Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking about buying an SUV and just a few days ago came across this particular Pathfinder. It was the price that got my attention. Every other Pathfinder was 2-5K higher for the same year / mileage. I really love how it handles on the road. It's a bit rigid but I don't mind. The only thing I don't care about my new SUV is the almond color interior, but I think it will grow on me. I guess what I am trying to say is a few days ago I didn't care if I ever drive a Pathfinder and now I am super excited to have one.

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,304 Posts
Welcome to the forum and now you see why this board exists. Sometimes it's a love-hate relationship. Hopefully, yours will remain a love.

Reactions: TejasMtnBiker

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum and now you see why this board exists. Sometimes it's a love-hate relationship. Hopefully, yours will remain a love.
Thank you. I have a question for you and anyone who who may have some experience with this (although, of course, I could have Googled this, I think it's always more fun to post a question on a forum). I live in FL and our summer is hot. Even now it can be hot and sunny during the day. What are the best ways to protect your car's paint (other than keeping it in the garage)? Today I waxed it and applied a trim restorer to make sure the plastic and rubber trim do not get dry. What are other ways to fend off the hot Floridian sunshine?

·
Super Moderator
4,304 Posts
That's a tough one. Do you have a garage or carport? The best thing is to keep it under one of those. Outside of that, I think you're doing the right things. You should know that the Pathfinder doesn't have the best quality paint. Lots of complaints of chipping and rust.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a tough one. Do you have a garage or carport? The best thing is to keep it under one of those. Outside of that, I think you're doing the right things. You should know that the Pathfinder doesn't have the best quality paint. Lots of complaints of chipping and rust.
We do have a garage, but with 3 other cars on the driveway it will be tough to get it in and out.
The paint looks good to me. The PF has been in FL the whole time, I am the second owner, looks like the first owner took a good care of it. I'll just wax it once ever 3-4 months, hopefully it will do the trick.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Welcome to the group here. As for keeping my finishes nice on vehicles live in texas and clay bar every 6 months, I use a wax not a cleaner or polish like nu-finish. A good wax last 5-6 rains, 2-3 car washes by hand never the drive thru as they use too much detergents. My sv is parked inside but truck & boat outside.

for washing by hand I use mothers gold carnauba wash/wax concentrate (does not strip wax weekly washes)

waxing only I use car guys liquid wax/sealer

polishing if needed ( used before waxing) 3d speed all in one wax/polish 16oz as it corrects fine swirls, scratches, oxidation, dried on waxes from previous owners etc. and I use it on my boats gelcoat finish

I use all these on my SV, Ram, Boat, motorcycle.

For the black plastics on the exteriors I used formula 303 in a spray bottle

This guy here on YT does reviews frequently and is great for beginners new to keeping your finish A+++

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
570 Posts
Totally different scenario for me living in the rust belt. You guys get the baking sun and heat. For me it's a matter of trying to keep the thing from rusting out while I'm still making payments.

I've used lots of different types of waxes, polishes, sealers, etc over the years, but mostly NuFinish for... It's gotta be 30yrs now. Lately I've been hooked on a Turtle Wax spray bottle product called ice seal and shine. Love the stuff.

As much as I appreciate a clean car, with yours being a 2015 with ~75K miles, I'd wan't to address the CVT fluid and driveline fluids ASAP.

Not a bad deal on your 2015 by the way. Figure that sucker cost ~$30K new. This is why I like second hand Nissans. No resale! I'd never buy a new Nissan.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As much as I appreciate a clean car, with yours being a 2015 with ~75K miles, I'd wan't to address the CVT fluid and driveline fluids ASAP.
Are there known issues with those two? I may take it to one mechanic we've been taking our other cars to who seems to be really fair and knows his stuff.

·
Registered
570 Posts
CVT issues are rampant if you poke around. I wouldn't say the problems are necessarily related to lack of fluid maintenance, but changing CVT fluid is still a wise move, like it is on any transmission.

In terms of the transfer case and rear differential oils, there's little/no recommendation in the owner's manual, but the T-case only holds a few ounces of gear oil and the drained oil looked horrible on my 2019 when I changed it at ~25K miles. The rear diff oil didn't look bad at all. The rear diff holds more oil and is not effected by engine/exhaust heat like the T-case is. Again, I've not read of many T-case or rear diff issues on 2013+ PFs, but if I do have a problem, it's not going to be due to poor fluid quality.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hard to say. I don't know of a year range where I could comfortably say, 'Those are bullet proof'. Any of today's transmissions can be problematic, but it seems Nissan/Jatco CVTs take the cake. You read of some going 300K miles and some failing before they get off the dealer lot. I personally love them and have not had issues, but you never know. I do my own drain/fills on them with mail-ordered NS-3 fluid.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey, I just put 4 new tires and the ride home felt super bumpy. Felt ever tiny bump. What's the deal? Over-inflated tires? Will they soften after a while?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Does it feel different than it did before the tire change? Check the door jamb label for proper inflation pressure.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does it feel different than it did before the tire change? Check the door jamb label for proper inflation pressure.
I think it was just my initial perception. For some reason it felt super different. After driving it on the interstate and some roads today I think it feels about the same.

I stumbled across this video. You can watch the whole thing but listen to what he says about the CVT (2015 model). The video will start where he's saying it. It looks like it was upgraded to a steel chain (instead of a steel belt). Should we assume it should reduce the amount of failures??

I also called a service guy at a local Nissan dealership. He said change your CVT fluid at least every 30K miles and you may never have any issues. Those trannies run hot and the fluid disintegrates faster than it does under normal circumstances.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,424 Posts
I stumbled across this video. You can watch the whole thing but listen to what he says about the CVT (2015 model). The video will start where he's saying it. It looks like it was upgraded to a steel chain (instead of a steel belt). Should we assume it should reduce the amount of failures??
All R52 (2013+) Pathfinders came with a chain. They did that to increase towing capacity... the video also says this.

I also called a service guy at a local Nissan dealership. He said change your CVT fluid at least every 30K miles and you may never have any issues. Those trannies run hot and the fluid disintegrates faster than it does under normal circumstances.
Just be careful of what service guys say, I had one from a Nissan dealership tell me the radiator fans were driven by the engine...
IIRC the maintenance manual calls for 60k miles (100k km) but for sure it doesn't hurt to do it more often.
Now, changing the oil does not guarantee you'll never get the shudder, many members had issues in the first 20k miles.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmm... I wonder how many owners on here have had good experience with their PF... Would be interesting to know. Reading, watching about all the issues has got me depressed.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,424 Posts
Many many units have been trouble free it's just that the number of ones with minor/major issues was higher than average. I say was since we've not seen many on the 2017+.

·
Super Moderator
4,304 Posts
Hmm... I wonder how many owners on here have had good experience with their PF... Would be interesting to know. Reading, watching about all the issues has got me depressed.
Remember that the vast majority of folks that post on boards like these have either problems or questions. There are a few threads like this one, that post positive experiences. Any car brand is going to have it's share of issues. Hopefully, this is a place where people can feel comfortable sharing their experiences and get the advice they are seeking.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts