Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Y'all know that science fair project HID conversions are illegal, right? Here's the science behind why you shouldn't do it. But as the announcer said at Woodstock with respect to taking the bad brown acid, "it's your trip". :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Y'all know that science fair project HID conversions are illegal, right? Here's the science behind why you shouldn't do it. But as the announcer said at Woodstock with respect to taking the bad brown acid, "it's your trip". :)
Did you come on here and sign up just so you can tell people here they're in the wrong? Their cars, they can do as they want. Move along troll.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the welcome to the forum.

Just a heads-up, I'm just saying they're illegal. If you have them and get in an accident at night, and if it's a bad one, the insurance companies will be all over the cars to blame someone/something else to eliminate their payout. If they find an illegal modification, the reason for the crash, no matter what else happened, will be that you couldn't see, or you blinded the other car. You can lose everything getting sued with the insurance company withdrawn from their end of the deal.

It's like if your water heater explodes and burns your house down, they will investigate. If they find some self-service wiring in another part of the house, unrelated to the heater, they will deny coverage because the house wasn't to code. It happens.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thank you for the welcome to the forum.

Just a heads-up, I'm just saying they're illegal. If you have them and get in an accident at night, and if it's a bad one, the insurance companies will be all over the cars to blame someone/something else to eliminate their payout. If they find an illegal modification, the reason for the crash, no matter what else happened, will be that you couldn't see, or you blinded the other car. You can lose everything getting sued with the insurance company withdrawn from their end of the deal.

It's like if your water heater explodes and burns your house down, they will investigate. If they find some self-service wiring in another part of the house, unrelated to the heater, they will deny coverage because the house wasn't to code. It happens.
I'm just going to assume you know nothing of how insurance companies work or you just enjoy acting as if you know it all? Also welcome to the board, feel free to read more and post less. Good day

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm with you 100%.

And I just did a HID Bi-Xenon conversion.

Inserting Xenon lamps into a standard reflector housing on a Pathfinder is a terrible idea, in my opinion. That's what Danielsternlighting.com is talking about.

However, a proper xenon projector retrofit not only produces better lighting, it also produces safer lighting for other drivers because of the much superior cutoff point.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm just going to assume you know nothing of how insurance companies work or you just enjoy acting as if you know it all? Also welcome to the board, feel free to read more and post less. Good day
Above you said, "their cars, they can do as they want". Sooo... when the ricers want blue headlights and green turn signal lights, and cover their tail lights with black film, that's OK, right? Or hillbillies want to raise their trucks so high that the center of gravity is unstable and bumpers are about head level with a normal car? Laws are in place for vehicle uniformity and safety for the driver and oncoming traffic. They give tickets around here messing with headlights.

I'm pretty familiar the muscle car world. Guys take these old cars that originally had 4 manual drums, and do a "resto-mod" upgrade to them to 4 power discs. Infinitely better stopping power, but not the OEM design. Some have gotten burned in court and subsequently the insurance company because their upgrades weren't approved by the governing agencies.

Again, just sayin'...

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
It's not really too expensive to retrofit projectors into your headlights. I am also not a huge fan of slapping an HID kit into a halogen reflector.

I just picked up a Morimoto Mini H1 projector for cheap to retrofit into my winter beater. Car is only worth like $500 but I can't stand the stock headlights and I don't feel like slapping HIDs on and blinding everyone.

The projector with HID kit was under $200. I got a quote of $300 labour but I'm probably just going to do it myself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's not really too expensive to retrofit projectors into your headlights. I am also not a huge fan of slapping an HID kit into a halogen reflector.

I just picked up a Morimoto Mini H1 projector for cheap to retrofit into my winter beater. Car is only worth like $500 but I can't stand the stock headlights and I don't feel like slapping HIDs on and blinding everyone.

The projector with HID kit was under $200. I got a quote of $300 labour but I'm probably just going to do it myself.
Where did you get the projector kits for $200?

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you know what you are doing you will save a ton and really it's not that hard to do a projector install. Tons of DIY's out there on how to do it, probably none on the new pathfinder but enough on other cars to give you a general idea of what has to be done.

Where did you get the projector kits for $200?
I know that theretrofitsource.com is a great place for projectors and HID's

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
retrofit source. Prob one of the most popular places for retrofitting kits and for morimoto hid kits.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have the wiring harness to install HID's on my truck but its missing the fuse between the plug ins and the battery. What size fuse should I use? I'm using 35w ballast.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm new to this but I wanted to put in a morimoto kit, would the Headlight housing give me trouble in terms of glare? Just curious because I see other members who have and they seem to love it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm new to this but I wanted to put in a morimoto kit, would the Headlight housing give me trouble in terms of glare? Just curious because I see other members who have and they seem to love it.
Any HID kit in a stock reflector housing causes massive glare unless you get it retrofitted..

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I have the wiring harness to install HID's on my truck but its missing the fuse between the plug ins and the battery. What size fuse should I use? I'm using 35w ballast.
honestly I've seen people use 15amp 20amp 30amp 40amp...

If you buy a relay kit it should come with a fuse anyways.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts