Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello. I need help please.
I own a 2017 Nissan Pathfinder and I only own it because I cosign for my dad and unfortunately he passed away so I am stuck with it. So, he bought it new of the lot with just 27 miles. my dad had the car for about 2 year before he passed and thats when I took over. after having it of less than a year, it started making loud rattling noises so I took it in and they did and oil change. the noises continued and took it back. they said the engine had sludge and that I needed a new engine and quoted me an estimate of 12k. obviously I can't afford that so I took it back home and its been sitting in my garage for a year now because it won't start. It currently has 21k miles. I was able to talk to someone from corporate and told them everything that happened so he sent out a tow truck to pick up the suv so they can take a look at it and ask for my approval to open the lower engine oil ( I believe thats what they said) because they needed it to get samples of the oil. Almost a week later I get a txt message pretty much listing everything that is wrong with it and an estimate of almost 19,000.Has Anyone has had a similar situation? any advice will be appreciated

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what I thought too but they sent pictures to power train and they decline it

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yah, I think this matter needs to be escalated by the dealer. If no success there, and you have another Nissan dealer nearby, try them.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
819 Posts
Did your dad ever get the oil changed on it?

There are other threads in regards to 2017 Pathfinders with severely sludged up engines. Do you have any records showing that oil changes have been done per the owner's manual recommendation which is (I believe) every 5000 miles for this make/model?

My guess here is your dad only short tripped this vehicle and maybe only had the oil changed a time or two.

Like I've said over and over since I bought my used 2019 Pathfinder. You cannot extend the oil change intervals on these "DD" series engines. They blacken the engine oil badly in under 1000 miles. I would not push it past 4000 miles between oil / filter changes and if you do tons of short trips, change it every 3-4months regardless of miles.

Here's some threads on this issue:

This one is the infinity equivalent: 2017 Engine Sludge= New Engine?

Here's another one: 17 nissan pathfinder warranty issues

·
Registered
2017 Nismo
143 Posts
I with PoMan. If you have records showing that you had the oil changed at the scheduled miles this should be an open and shut case. They should fix it under Manufactures Warranty. I think they are throwing high numbers at you to scare you away.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The only times I've ever seen an engine sludged and needing replacement were due to no oil changes or run over heated. It doesn't just happen.

It's a crappy situation to be in, but your going to have to prove they were done or find a dealer that is willing to eat that cost, knowing they will likely never see you again.

Is there a sticker on the inside corner of the windshield that might have the name of a place he may have brought it to that you can contact who might have records?

If you don't think you can produce the records I'd probably ask the dealer if there is a value advantage engine available for it or check the junk yards for a used one. Value advantage is a Nissan approved part that is just not oem, but still says Nissan on the box. I was surprised to learn that they made long block assemblies in this category.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes he did. And I sent all the receipts to them. Now it’s just a back and fourth battle. Thank you for the feedback

·
Registered
819 Posts
The only times I've ever seen an engine sludged and needing replacement were due to no oil changes or run over heated. It doesn't just happen.
I'm with you on that, but this specific "DD" series engine seems to have this alarming trend. None had what appeared to be coolant or any other contaminate in the oil and I've only read about it on 2017s at this point because I assume the age. It's the oldest and first of the design.

The above link to the infinity QX60 (pathfinder clone) forum alone has like 5 different people with the same problem and most have owned the vehicle since new and have documented engine oil changes. One person said they did them at a 7000 mile interval and infinity denied warranty coverage because it's over the 5000 mile recommendation.

Even at a 7K mile oil change interval, an engine this new and low mileage should never do that. It could be coincidental that we're only seeing this on the VQ35DD, but I know I've personally seen neglected DE versions of this engine and they were not sludged.

I wish I knew what the cause and preventative measures were. Like I say, Imma keep un with my ~3-4K mi engine oil changes and hope for the best for the time I own my 2019.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Mrs B. If you are corresponding by email with Nissan or a dealer service manager, I would at least try sending them the threads I linked to above, or printing them out and sending them to them.

Between that, the fact you did have oil changes done and the vehicle only has 21K miles on it, I find it hard to believe they're quoting you the prices they are quoting. Your pathfinder isn't worth the amounts they're quoting for an engine replacement.

Worst case, you could source a used engine and have a shop you know and trust do the swap, but even that will cost $6K at a minimum. Looks like used engines of this make/model are around $4K.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I own a 2017 Nissan Pathfinder and I only own it because I cosign for my dad and unfortunately he passed away so I am stuck with it. So, he bought it new of the lot with just 27 miles. my dad had the car for about 2 year before he passed and thats when I took over. after having it of less than a year, it started making loud rattling noises so I took it in and they did and oil change. the noises continued and took it back. they said the engine had sludge and that I needed a new engine and quoted me an estimate of 12k. obviously I can't afford that so I took it back home and its been sitting in my garage for a year now because it won't start. It currently has 21k miles. I was able to talk to someone from corporate and told them everything that happened so he sent out a tow truck to pick up the suv so they can take a look at it and ask for my approval to open the lower engine oil ( I believe thats what they said) because they needed it to get samples of the oil. Almost a week later I get a txt message pretty much listing everything that is wrong with it and an estimate of almost 19,000.Has Anyone has had a similar situation? any advice will be appreciated
Sorry to hear. I too would think its covered under the original warranty. Big Nissan is not easy to deal with. I hope they help you out with this! I have never heard of something like this going so soon. What about the Lemon Law, not sure if it would fall under that. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts

If this the sound it's a blower fan in the front of the car. Cost for part and labor is just under $800.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did your dad ever get the oil changed on it?

There are other threads in regards to 2017 Pathfinders with severely sludged up engines. Do you have any records showing that oil changes have been done per the owner's manual recommendation which is (I believe) every 5000 miles for this make/model?

My guess here is your dad only short tripped this vehicle and maybe only had the oil changed a time or two.

Like I've said over and over since I bought my used 2019 Pathfinder. You cannot extend the oil change intervals on these "DD" series engines. They blacken the engine oil badly in under 1000 miles. I would not push it past 4000 miles between oil / filter changes and if you do tons of short trips, change it every 3-4months regardless of miles.

Here's some threads on this issue:

This one is the infinity equivalent: 2017 Engine Sludge= New Engine?

Here's another one: 17 nissan pathfinder warranty issues
Ok so mine is a 2019. Is it a piece of junk? Thats what I keep seeing on this topic. I drove nissan all my life started with my 86 and a half to my 93 97 2001 then a titan 2005 altima 2009 marano 2013 infinite and now a 2019 pathfinder. Never any trouble until now with the dark oil. Why is this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Call lemon law lawyer

·
Registered
55 Posts
Every Nissan and even "Datsun" I've had has been pretty rock solid other than the cats on an Xterra. One of the reasons newer engines can have darker oil is due to the push from EPA for lower emissions. This has forced more crankcase gases to be captured and recycled. I also have a Chrysler and many recommend installing a "catch can" with a filter in it that keeps sludge from developing. I'm not sure this is really necessary as my oil stays pretty much clear with oil changes every 5k on the Chrysler. I just had the Pathy oil changed yesterday, so I'm curious and will check it occasionally now to see the color. Quite honestly, for the past decade I seldom ever even pull a dipstick anymore... not like the "old" days when a quart of oil every 1000 miles was normal.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Ok so mine is a 2019. Is it a piece of junk? Thats what I keep seeing on this topic. I drove nissan all my life started with my 86 and a half to my 93 97 2001 then a titan 2005 altima 2009 marano 2013 infinite and now a 2019 pathfinder. Never any trouble until now with the dark oil. Why is this?
I've owned Nissans here and there since the early 1990s. Obviously they're not what they used to be, but I don't find them any worse than any other make/model. You are always going to see the worst of the worst issues on internet forums and don't hear from the 100's of thousands of happy owners who aren't into posting things on automotive forums.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.