Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, does anyone else notice that their hood flutters quite a bit at highway speeds? It seems to be latched down pretty darned tightly, but I do see some road salt intrusion under the hood and signs of splashing, so I'm not sure that it's sealed quite right. Even still, there seems to be ample weatherstripping and again, the hood is cinched down pretty tight - it takes a good slam to close it.

Also, all the seams are perfect, not off-level at all anywhere around the perimeter and the gaps are uniform. This really has me scratching my head.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Usually my wife drives the Pathfinder but I drove it twice this week, last being today and I have noticed this. I actually checked the hood on Thursday to see if it was latched down, which it was. Agree that it is tight but there is a slight flutter that one can see. Might ask the service department when first oil change comes due.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Adjusted the stops down a bit. It didn't mess with the alignment at all, but the weatherstripping seems to compress a bit tighter. We'll see how it goes I guess. Next remedy will be to adjust the hood latch.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Adjusted the stops down a bit. It didn't mess with the alignment at all, but the weatherstripping seems to compress a bit tighter. We'll see how it goes I guess. Next remedy will be to adjust the hood latch.
Yes ours did the same thing. When we took it in to have the CVT checked, the mechanics adjusted the hood and its fine now.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, still fluttering, though I'm not sure if it's as bad as it was before. It could just be the skin flexing too. Not sure what to make of it as it is definitely cinched down / no give at all.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welp, I took off my hood deflector and guess what? No flutter.

It seems that the way the hood deflector juts out at the tip of the hood creates a lifting action. No hood deflector, problem solved.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine does this on windy days. I figured with an open grill like the pf has a lot of air is going through there causing the hood to flutter. I thought this was normal.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
It`s awesome that you`re trying to fix this issue yourself but have you tried taking it into the dealership. For all we know there could be many more 2013 pathfinder owners experiencing the same issues that aren`t on a community like this that have got the problem solved at the dealership.

Might just be some text book approach to this issue at the dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It`s awesome that you`re trying to fix this issue yourself but have you tried taking it into the dealership. For all we know there could be many more 2013 pathfinder owners experiencing the same issues that aren`t on a community like this that have got the problem solved at the dealership.

Might just be some text book approach to this issue at the dealer.
I haven't, only because I'm not due for my first service yet.

·
Registered
186 Posts
me too! having dealer check tomorrow while there for another issue.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I haven't, only because I'm not due for my first service yet.
Yeah might as well go in and get that stuff taken care of in one shot.
I guess it's not annoying enough that you absolutely must take it in.

How far away are you from your next service?

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
I wonder how many of the new pathfinder owners have this issue. If there is a fairly big number I would imagine there should be a TSB or recall.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah might as well go in and get that stuff taken care of in one shot.
I guess it's not annoying enough that you absolutely must take it in.

How far away are you from your next service?
I think I have roughly 2600 miles. First service isn't until 3750 (per the dealer). So, hopefully sometime next month. I will be taking it on a drive down to Florida on April 29th, so even if it doesn't quite hit 3750 by then, it will definitely go in before the trip.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've brought mine into the dealership for this same annoying issue. The dealer says the hood is fine and they couldn't replicate the problem. It's true that the fit seems tight but at about 45+ mph with a bit of a crosswind, the hood begins to shake and on a two lane road, if an oncoming semi passes, the hood actually shakes violently. Contacted Nissanhelp.com and was told there were no other complaints and that I should take it to another dealer to have them test and see if the problem could be replicated. Haven't had the chance to do that but took my iPad and set it up on the dash and have a recorded video of the issue. Intend to bring it back to my dealer to show them when time permits. May post on YouTube if I don't get this resolved.

This is the single biggest complaint about my purchase: Have a 2008 Altima and it's great. My fear is that this is a design flaw and the hood doesn't have enough structural integrity to keep it from fluttering. Infiniti hood design is different so it's probably just a Pathfinder problem.

And... where's the stainless steel rear bumper protector offered as an aftermarket accessory?

·
Registered
11 Posts
my pathfinder's hood skin flutters decidedly at 70mph...and especially if bucking a headwind ...i.e, at 100mph airspeeed- 70mph over the ground into a 30mph gusty headwind gives the appearance of papery flutter to the skin. yikes!

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
I have thought about it and it could be the wind hitting and being deflected somewhere at the grill entry that could be causing the noise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hood Shakes at High Speeds or High Winds

Mine hood shakes / flutters noticeable at speeds above 50 mph and especially if there is a cross wind. I will address Nissan Service about this and let everyone know how it's being resolved.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts