Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2014 Nissan Pathfinder 4WD Platinum and I was looking at installing roof top tent (Tepui). I found this website and just joined as member hoping to find anyone talks about and / or advises on installing, purchasing, usage or any kind of sharings but to my very surprise, I cannot find any related topic! The search results of 'roof top tent (or 'rooftop tent' - I tried both) are all like topics on 'bike roof rack', 'cross bar', 'roof rails', 'roof basket', 'roof cargo box' etc.

Am I missing anything here? or maybe the way I did my search was incorrect..? so there are no owners out here actually have roof top tent install on their Pathfinder?

I'm sorry about my 'unusual intro'. Hopefully anyone can help and let me know how (maybe 'where') to find them? Thanks for reading and any help is appreciated.

·
Administrator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
3,048 Posts
Welcome to the forum !
I joined the forum in 2014 and do not recall ever reading about a roof tent. Some members did install a roof basket but that was it.
I do not know if the factory roof rails are designed to support that much weight, two adults I'd assume.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you jman! for both your welcoming and reply! so wow, you’ve been here 6 years and yet not recall seeing one huh.. interesting.... :unsure: maybe its a hidden message — that its unwise / not recommended to install one on PF...?

I actually was thinking to get a 3 persons tent (if possible). The spec for the tent itself says SWC (Static Weight Capacity) is 250kg.

The Pathfinder Owner’s manual says ‘Do not load more than 150 lb (68 kg) on cross bars. I later learned that the manual was referring to DWC (Dynamic Weight Capacity) and for SWC, should be able to hold 3 times as much as DWC. but even with 3 x 68 kg = 204 kg and thats 2 to 2.5 adults. With a 3 persons roof top tent that’s easily exceed the limit.. I checked with a 4runner and it seems their DMC is 300 lb! Are their roofs that much stronger than ours? I thought 4runner & Pathfinder are 2 very similar grade / class SUVs.

Anyway I am not a mechanic or engineer so my info were all from google. I was hoping to find someone may have done it so I can learn more about it from the experienced..

Meanwhile, I also sent a message to Thule support yesterday and hopefully to get their professional advise for installing one... still waiting for their reply, wish me luck. I sent them another message back in early-June (about something else) but still no reply from them...

·
Administrator
3,048 Posts
The Pathfinder Owner’s manual says ‘Do not load more than 150 lb (68 kg) on cross bars.
I can tell you I have driven back from Florida with much more than that in a cargo carrier and the roof rails held. Not saying it is ok to do this.
I thought 4runner & Pathfinder are 2 very similar grade / class SUVs.
I have to disagree (my opinion), Toyota is Toyota and it seems that they've kept their quality standards and Nissan... well, Nissan doesn't seem to care to much about producing a well built durable vehicle anymore. In addition, the 4Runner is a true SUV, the Pathfinder is a CUV.

Looking at some like this one, the tent itself is 180 lbs.... and as expensive as a used pop-up trailer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That tent is not bad! I like the panoramic view! :love: So, assuming 3 adults weight 200 lb each in average, thats 600 lb (273 kg) total. 182 (tent) + 600 (3 x adults) = 782 lb (356 kg)

If 204 kg is really the max SWC for Pathfinder, then I assumed part of the total weight (356 kg) can get distributed to the telescopic ladder (to the ground) too.. but people move around in the tent and what if at one point all 3 somehow move to the side that’s on top of the vehicle.....😰

o_O why is it so difficult..?! geez..

maybe as you said this is more of a CUV thats why..

Anyway thanks for sharing your experience. I found many owners said they loaded much more than 150 lb as well (like 700-900 lb!) and everyone seemed doing ok with that too

·
Registered
334 Posts
If they can put a roof top tent on an Acura NSX, we can definitely put one on the PF. It's just a matter of planning and making sure where everything sits so that nothing is putting too much weight in just one area.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there, I've got a 2019 SL that I'd like to use my rooftop pop-up tent on. It was used on a 2015 Jeep Cherokee with a Thule roof rack and held two adults. But all the information I can find is a Max of 150lbs as well. I called my local dealer who has a call into their parts tech dept to clarify.
Have you successfully used one?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi there. Unfortunately I was not able to get a solid positive answer so far. I asked a couple Nissan dealerships but they were either telling me not recommended to install one or just weren't sure. Also no company would seemed to take the responsibility after installing one for you... I think I may have to go for another option or a much smaller and lighter one. I wanted a larger one at the beginning but I may have no choice but to go for 1-2 persons instead. Another reason is many of the tents were sold out since. so nope, I haven't been used one yet. Sorry couldn't help

Please do share here if you have any updates ! :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Totally completely overpriced, people often sell nearly new ones as they are bulky and head to put up there.

·
Registered
2016 Pathfinder SV AWD
31 Posts
I can tell you I have driven back from Florida with much more than that in a cargo carrier and the roof rails held. Not saying it is ok to do this.

I have to disagree (my opinion), Toyota is Toyota and it seems that they've kept their quality standards and Nissan... well, Nissan doesn't seem to care to much about producing a well built durable vehicle anymore. In addition, the 4Runner is a true SUV, the Pathfinder is a CUV.

Looking at some like this one, the tent itself is 180 lbs.... and as expensive as a used pop-up trailer.
jman, do you remember how much weight you had up there?

a 62" basket can be 45#. Add a full size spare at 60#, and now you have only 45# of cargo that can go up there.

So, please spill the beans.

·
Administrator
3,048 Posts
jman, do you remember how much weight you had up there?

a 62" basket can be 45#. Add a full size spare at 60#, and now you have only 45# of cargo that can go up there.

So, please spill the beans.
Can't say for sure as I never weighed the whole thing but will tell you I had to run to straps to make sure the cargo carrier made it without loosing any items. I'm guessing 100kg but could be wrong.

·
Registered
2016 Pathfinder SV AWD
31 Posts
Can't say for sure as I never weighed the whole thing but will tell you I had to run to straps to make sure the cargo carrier made it without loosing any items. I'm guessing 100kg but could be wrong.
Thanks jman.

good to know.

by the way, I figured how to put my full size wheel behind the 3rd row seats with the seats up.

I will start anew tread sometime showing this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts