Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never had a CVT in any vehicle, can you 2013 PF owners let me know how it sounds and drives compared to your previous vehicle now that you've had them? Is it better than anything you've had before?

Thank you!!

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
You really need to take it on a test drive to get a feel for it. It's a little different from what you've experienced previously. Description really won't do it justice.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I find it very smooth so far. I have only driven it maybe 100 miles so far so it will take time before I can give you my honest opinion.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I really don't understand all the cvt haters out there. I find it to be very smooth, and much quieter than the cvt in my 2010 Altima. Really like my new Pathfinder.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I really don't understand all the cvt haters out there. I find it to be very smooth, and much quieter than the cvt in my 2010 Altima. Really like my new Pathfinder.
I agree. How can you not love responses to throttle input resulting in you being taken directly to the engine's sweet spot, and holding you there until you lay off?

No waiting for downshifts, no awkward shifts of any kind, no "gear hunting", always in the powerband. What's not to love? I've heard of complaints about "droning", but that's only when you're on the gas and stay on. As soon as you let off, the noise abates.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I with everyone seeing CVT as a positive thing. Don't CVT's help deliver more power at lower speeds?
That, and better MPG due to an infinite number of gears.

The only question mark in my mind is longevity, but with the steel chain in the PF's new CVT, I don't even think that's cause for concern.

·
Registered
112 Posts
That, and better MPG due to an infinite number of gears.

The only question mark in my mind is longevity, but with the steel chain in the PF's new CVT, I don't even think that's cause for concern.

About longevity, so far it has proven to be as good as your typical automatic transmission, plus it doesn't have as much working parts in it, seems to be less "complicated"

I'd like to see how long they last going up to 10 years, 15 years, 20 years and even longer and how they compare to traditional automatics in those age ranges.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 7 speed AT in my G37 is horrible. It is night and day compared to the CVT. The G37 has bad lag on acceleration from 3rd to 4th and a harsh downshift from 3 to 2. This is my first CVT and so far I have no complaints.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
CVT is like the worlds solution to terrible automatic transmissions. If manufacturers could create smarter automatic transmissions I would prefer it over the CVT. But in the meantime. I'd rather have CVT (thought I'd never say that)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Very few actually addressed the OPs question.

How does it sound? Loud! At the low end it is very loud. Thankfully the noise goes away around 2000 RPM and it remains quiet at higher speeds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts