Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this might not be for all of you, but I thought I would share, anyway. First I put the Yakima rack on from our minivan.....

And while it worked great, it was very noisy, and took of 3-4 mpg..... Plan Number two was to mount the highrollers on the factory cross bars.
but with a set of Yakima highrollers, and a pair of 35 pound 29'ers, there was too much wobble, for comfort......

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.529017687137522.1073741830.437413126297979&type=3

So onward I went, and welded the Yakima round pars to a self made bracket, that bolts to the stock location...... Works awesome, but is also noisy, but not as much as the first go, and only took of 2 mpg....

So finally as I get tired of messing around, I am making a Carbon Fiber rack, that will bolt onto the factory side rails. For those of you, that are interested can follow the build on my CF FB page here.....

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.580452975327326.1073741839.437413126297979&type=3

Erling

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
thanks for sharing. cool stuff.

always been fascinated with carbon fiber (as you can tell by my username)

wish i knew how to make my own CF pieces.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for sharing. cool stuff.

always been fascinated with carbon fiber (as you can tell by my username)

wish i knew how to make my own CF pieces.
thanks.....:). It is time consuming for sure, but the rewards are worth it. I created the FB page to help and educate people thst wanted to try it, but did not know how. Never thought I would put a piece of CF on our new PF.... LOL.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
awesome. Ive been looking at making some carbon pieces myself. I know you need a resin and hardener. Any other chemicals needed? I have experience with sanding and polishing.

What are some chemicals that are good and not too pricey? where to buy them?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
it's pretty awesome that you're making all these different carbon fiber stuff, even engagement rings! How do you know you're the worlds first when it comes to this? any plans to do video's on how you do it or are you going to turn this into a business?

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Thanks its amazing that you can do all this yourself. It take real patience when it comes to things like this. I love carbon fiber but dont like doing it myself.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
awesome. Ive been looking at making some carbon pieces myself. I know you need a resin and hardener. Any other chemicals needed? I have experience with sanding and polishing.

What are some chemicals that are good and not too pricey? where to buy them?
With the addition of good epoxy's in the last 10 years, many have shied away from polyester. That is that nasty stuff associated with fiberglass, that makes you high, or worse, and stink up your whole house. I use epoxy from polymer products inc. They are located in the bay area, and sell through their store, or through fleabay. I use their HTE for high temp apps, and either the MAX-CLR, or 1618 for epoxy's requiring no post heat cure. I get my fabrics from uscomposites.com usually the discounted fabric, like 2x2 twill in 6 oz size.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it's pretty awesome that you're making all these different carbon fiber stuff, even engagement rings! How do you know you're the worlds first when it comes to this? any plans to do video's on how you do it or are you going to turn this into a business?
Thanks.
When I made the adventure luggage mc bags, I hosted the build on Adventurerider.com, and someone suggested they were, so I googled it, and found none. Something that specialized, I think you would see hits on a search engine, as when googled, my build instantly returned hits. On the roof rack, I looked around before I began building them ( for a good while actually), and found none. The answer is quite simple actually. The composite construction is stronger than steel, pound for pound. 2-3 times lighter than aluminum, to yield the same strength, but the costs are high, due to the labor involved. The latter part is the biggest obstacle to most, as messaging a wet napkin into shape, and making it stay is ....ehhhhhh.... complicated. :D That said it is not that complicated, and as I have enjoyed the composites for many years, I wanted to share. That is why I started my FB page. It is filled with projects, and video's, on how to make composites. I also have a you tube channel, where I have several how to video's. There are several video's in there, but they are mixed up with all my other video's.....

ebrabaek's channel - YouTube

As far as a business, I have long thought that when I retire, I would like to do just that.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks its amazing that you can do all this yourself. It take real patience when it comes to things like this. I love carbon fiber but dont like doing it myself.
Very true..... You gotta love it, or it wont work, as the labor, although not strenuous, is time consuming. My message is that you CAN do this in your garage. The fancy autoclaves, and vacuum bags, can help in certain areas, but for a garage gangsta, is not a necessity.;):cool::D

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that's pretty awesome, any close up's for us to see?
Thanks....
I will post one later today after I wrap the second bar. Mind you, the surface is a bit rough, and will be sanded smooth. More details can be seen on the FB page.

Erling

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
awesome. can't wait to see the results.
Thanks.... It has been a bit slow, as the last three days have yielded 7 inches of rain in the desert southwest. None died like in Colorado, but good grief..... As the sun comes back out in the next day or two, the two bars will roast in the sun for a whole day. That will elevate the temp to 150 deg. F. which will cure the HTE epoxy, as right now the outer 3 layers of 1618 epoxy in holding it in place. This was a good blend of polymers. I am getting tired of the yakima roof noise.....Funny I never heard that on the Sedona, or the expedition..... But the PF is sooooo suuuuper quiet... LOL.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I thought I'd share the following.
Weight of the front factory crossbar...

Weight of my welded Yakima front cross bar.....

One slightly longer front cf. cross bar before it is trimmed....

There is not comparison in strength between the factory, and the Yakima. Simply put the factory is only good for something small, and so it states with the 150 pound max rating. It is aerodynamic, and quiet, and serves its purpose. But when you put a bike rack on it, and have a 35 pound bike up there, you van see it's short comings, as there were almost a foot swing from side to side.
The Yakima weighs a few hundred grams more, but has all the stiffness in the world, and the bike do not move. But it has a bit more noise.
That leads to the composite bar, which shares the sturdiness of the Yakima, and has the quietness of the factory bar. I expect that it will weigh in at about 700 grams. Which is about half of the factory aluminum bar, and a bit less than that of the Yakima steel bar.
This bar is heavy, as there were a lot of resin pooling inside, but doing this the garage ninja way, is unavoidable.

Here is the new front bar next to the factory bar it will replace...

Now onto making the hardware.....

Erling

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Almost finished.

Just bonded the crossbars in place, and thought I would post an update on the project....

The first bar was bonded to the sides....

Aft bar bonded in place....

No I just need to strengthen the sides.

Erling

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finished.

Just finished the cross bars. Stock front..... Note the weight of aluminum.....

Cf front bar..... about half.... at just over 700 grams......

After a light rub of 1618 epoxy......

They are now at the auto painter, to get a few layers, of good clear coat, to protect against UV break down..... They are several times stronger than the stock cross bars. Hoping they are as quiet....:D:D

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Just finished the cross bars. Stock front..... Note the weight of aluminum.....

Cf front bar..... about half.... at just over 700 grams......

After a light rub of 1618 epoxy......

They are now at the auto painter, to get a few layers, of good clear coat, to protect against UV break down..... They are several times stronger than the stock cross bars. Hoping they are as quiet....:D:D
any close up's on the weave? from the pictures im looking at the weaves don't seem to be straight, they just seem different from what I seen big companies produce

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
any close up's on the weave? from the pictures im looking at the weaves don't seem to be straight, they just seem different from what I seen big companies produce
That is because of the light reflection. Interesting observation. :) They are at the paint shop, and will be ready this evening, with a fresh coat of clear coat. As soon as they mount up, I will take a few closeups.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts