Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys not sure if it has been discussed. Noticed a humming noise coming out of the vehicle when vehicle is on that gets considerably louder when you open the hood. Brought it and had Nissan check and service advisor, who has been real good up to date said that as soon as the technician heard it said it was the power steering system being operational and was "Normal" no malfunction. I for once have had many cars and never heard other power steering systemsc "hum" like that ever. Has anyone else noticed? Had the same problem?. Thank you

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I have noticed an unusual hum off and on, though nothing too obtrusive. I would be inclined to believe your service adviser, only because this vehicle is equipped with electric steering assist, which is different from the hydraulic assist that previous vehicles likely used.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had a 2011 Scion TC that has electrical power steering. It made the noise you described after the car was turned off. The noise stayed on for awhile and it is normal for that car. I can't remember the exact reason but I think it has something to do with the venting of the power steering system. This might be similar on the Pathfinder; however, I haven't really heard it on mine. Of course, I never listen to the engine compartment after I turned off the car.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I am also in agreement with responses here. The noise is normal with electric power steering. The humming will become a loud screech if things ever start to go wrong and would hear it every time you turn the wheel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts