Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a similar post on my issue that wasn't really answered but it was from May so I thought I'd start a new one. The past few weeks my '13 PF has been making grinding type noises when applying the brakes lightly. It almost always happens first thing in the morning when bringing my daughter to school. When applying light pressure, it's a grinding/wet type sound. I can only hear it when the radio is off but it is very apparent to me. Anyone else had this happen?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is your vehicle parked outside overnight in a climate that has dew in the morning. Your brakes may be getting just a slight amount of rust on the disk. This will also happen if you wash your car and not drive it for a day or two. Just a thought.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's always parked in the garage at home. I was thinking of anything rain or water related but we don't get much rain and it happens regardless. Maybe I should take it in but had the torque converter replaced last month so was hoping to stay out of the dealership lol. But do want to get it fixed if there's something wrong, just odd it happens more a certain time of day.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well it's afternoon now and still doing it. I'm wondering if it correlates with me filling the tank? I dont know how in the world it would but it seems to be worse with a full tank and almost sounds like fluids sloshing sometimes with the grinding. It's always been most apparent in the car line and neighborhood stop and go.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Tough to say what it is, best to take it into the dealership while waiting for more responses here. Hopefully you get to the cause of it. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
take a look at the rotors and see if they are rusted before you head off. sometimes they grind in the morning if the rotors are rusted

how often does this happen?

dont ignore brake problems. you need the brakes to drive safely.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
take a look at the rotors and see if they are rusted before you head off. sometimes they grind in the morning if the rotors are rusted

how often does this happen?

dont ignore brake problems. you need the brakes to drive safely.
Fortunately in a situation like this your brake system gives you enough warning signs that something is going wrong.

Any update on the brake issue?, i'd like to know.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's been at the dealership since Thursday and they don't even know what is wrong! Ha! First thing they adjusted the brake calipers then changed the pads. When that didn't fix it, they were sure air must be in the coolant system so they tried that fix and that also didn't help. So now Monday we should know what they're going to try next. Such an odd problem! I was doubtful any of those fixes would be it really but I'm lost as to what it is! They definetly heard it so atleast I know I'm not crazy lol.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok well THAT also didn't work! They had to call and talk with Nissan engineers. They told them it sounds like there's damage to the fuel tank so now they have to take that out and inspect and possibly change it. The service dept has been great but we had a really bad experience with sales. After a lot of crap, we found out our PF they got from another dealership was wrecked! It was only backed into another car but did have to have body damage replaced. I was not happy but it was already ours and atleast it wasn't a real, on the road crash. But now it may be another story because I don't understand how else it could have fuel tank damage on a new car! I'm going to try to speak with the dealership owner today. Anyone know anything about else? Is it possible to have a strong case?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
what in the world?

grinding brake sounds leading to coolant replacement and gas tank problems? Maybe I'm just not smart enough but I don't see the relation.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see I didn't mention the other sound of occasional swishing liquid along with the crunching brakes. I don't know how they relate exactly. I'm now in the dealership and they may get me in a new PF.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So they took the fuel tank off and Nissan said to replace it, something may be damaged with a line. I'm driving a '14 PF now and it's making the same brake noises!!! I'm beginning to wonder if I have some crazy bad luck with this or what the heck is going on. I'm surprised no one else has had this now :-/ It's consistently when going about 10-15 mph and making a steady, slow stop..heard it a few times dropping my daughter off this morning. I'm beginning to want the Quest but the base model of the PF is a lot nicer :-/ Fuel tank should be in thursday.

·
Registered
2013 Pathfinder SL AWD
109 Posts
I suggest you go to a new stealership because it sounds like they have no idea what they are doing. Brakes have nothing to do with engine coolant nor fuel tank. What in the world are they doing?

I would get it out of there asap before they take apart the whole car chasing down the lockness monster and damage something!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, it seems they are working on the problem of the sound of fluid sloshing. I also asked how the fuel tank and/or coolant would affect they braking and the answer they gave was pretty much that they're trying to fix one of the problems and see if that fixes the other? I don't know. But the nissan engineers are the ones who instructed them to change out the fuel tank. I should know this morning if that helped but I'm doubtful. And now my current '14 PF is making the same braking noises but not as much of the fluid sloshing. Did I happen to get 2 of the only lemons with these issues?! Some luck haha but better than multiple transmissions I guess.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
So they took the fuel tank off and Nissan said to replace it, something may be damaged with a line. I'm driving a '14 PF now and it's making the same brake noises!!! I'm beginning to wonder if I have some crazy bad luck with this or what the heck is going on. I'm surprised no one else has had this now :-/ It's consistently when going about 10-15 mph and making a steady, slow stop..heard it a few times dropping my daughter off this morning. I'm beginning to want the Quest but the base model of the PF is a lot nicer :-/ Fuel tank should be in thursday.
do you think you would be able to capture it on camera?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It is at very slow speeds..10-15 mph and a slow, firm braking. They actually heard it multiple times when we took a test drive around the parking lot. Now the fuel tank did not fix it. And they said they drove another '13 PF and it made the same noise. But when they drove it without the fuel tank, it didn't make that noise. So they're opening a case with nissan to make sure this is normal operation. I'm surprised no one else has heard this now! Also, the radio has to be off to hear it too but even if it's on, you can slightly feel it in the brakes. I think they're going to get us into a 2014 today anyway because of the brand new one they sold us being backed into and now having the transmission, coolant system, brakes and fuel tank being taken apart!

·
Registered
262 Posts
so the fuel tank causes your brakes to grind, yet they drove one without the fuel tank and it made no noise.

sounds like jive really. Who ever heard of a fuel tank effing with your brakes...

·
Registered
440 Posts
so the fuel tank causes your brakes to grind, yet they drove one without the fuel tank and it made no noise.

sounds like jive really. Who ever heard of a fuel tank effing with your brakes...
Wow! I thought my Pathfinder got good gas mileage, but if yours drives without the fuel tank, that would be hard to beat. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Haha I didn't know you could drive them without the fuel tank too but is there some kind of reserve of some in the engine where you could drive for 10-20 sec? I have the slightest clue about these things. Well we ended up getting a 2014 yesterday.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts