts