Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who are having the judder issue, how often does it occur when driving? And at what speed are you going at when it happens?

·
Registered
40 Posts
It occurs on acceleration, or from slow start between 15 and 20 mph and then when the tranny downshifts to that same MPH from 40-50mph.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just ordered a Pathfinder SL. But I don't remember feeling any issues on the test drive. Does this judder still occur on the newer vehicles on the production line, or is this an issue for older models?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Mine was built in December and I also have the same issue. Dealer told me that Nissan is aware of the problem (even though they already had a service bulletin recently to fix this), and are working on another fix. I have been driving the past month while avoiding the judder....by consciously accelerating a certain way. It usually happens from slow acceleration, after the rpm's just drops off a little and at the same time I give it a bit of gas. That's the point when it tends to judder. It's a pain having to always press the pedal a certain way, but at least I can avoid any possible damage to the transmission, at least until they come out with another fix.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Mine also occurs during acceleration however I have also felt it with cruise set at 65-70 and it slighlty jerks sometimes when coasting down a gentle hill. Not sure if this is related to the same issue. I have recently spoke to my dealer and they stated after speacking to Nissan Tech they are expecting a fix in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
At around 2000 miles the "judder' started to occur maybe every other day once a day and I had it on Auto Mode. I switched to 2WD mode around 2500 miles when the weather in chicago finally started to act like spring time. Since then I had not experience the " judder " affect. I have around 5000 miles on my Path so far so good. I dont if its just me but I have it on 2WD all the time

·
Registered
74 Posts
At around 2000 miles the "judder' started to occur maybe every other day once a day and I had it on Auto Mode. I switched to 2WD mode around 2500 miles when the weather in chicago finally started to act like spring time. Since then I had not experience the " judder " affect. I have around 5000 miles on my Path so far so good. I dont if its just me but I have it on 2WD all the time
Interesting... To all those experiencing the judder, what mode do you run your vehicle in, or what mode is it in when you experience it?

Are people experiencing this when it is in 2WD?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Interesting... To all those experiencing the judder, what mode do you run your vehicle in, or what mode is it in when you experience it?

I have always been driving in 2WD and it judders. Never tried it in auto though.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I drive mine in 2wd and 4wd auto when it's raining or not dry conditions. My build date is 2/13 and have not had a single problem with the cvt or seats or anything. Only thing I had an issue was one of the side mirrors cameras had to be adjusted because the around view wasn't exactly straight. Besides that mine has been completely solid with no complaints.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It occurs on acceleration, or from slow start between 15 and 20 mph and then when the tranny downshifts to that same MPH from 40-50mph.
Exactly. Seems to happen every few days - under light acceleration. Does not seem to be an issue if you drive more aggressively.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Mine was built in December and I also have the same issue. Dealer told me that Nissan is aware of the problem (even though they already had a service bulletin recently to fix this), and are working on another fix. I have been driving the past month while avoiding the judder....by consciously accelerating a certain way. It usually happens from slow acceleration, after the rpm's just drops off a little and at the same time I give it a bit of gas. That's the point when it tends to judder. It's a pain having to always press the pedal a certain way, but at least I can avoid any possible damage to the transmission, at least until they come out with another fix.
To add to this, I try to press the gas pedal and hold it there until I past the point after the rpm drops off, and try not to give it more gas at that point. You don't need to anyways, since the car will continue to accelerate.

·
Registered
66 Posts

I don't have 4WD (I don't think, if I do I don't even know how to use it) so mine is all 2WD.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I drive mine in 2wd and 4wd auto when it's raining or not dry conditions. My build date is 2/13 and have not had a single problem with the cvt or seats or anything. Only thing I had an issue was one of the side mirrors cameras had to be adjusted because the around view wasn't exactly straight. Besides that mine has been completely solid with no complaints.
I too have no complaints. I have felt the "judder" once, when coasting down from highway speed and then jamming on the gas again to pass, but it was so slight I doubt I'd have thought twice about it except all the hype here. It reminded me of lugging the engine in a too-high gear on a manual transmission.

I tend to drive pretty easy, I'm too cheap to waste money on gas. I wonder if a lot of the issue has to do with driving style?

Every automatic transmission I've owned has some kind of undesirable action under certain driver inputs, I wonder if the newness of the CVT has peeps focusing too much on this, but maybe I just have a good one, who knows. If I'm wrong, and it is a big issue, eventually enough people will complain to Nissan, and I'm confident they will find a solution.

On thing is for sure, you don't usually hear from people who are not having an issue on forums like this one, so just about any issue tends to look like there's a bigger problem than there really is.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Didn't realize it was such a common issue.

I feel like it is really just a minor problem. But I also read that the judder can be a potential safety issue. Though I'm not entirely sure how it would be. Also since there has been no recall from Nissan.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is not a minor issue. It is not a mild judder. It is very pronounced and not something that should happen in a $30+ vehicle.

I am a very easy driver, so it's not driving style.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I too have no complaints. I have felt the "judder" once, when coasting down from highway speed and then jamming on the gas again to pass, but it was so slight I doubt I'd have thought twice about it except all the hype here. It reminded me of lugging the engine in a too-high gear on a manual transmission.

I tend to drive pretty easy, I'm too cheap to waste money on gas. I wonder if a lot of the issue has to do with driving style?

Every automatic transmission I've owned has some kind of undesirable action under certain driver inputs, I wonder if the newness of the CVT has peeps focusing too much on this, but maybe I just have a good one, who knows. If I'm wrong, and it is a big issue, eventually enough people will complain to Nissan, and I'm confident they will find a solution.

On thing is for sure, you don't usually hear from people who are not having an issue on forums like this one, so just about any issue tends to look like there's a bigger problem than there really is.
I think it's great that you are not experiencing any issues, and I'm happy you can enjoy your PF.

But please don't come in here and insinuate that we are imagining these problems or somehow blowing them out of proportion. That is very insulting. We just want to feel safe in these vehicles and that we bought a good quality truck since most of us spent well over $30K on them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think it's great that you are not experiencing any issues, and I'm happy you can enjoy your PF.

But please don't come in here and insinuate that we are imagining these problems or somehow blowing them out of proportion. That is very insulting. We just want to feel safe in these vehicles and that we bought a good quality truck since most of us spent well over $30K on them.
HELLO gkurt!
this is a major issue for us, especially me, who spent $40k plus. The vehicle appears unreliable, however maybe not, but my wife refuses to drive it. Now she throws it in my face that it is a lemon.....wow.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a/b 350 miles on my new Pathfinder and have yet to feel this "judder/shutter". My build date is 02/13. From what i've heard the models prior to my build date experience this more than the later. Not sure why. Hopefully I don't experience this issue but if so hopefully it will get resolved.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts