Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
You're right at the max and it's safely worked for you and your specific usage. That's all that matters. I think this is great information and even better than you shared it with us. This is one of the few reports we've had with someone at the max and having no major complaints.

Big box shape travel trailers are the worst case scenario for any tow rig. Totally different animal than towing a boat, popup camper, flatbed trailer, etc.
No complaints whatsoever yet - though I've not taxed it up long inclines, the short inclines, even steep ones, are no trouble... high RPMs (3000-ish) but smooth. I do have a Fastway e2 WDH with built-in Sway control and Brake Controller. BTW - I was warned NOT to get the 8000/800 lb hitch because some Lawyer will infer you had it set up outside Nissan Specs... It has some aerodynamics to it at the front, and I can feel the truck blast but never once felt it sway. While I know I am at Max, I am confident in its performance so far... and I am told the '18 CVT does not have the failure issues with earlier models... even so, I did change the CVT fluid and plan to do it fairly often, even at $220 each time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
No complaints whatsoever yet - though I've not taxed it up long inclines, the short inclines, even steep ones, are no trouble... high RPMs (3000-ish) but smooth. I do have a Fastway e2 WDH with built-in Sway control and Brake Controller. BTW - I was warned NOT to get the 8000/800 lb hitch because some Lawyer will infer you had it set up outside Nissan Specs... It has some aerodynamics to it at the front, and I can feel the truck blast but never once felt it sway. While I know I am at Max, I am confident in its performance so far... and I am told the '18 CVT does not have the failure issues with earlier models... even so, I did change the CVT fluid and plan to do it fairly often, even at $220 each time. View attachment 15878
Your TT looks about the same size as mine. I have a No Boundaries 19.8. It only has one axel. It is 22.8 feet long, the dry weight is 3789, the tongue weight is 395. I have a 2020 Pathfinder. When I travel it is just my sister and I. I went to a CAT scale and I was well under the 11,000. pounds my PF can handle. The total weight of the TT was about 4600 lbs fully loaded. Just curious about the specs of your trailer. I am towing my TT from Connecticut to Yellowstone and the Tetons this summer. I am going to pack as light as possible, but I am still nervous, feeling that I might be pushing the boundaries. I'm glad you posted, it does make me feel better. I do plan on selling my TT at the end of summer 2022, as I plan on buying a class C. I do hate towing. Happy camping, Cathy PS Please give me the specs of your TT

·
Registered
5 Posts
Your TT looks about the same size as mine. I have a No Boundaries 19.8. It only has one axel. It is 22.8 feet long, the dry weight is 3789, the tongue weight is 395. I have a 2020 Pathfinder. When I travel it is just my sister and I. I went to a CAT scale and I was well under the 11,000. pounds my PF can handle. The total weight of the TT was about 4600 lbs fully loaded. Just curious about the specs of your trailer. I am towing my TT from Connecticut to Yellowstone and the Tetons this summer. I am going to pack as light as possible, but I am still nervous, feeling that I might be pushing the boundaries. I'm glad you posted, it does make me feel better. I do plan on selling my TT at the end of summer 2022, as I plan on buying a class C. I do hate towing. Happy camping, Cathy PS Please give me the specs of your TT
My TT is 23' and 4777# Dry and weighs loaded around 5500# I will confess some aprehension on our upcoming trip into the Smoky's, but so far hills have not been an issue. We will likely get a Nissan Armada before we go out west, but will keep this Passport 23RB - really love it for its size. My wife and I drove a Class C Minnie Winnie out west years ago and have discussed all options, concluding we prefer a Travel Trailer so we can camp somewhere and unhook to go driving around - in the Minnie Winnie we were sometimes stuck at camp not wanting to haul the thing into town or in tight places.
And BTW, feel free to PM me about Yellowstone/Grand Teton - I know it very well, and have guided tours out there since the late 80's. [email protected]

·
Registered
352 Posts
This thread is typical in the world of towing, everyone is right according to themselves, some people don't seem to have a problem maxing out their vehicle and others like myself who beleive in overkill. In my mind the more extra capacity you have the better chance you have of over coming a road situation be it wind, weather, sudden stop etc. When I went from the Pathfinder to the Ram the biggest difference was stopping power with weight on the back, the Pathfinder took a lot longer to stop when slowing down in traffic not to mention panic stops. IMO its all good till you have a situation happen to you...so I don't mind being a worrisome granny when it comes to towing a travel trailer.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts