Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To everyone who has the shuddering issue or has been following the issue, yesterday I opened a case with Nissan CA regarding the shudder issue in my 13 PF and today a rep called to inform me that as of yesterday, 6/13/13, a TSB had been released to dealers and that I needed to bring my vehicle in to the dealer the first chance I got to get it repaired. I asked her if this would be a software update or something more time consuming and she said she wasn't sure about how long it would take but that they would be replacing the entire torque converter and reprogramming the TCM. Maybe this will be a permanent fix and provide some relief to myself and everyone else dealing with this problem!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Great News! I've been harsh on Nissan for letting this problem occur in the first place, but I have to give them credit for stepping up and dealing with this really quickly. It is yet to be seen if this quick fix is also effective, if it proves to be effective I may be purchasing a Pathfinder in the next year or so, because you know, all of this talk about shuddering aside, I have not heard barely a peep on this forum regarding other issues. For a first model year vehicle that is selling very well (they are in very short supply in Southern Alberta, dealers can't even offer testers because they sell before they arrive, and there is a waiting list), that says a lot to me.

Go check out the forums for competitors and you'll read about long lists of electrical problems, rough idle, oil consumption, can't start issues, stalling, engine and trans seal leaks, groaning grinding and knocking from the powertrain etc..

I haven't heard one complaint about rear-end noises or vibrations from the Pathfinder, so the AWD system seems to be doing very well so far. Perhaps the rear end is a little more heavy duty, or perhaps they used an existing proven design as the one in the Murano, I'm not sure if it is the very same system or unique to the Path? Regardless, initial quality seems to be very high so far.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Great News! I've been harsh on Nissan for letting this problem occur in the first place, but I have to give them credit for stepping up and dealing with this really quickly. It is yet to be seen if this quick fix is also effective, if it proves to be effective I may be purchasing a Pathfinder in the next year or so, because you know, all of this talk about shuddering aside, I have not heard barely a peep on this forum regarding other issues. For a first model year vehicle that is selling very well (they are in very short supply in Southern Alberta, dealers can't even offer testers because they sell before they arrive, and there is a waiting list), that says a lot to me.

Go check out the forums for competitors and you'll read about long lists of electrical problems, rough idle, oil consumption, can't start issues, stalling, engine and trans seal leaks, groaning grinding and knocking from the powertrain etc..

I haven't heard one complaint about rear-end noises or vibrations from the Pathfinder, so the AWD system seems to be doing very well so far. Perhaps the rear end is a little more heavy duty, or perhaps they used an existing proven design as the one in the Murano, I'm not sure if it is the very same system or unique to the Path? Regardless, initial quality seems to be very high so far.
I initially was under the impression from the dealer that it would just be a software update, which didn't leave me too confident since there'd been one of those already that didnt work for most people, but now that they're talking about also replacing the torque converter with a newly designed one so I have to say I've regained some confidence in nissan. I feel like they finally took some initiative and looked for the root cause.

I agree, I haven't seen too many complaints beyond the CVT. There's the airbag sensor recall issue but that's a quick fix at the dealer from my understanding. My wife and I love the vehicle aside from the CVT probs and if the CVT issue does indeed get fixed I think the Pathfinder would be almost unbeatable in its class.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good news indeed.

The fact they are replacing a part means they likely have the issue solved. I doubt they would throw a part at an issue like this.

Good quick work by Nissan.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can someone post the TSB that was released for this, I can't seem to find it online. Thx!
It hasn't been posted yet on the website that lists all the TSB's. The agent didnt give me the TSB number but when I asked what I should do if the dealership didn't know what I was talking about she said that if for some reason they hadn't received the bulletin yet that they should call Techline.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I believe it is NTB13059 and NTB13064 from www.nissan-tech info.com.
PathPilot is correct..
Subject: SB 2013 Altima Sedan V6 and Pathfinder; Shudder From Torque Converter Clutch
Summary of NTB13064:
IF YOU CONFIRM A shudder (multiple bumps) from the torque converter lock-up clutch engagement, and all of the following when the issue occurs: - Vehicle speed is between 18 and 35 mph. - Throttle position is about 10%. - When issue occurs, if more throttle is applied issue stops. - No DTCs are stored. NOTE: If the shudder occurs at speeds below 18 mph or above 35 mph this bulletin does not apply. ACTION 1. Replace the torque converter with the new one listed in the Parts Information. 2. Refer to step 6 in the SERVICE PROCEDURE to confirm if TCM reprogramming is needed. See this bulletin for further detail.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have also received a call from my dealership stating that Nissan has come up with a fix. They told me that it has to with the torque converter. I was also informed that this has just been released by Nissan and it may take a week to get it in. Hope it comes in soon. I am assuming that since it is the torque converter that needs replace they will have to pull the transmission, which will take some time to do.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also HAD the shudder issue with my PF. The torque converter and TCM modules were replaced about 2500 miles ago after my dealer performed data recording - test drive with data recorder and captured the shudder issue. So far so good and I'm loving my PF.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree, I haven't seen too many complaints beyond the CVT. There's the airbag sensor recall issue but that's a quick fix at the dealer from my understanding. My wife and I love the vehicle aside from the CVT probs and if the CVT issue does indeed get fixed I think the Pathfinder would be almost unbeatable in its class.
I had the airbag sensor fix done 2 months ago, it is better but still malfunctioned 2 times since then that I noticed. I hope the CVT fix works as I also have that issue.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If Nissan has a new/improved torque converter, why wouldn't everyone be eligible to get it? We have only experienced the shudder a few times, but may not be able to replicate it on-demand for the dealer. It would be good to know if they are just replacing defective torque converters or if this is actually a new design.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If Nissan has a new/improved torque converter, why wouldn't everyone be eligible to get it? We have only experienced the shudder a few times, but may not be able to replicate it on-demand for the dealer. It would be good to know if they are just replacing defective torque converters or if this is actually a new design.
I had this exact same thought. My Pathfinder has 5k miles on it and I THINK the judder may have happened once. But I'm not sure.

If they're replacing the torque converters because they're defective with the same one, no big deal. Maybe mine isn't defective. But if this is a new design then why are they not offering it to all owners?

It's weird, on one hand I'm pleased that I have had 0 problems. The Pathfinder has been terrific, better than expected. On the other I'm pissed that I may not be eligible to get this taken care of. I guess it's not Nissans responsibility to take care of a problem that hasn't reared its head yet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I contacted Nissan via Facebook, and got immediate contact back. Their consumer affairs department called me this week and said that their was a new TSB out and the torque converter would be replaced. They already contacted my service advisor, and he would be awaiting my call to set up an appointment. They could not replicate the issue at the dealership, but indicated they would replace the torque converter. I am not too happy about the issue with the vehicle, but I must say, Nissan has been great about responding and following up. We'll see what happens next week.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am almost certain they will replace the tc on all vehicles.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for the update! This is great news for those who are affected. My dealer's service department has been extremely difficult to work with, so I'm hoping they will perform this TSB without keeping a week to try to replicate the problem. Looking forward to finally being able to fully enjoy this vehicle!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the update! This is great news for those who are affected. My dealer's service department has been extremely difficult to work with, so I'm hoping they will perform this TSB without keeping a week to try to replicate the problem. Looking forward to finally being able to fully enjoy this vehicle!
Hopefully you will have better luck with them on this. My dealership had been helpful up until the TSB was released and suddenly became a pain when I called yesterday, they gave me the whole "we'll have to drive it and replicate it first" spill. I let them know that I most definitely WAS NOT going through that again and that I had already opened a case with Nissan, which their service dept advised me to do, and Nissan CA is who told me to bring it in and get the repair done. Needless to say, they were extremely nice this morning when I brought my PF in and told me they'd go ahead and order the parts and get it fixed asap.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts