Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have had mine replaced 3 times already :(
Couple of mechanics at the dealership agreed that this is a very bad design... there should be some mounting brackets there instead of that tape.
In my Murano I never had an issue for the 8 years I owned the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Interesting that the adhesive gave way. I have to wonder if the paint was properly cleaned when it was installed.

I installed mine right after I bought the car and the instructions were very specific about cleaning the area with an included alcohol wipe. When I removed it later, it was a bear to get rid of - I had to use the fishing line technique, typically reserved for removing trim and badges.

Anyway, Weathertech now has a bug deflector for the Pathfinder - if it's anything like previous models, I'll bet it's entirely bracketed under the lip of the hood, though they don't show a picture of it. I've been tempted to buy one.

·
Administrator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,810 Posts
I installed mine right after I bought the car and the instructions were very specific about cleaning the area with an included alcohol wipe. When I removed it later, it was a bear to get rid of - I had to use the fishing line technique, typically reserved for removing trim and badges.

Anyway, Weathertech now has a bug deflector for the Pathfinder - if it's anything like previous models, I'll bet it's entirely bracketed under the lip of the hood, though they don't show a picture of it. I've been tempted to buy one.
Just curious why you took it off if you now want to buy a new one?

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Just curious why you took it off if you now want to buy a new one?
The Nissan one is a very poor design. It doesn't wrap around the lip of the hood, but rather has a thick piece of weatherstripping between the molded plastic and the hood edge. That weatherstripping is held on with just enough adhesive to keep it in place, but it caused a few different problems.

Firstly, if it wasn't centered just right, it got pushed back at speed and caused lift, contributing to the problems with the hood vibrating. Secondly, I believe it severely degraded mileage, by as much as 2MPG on the highway, just due to its aerodynamic properties (or lack thereof). And lastly, it just looked goofy and served no purpose - it certainly didn't prevent any bugs from hitting the hood or windshield.

I've had the Weathertech hood deflectors in the past and been happy with them, that's the only reason I've been considering it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just remember, "Friends Don't Let Friends Put Bug Deflectors on Their Vehicles."

Go with a good wax and then detail spray after you wash and the bug come off pretty easily and won't harm the paint.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Go with a good wax and then detail spray after you wash and the bug come off pretty easily and won't harm the paint.
I installed mine because of stone chips...not the bugs. If it were just the bugs I would not have installed it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Wait a minute!!!!
The new Bug guard is taped on? OK thats not cool, the last series up to 2012 you mounted the Bug Guard . Underneath the hood, there where plastic pull pins , you removed them, put the Bug guard on, then replaced them back. Thats what held it on not double sided tape , how stupid.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Wait a minute!!!!
The new Bug guard is taped on? OK thats not cool, the last series up to 2012 you mounted the Bug Guard . Underneath the hood, there where plastic pull pins , you removed them, put the Bug guard on, then replaced them back. Thats what held it on not double sided tape , how stupid.
Not entirely. There are taped on brackets at the outer extremes. There are two metal brackets that wrap around the hood lip and mount underneath the hood in the manner you describe.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Not entirely. There are taped on brackets at the outer extremes. There are two metal brackets that wrap around the hood lip and mount underneath the hood in the manner you describe.
I'd like to see one in person, still sounds hokey

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I'd like to see one in person, still sounds hokey
It IS hokey, but just wanted you to be aware that it is physically bracketed at the middle (at least).

If you're considering one, I would recommend trying the Weathertech model, which is made by Lund.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys,
I just picked up a Weathertec guard. Instillation was crazy easy, and it is secured by four screws that require no drilling. No way this is popping off unless I literally rear end someone.
I also like how it does not stop short like the factory unit. See my shitty in garage dark pic's below :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have installed the Nissan hood protector. I have had the end sticker part come undone once. I just bought some 3m tape and repaired it. I think this was due to the car wash fans that blow the car dry. If it happens again, I am just going to get a low profile nuts, bolts and washers and drill through it and attach the brackets perminately. We install spoilers and the like at the Lexus dealership. It will be fine. So far no other issues. My family and I are extremely satisfied with our 2013 Nissan Pathfinder PLatinum Premium.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Hey guys,
I just picked up a Weathertec guard. Instillation was crazy easy, and it is secured by four screws that require no drilling. No way this is popping off unless I literally rear end someone.
I also like how it does not stop short like the factory unit. See my shitty in garage dark pic's below :)

Very nice and MUCH better than the OEM unit.

·
Administrator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,810 Posts
If it happens again, I am just going to get a low profile nuts, bolts and washers and drill through it and attach the brackets perminately. We install spoilers and the like at the Lexus dealership. It will be fine.
You may want to rethink that if it involves drilling extra holes through your hood. If, for some reason, it cracks or you (or whoever you eventually sell the car to) just decide you no longer want it on, you've got something ugly left behind.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I know. However we do not get rid of our vehicles for quite some time. We tend to hang onto them. The only area that is not bolted down on a Nissan factory hood protector is the extreme left and right ends of the deflector. However the 3m seems to be holding up.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I know. However we do not get rid of our vehicles for quite some time. We tend to hang onto them. The only area that is not bolted down on a Nissan factory hood protector is the extreme left and right ends of the deflector. However the 3m seems to be holding up.
I think I'd go with the Weathertech, which is much better quality, than mar the hood by drilling through it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts