Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what it would take for Nissan to do a buyback?

I opened a case with Nissan Corp to have my leased Platinum Premium Pathfinder bought back due to shuddering and no fix available. They took 3 weeks to get me a final answer and it was NO. No explanation why it was denied as well. My vehicle only had 3000 miles on it when I opened the case and has been shuddering since purchase. It had 5 miles on it when I leased it.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Nissan isn't going to willingly do a buyback. I've never heard of any manufacturer, aside from VW, doing this without some kind of legal pressure.

Check the lemon laws for your state, assuming they exist. Then, hire a lemon law attorney. You will likely be out of pocket a bit, but as soon as they start to turn the screws, you will likely have the vehicle taken back.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Nissan isn't going to willingly do a buyback. I've never heard of any manufacturer, aside from VW, doing this without some kind of legal pressure.

Check the lemon laws for your state, assuming they exist. Then, hire a lemon law attorney. You will likely be out of pocket a bit, but as soon as they start to turn the screws, you will likely have the vehicle taken back.
Agreed. In NC Nissan has to pay lawyer fees if you win, but you have to do exactly what the lawyer tells you to do, and Nissan has to be given a chance to fix things. In NC, they have 4 chances to fix things (and still not fix it) OR it is in their service bay for a total 20 business days in one year regardless if things are fixed or not. This is my approach, and with an incompetent service department, they have racked up 19 business days in less than 3 months for my Pathfinder. Next trip in starts the process for me. But do contact a lawyer in your state that specializes in this practice.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I started looking into the lemon laws in the State of Georgia today. You have to have the car in the service dept for 30 days in a 2 year period, or have a problem with your vehicle that is safety related. The person I spoke with today at the State told me that transmission stalling qualifies as a safety problem, so I can go to the next step without the 30 days in the shop - although they estimate my current fix is going to take a couple of weeks. You should check the laws in your state.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I started looking into the lemon laws in the State of Georgia today. You have to have the car in the service dept for 30 days in a 2 year period, or have a problem with your vehicle that is safety related. The person I spoke with today at the State told me that transmission stalling qualifies as a safety problem, so I can go to the next step without the 30 days in the shop - although they estimate my current fix is going to take a couple of weeks. You should check the laws in your state.
If you'd like to learn more on a state by state basis, go to the BBB auto line:

BBB Auto Line - Lemon Laws, Auto Warranties, Complaints and Claims - U.S. BBB

below is a copy of their website home page.

BBB AUTO LINE®
fast free fair. Bought a lemon. Let us help.

Our dispute resolution program can help you resolve your lemon law complaint, and you don't even have to hire a lawyer. Our lemon law complaint program covers car warranty issues against participating manufacturers.
Get started by filing your lemon law complaint now.

Is my car included? | What does my state's lemon law say?

get started button
More questions? Contact us. | En Español

BBB AUTO LINE's process
File BBB AUTO LINE Complaint
Learn More About State Lemon Laws
What Consumers Are Saying About BBB AUTO LINE
En Español
Contact Us
Program Eligibility Information

·
Registered
119 Posts
So, here is an interesting question. If you buy the car in another state than you resides in..... Which state's lemon law needs to be followed..... Buy state..... or residence state....????:)

Erling

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
So, here is an interesting question. If you buy the car in another state than you resides in..... Which state's lemon law needs to be followed..... Buy state..... or residence state....????:)

Erling
i would say your state, since it is registered to where you live, it would make sense if it's like that.

·
Registered
119 Posts
i would say your state, since it is registered to where you live, it would make sense if it's like that.
We shall see what happens, as Mine goes in. It is not behaving too bad, at this point, but I would like to have it documented, but not really for them to tear into it, until they have a good answer.

Erling

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
and this is why I wonder if nissan would have been safer using a non CVT transmission.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I've just about had enough with this car. I submitted a BBB AUTO LINE complaint. I'm hoping to have the lease terminated early.

·
Registered
341 Posts
On yet another trip to the Nissan dealer today, I had a very nice chat with the service manager. My PF is the 1st new CVT that they have installed, and I casually asked what happens next if it shudders again. The service manager told me then it would be time to get Nissan involved for a buy-back. When I told him how less than accomodating Nissan NA had been to me so far, he told me it would be a total different story when he got involved. So it sounds like Nissan NA is much more willing to work with you if your service dept is on your side.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
On yet another trip to the Nissan dealer today, I had a very nice chat with the service manager. My PF is the 1st new CVT that they have installed, and I casually asked what happens next if it shudders again. The service manager told me then it would be time to get Nissan involved for a buy-back. When I told him how less than accomodating Nissan NA had been to me so far, he told me it would be a total different story when he got involved. So it sounds like Nissan NA is much more willing to work with you if your service dept is on your side.
Glad to hear you'll be in a better position if the transmission starts to shudder, but it's BS Nissan will be more inclined to help if your service department is involved.

Hey at least now people know what to do to get Nissan taking action.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Cvjw...great info thanks! Makes me feel a bit better about my purchase. I would love to know what percentage of the PFs will have this issue.

·
Registered
440 Posts
..... I would love to know what percentage of the PFs will have this issue.

Want your money back or replacement vehicle? Hire a lemon law attorney and let him/her do the communicating. Nissan does not want to go to a trial, because your lawyer can compel them to answer the question you asked, and it goes into the public record.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Want your money back or replacement vehicle? Hire a lemon law attorney and let him/her do the communicating. Nissan does not want to go to a trial, because your lawyer can compel them to answer the question you asked, and it goes into the public record.

Service Manager told me that Nissan does not want their cars recorded as lemons. He said they get very easy to work with right before they are proved to be a lemon - they will try and negotiate a buy back.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Just like any other big corporation they are afraid of trials not because of the cost for the court fees but their reputation is at stake when they atre on the stands. so usually they would just give in. I can believe how many people are negotiating buy backs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hello all... New to this forum but not this trans problem... I have the torque convertor replaced and tcm reprogramed at 1100 miles, then at 2100 miles had the transmission replaced with a "reman" ( how do they already have remans on a vehicle only released 10 months ago??? hmmmm ). and now at 3100 miles the judder is back ago.. same way it started out the first time... Nissan corporate says that is normal and the vehicle is operating as normal per the dealer and the "engineer" and that there is nothing they can do and closed my case on Monday... How is it "normal" for a vehicle to do this, but yet you kept replacing parts???? Anyone had any luck with the buyback b/c mine was declined.

thanks for any info...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello all... New to this forum but not this trans problem... I have the torque convertor replaced and tcm reprogramed at 1100 miles, then at 2100 miles had the transmission replaced with a "reman" ( how do they already have remans on a vehicle only released 10 months ago??? hmmmm ). and now at 3100 miles the judder is back ago.. same way it started out the first time... Nissan corporate says that is normal and the vehicle is operating as normal per the dealer and the "engineer" and that there is nothing they can do and closed my case on Monday... How is it "normal" for a vehicle to do this, but yet you kept replacing parts???? Anyone had any luck with the buyback b/c mine was declined.

thanks for any info...
How did you go about this buy back by just call nissan consumer affairs? From what you said it seems like your dealer is not on your side about this issue and that is not a real good place to be.

Have you tried to call the BBB auto line and filed a complaint because in most states that is required before you can deal with a Lemon Law Attorney.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am new to this forum as well. I leased the 2013 PF in March 2013 and started to experience the judder immediately after about 1000 miles. I took the vehicle in April and they could not duplicate the problem. The vehicle continued to judder and I initially thought maybe something was going on with the tires or something so I had the tires checked out and there were no issues.
I made contact with the Nissan Service Dept again to the let the service rep know what was going on and he asked me to bring it back in. I took the veh back and he told me about the torque converter bulletin but it had been ordered and they would be replacing it. It was replaced and I went in to pick it up during lunch hour. After getting off work that day, I started my vehicle and heard a loud rattling noise. I turned it off and back on again and took it right back to the service department. They kept it a few days and told me that Nissan had to do some reprogramming. Service rep called after a few days and said they test drove it and everything was fine so I picked it up. After driving it a few days, it started to judder again. I took it back and after about 3 days, the service rep called and said Nissan told them to replace the transmission. Transmission was replaced and I was told that should correct the problem. After the transmission was replaced, I drove it a few days and guess what...felt the judder again. I took it back last Thursday, August 26 and was told by the technician Saturday they were waiting for a Nissan rep to come out. Monday we got a call and was told they had to replace the torque converter again because the initial one was the wrong one. My vehicle has been in the shop about 26 days within the last few months. THe consumer affair's representative at Nissan's corporate office has only offered to pay one month's payment and that is unacceptable. I am not sure if I should try to handle filing a lemon claim or if I need to get an attorney involved.
Who would I contact about a buyback or buying me out of my lease?

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I am new to this forum as well. I leased the 2013 PF in March 2013 and started to experience the judder immediately after about 1000 miles. I took the vehicle in April and they could not duplicate the problem. The vehicle continued to judder and I initially thought maybe something was going on with the tires or something so I had the tires checked out and there were no issues.
I made contact with the Nissan Service Dept again to the let the service rep know what was going on and he asked me to bring it back in. I took the veh back and he told me about the torque converter bulletin but it had been ordered and they would be replacing it. It was replaced and I went in to pick it up during lunch hour. After getting off work that day, I started my vehicle and heard a loud rattling noise. I turned it off and back on again and took it right back to the service department. They kept it a few days and told me that Nissan had to do some reprogramming. Service rep called after a few days and said they test drove it and everything was fine so I picked it up. After driving it a few days, it started to judder again. I took it back and after about 3 days, the service rep called and said Nissan told them to replace the transmission. Transmission was replaced and I was told that should correct the problem. After the transmission was replaced, I drove it a few days and guess what...felt the judder again. I took it back last Thursday, August 26 and was told by the technician Saturday they were waiting for a Nissan rep to come out. Monday we got a call and was told they had to replace the torque converter again because the initial one was the wrong one. My vehicle has been in the shop about 26 days within the last few months. THe consumer affair's representative at Nissan's corporate office has only offered to pay one month's payment and that is unacceptable. I am not sure if I should try to handle filing a lemon claim or if I need to get an attorney involved.
Who would I contact about a buyback or buying me out of my lease?
Earlier in this thread, there is a link for the BBB AUTO LINE program. What they will do is take your information and act as your advocate in initiating a Lemon Law dispute. There is no need to hire an attorney. If you have kept records of each service incident, then your vehicle would qualify as a lemon under multiple state laws (keep in mind, the laws differ on a state-by-state basis). So, ultimately, you should be able to get out of your lease.

I am going down this road myself, though my wife wants our deposit back as well, and I'm not sure that will happen... so I may just give them more time to correct the issue.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts