Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found out last weekend while on the highway that my hood was loose. Any ideas on how to tighten it up? I have already moved the hood release down (by loosening the bolts and dropping it as low as I could) and tried extending the rubber bumpers. Other than taking it to the dealership (which is 4 hours away), what would be my next course of action?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
From my own personal experience working on old car I know all over the underside of the hood long it's support area's and by the hinges there are adjustment screws, you can try messing with those, but I would seriously try going to a different Nissan dealership. Them telling you there isn't a problem is BS, sometimes the service people are just aholes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From my own personal experience working on old car I know all over the underside of the hood long it's support area's and by the hinges there are adjustment screws, you can try messing with those, but I would seriously try going to a different Nissan dealership. Them telling you there isn't a problem is BS, sometimes the service people are just aholes.
I have not gone to the dealership. The closest to my location is 4 hours away. If I could, I'd like to take care of the problem myself.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I have not gone to the dealership. The closest to my location is 4 hours away. If I could, I'd like to take care of the problem myself.
**** that's a tough one. What might be possible is getting that dealership to pick up your Pathfinder from you and bring you a loaner vehicle. 4 hours is a lot and definitely a big inconvenience to be going back and forth.

I know some dealerships do pick up vehicles from customers for servicing. IMO this is a safety issue cause if that hood just so happens to unlatch and fly up, it won't be pretty.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Going to be tough. If you have already adjusted the latch to the lowest position and it still isn't tight you might need a new latch.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Realize this is an old thread.. But does anyone have any issues with their hood bouncing going down road? The dealer has looked at mine 4 times and says as usual its normal. but the others on the lot are all flush and lines even. unlike mine. just curious if anyone else has this same issue?

·
Registered
341 Posts
I noticed that my hood was shaking when traveling at high way speed right after purchasing it. I thought that it surely was an optical illusion - but after reading other people's stories, I now know that I am not alone. Mine does not vibrate in city driving - highway only. I am terrified that the hood is going to come loose and cause me to have a serious accident.

I have not mentioned mine to the dealer. I just assume they will say the old standby - your PF is functioning normally. It has been in for so many other issues, the thought of another trip to the dealer makes me nauseous.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I have issues with it too. The dealership has adjusted the bumpers a few times, but refuse to do the latch itself.

My Honda Pilot had the same issue. I think at least some of it is the design, the skin flexes as wind force hits it - I don't think the hood is necessarily moving up and down on the hinge or latch. While it's nerve wracking to watch, I've gotten used to it.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Realize this is an old thread.. But does anyone have any issues with their hood bouncing going down road? The dealer has looked at mine 4 times and says as usual its normal. but the others on the lot are all flush and lines even. unlike mine. just curious if anyone else has this same issue?
The procedure to adjust is covered on pages 274 - 276 of the Door and Lock section of the factory service manual. It is a matter of adjusting the hood latch down and the rubber bumpers up until you have the right clearance and the hood is secure.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
I think I'm having the same issue. My hood vibrates/bounces during open highway speeds with some wind. Never happend with my Flex. When I press down on the hood, it seems very tight - not loose at all, all lines are flush, etc. It also vibrates when I'm on a rough patch of road. Could this be just a bad design (don't they test these before they build them) or trully a loose hood?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had a similar issue with my Pilot and it seemed counter intuitive but the service tech raised (which looked like loosening to me) a couple bumpers and lowered the latch that the problem went away. The service advisors told me nothing was wrong and asked if I could duplicate the problem with a tech in the car (I heard a clanking noise while going over bumpy roads) The tech knew right away what to do. I was pretty impressed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lewist57 went over it above.
Most of the time, just raising the bumpers that the hood sits on is all it takes. Very easy to do yourself.

·
Registered
262 Posts
hood flex is to be expected with makers moving to cheaper gauge steel or even lighter weight materials for body panels. If the hood of your Pathfinder is really being that difficult see if you can take it to a local general shop, those guys are more than capable of that kind of fix. I wouldn't recommend them for service but a little job wont hurt. That or try a body shop...

·
Registered
74 Posts
The procedure to adjust is covered on pages 274 - 276 of the Door and Lock section of the factory service manual. It is a matter of adjusting the hood latch down and the rubber bumpers up until you have the right clearance and the hood is secure.

Do you have a link to the service manual?

·
Registered
44 Posts
hood flex is to be expected with makers moving to cheaper gauge steel or even lighter weight materials for body panels. If the hood of your Pathfinder is really being that difficult see if you can take it to a local general shop, those guys are more than capable of that kind of fix. I wouldn't recommend them for service but a little job wont hurt. That or try a body shop...
We all need to keep in mind that the hood on the new pathy is made out of aluminum ... To keep weight down .

Index of /FSM/Pathfinder/2013 Pathfinder

Reactions: kamjim

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have the same stupid problem with my hood, i taken it to the dealer twice for the issue and still has the same problem, we love our pf but with so many problems lately i don't know about Nissan anymore.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts