Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From a JX, but since they are sister vehicle I thought I'd ask here as well. Trying to figure out where all the grease came from? All the seals look to be intact. Maybe slop from the factory? Brand new, just a 100 miles on her.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
From a JX, but since they are sister vehicle I thought I'd ask here as well. Trying to figure out where all the grease came from? All the seals look to be intact. Maybe slop from the factory? Brand new, just a 100 miles on her.
Have a good look at the accordion boot you see in there. It holds grease for the cv joint. It might be broken, and if it runs dry, you can damage the cv joint, or at the very least wear it down fast'er.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. i did check out he boot. looks to be in perfect shape. i wonder if maybe it flew off and the dealer secured it back and didn't bother cleaning up the inside of the wheel? it is a puzzler.

·
Registered
119 Posts
thanks. i did check out he boot. looks to be in perfect shape. i wonder if maybe it flew off and the dealer secured it back and didn't bother cleaning up the inside of the wheel? it is a puzzler.
Could be. That boot is the only thing there holding grease.... So you most likely will be ok.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I would say you should go into your Nissan dealership to let them have a look at it just to make sure it has sufficient amount of grease and won't run dry damaging the CV joint, but it's probably not that big of a problem, but if you do start noticing any difference while driving over time then you should drop by Nissan.

Or just call them up, ask if it should be brought in, if not, great!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: The dealer replaced the outer CV boot. Infiniti sent out a regional tech to examine and as best as anyone can figure out, the error was during assembly and not manufacturing of the boot itself. The worker must have misaligned the band.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Update: The dealer replaced the outer CV boot. Infiniti sent out a regional tech to examine and as best as anyone can figure out, the error was during assembly and not manufacturing of the boot itself. The worker must have misaligned the band.
thankfully it just happened during assembly, would suck if all CV boots were like this, we'd probably see some major recall notice. I would still keep an eye on it tho, you never kno.

·
Registered
41 Posts
thankfully it just happened during assembly, would suck if all CV boots were like this, we'd probably see some major recall notice. I would still keep an eye on it tho, you never kno.
It doesn't sound like a widespread problem. First I've heard about it and probably just one time error by Nissan.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts