Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the pathfinder used to be a very masculine vehicle, body on frame construction with pickup truck bones, but the new facelift seems to give the pathfinder some needed femininity.

Even in intimidating surroundings, there's no need to sacrifice interior comfort and versatility, and the Pathfinder is exactly this. My wife was particularly impressed with the extraordinary quietness and smoothness of the ride, In her words "the engine is so super quiet"

Have your wives or girlfriends had similar realizations? Or better yet did the added touch of femininity help you choose the pathfinder as a family vehicle?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don't necessarily think I'd call it a touch of femininity. Nissan is simply adapting their vehicle to fit the needs of families today and to what is selling (crossovers). The Xterra is still there as an off-road vehicle for Nissan and it's U.S. sales figures are proof that Nissan made the right move with the PF. In '02, almost 80k Xterras were sold compared to 2012 when only 17,222 were sold.

We were looking for a mid-size SUV, and yes, my wife was the one who picked it out...she was going to be the primary driver anyways. To answer the first question though, she has noticed the quietness and smooth ride. My wife picked the PF out based more on the fact that she previously owned a Nissan that proved to be dependable, the PF had just the right amount of space and because the EPA estimates were exceptionally good for the class.

I'm not jumping on you, patches, so please don't take it that way, but I have noticed elsewhere on the internet that there is this recurring theme naming the new PF as the "Momfinder", or a "soccermom mobile". Basically just complaining because the new PF "is a shell of it's former self". This is my first Pathfinder so I guess I could care less what it used to be. If people are that disgusted with the PF, get an Xterra. Heck, Jeep even still makes the Wrangler. Some of my hobbies require a lot of off-roading and that's what my truck is for. I have no problem with people who prefer SUV's for off-roading, they've just never been suitable for me. Nissan geared this vehicle more toward families and less toward off-road...and judging by the sales figures, I don't think that's going to change.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't necessarily think I'd call it a touch of femininity. Nissan is simply adapting their vehicle to fit the needs of families today and to what is selling (crossovers). The Xterra is still there as an off-road vehicle for Nissan and it's U.S. sales figures are proof that Nissan made the right move with the PF. In '02, almost 80k Xterras were sold compared to 2012 when only 17,222 were sold.

We were looking for a mid-size SUV, and yes, my wife was the one who picked it out...she was going to be the primary driver anyways. To answer the first question though, she has noticed the quietness and smooth ride. My wife picked the PF out based more on the fact that she previously owned a Nissan that proved to be dependable, the PF had just the right amount of space and because the EPA estimates were exceptionally good for the class.

I'm not jumping on you, patches, so please don't take it that way, but I have noticed elsewhere on the internet that there is this recurring theme naming the new PF as the "Momfinder", or a "soccermom mobile". Basically just complaining because the new PF "is a shell of it's former self". This is my first Pathfinder so I guess I could care less what it used to be. If people are that disgusted with the PF, get an Xterra. Heck, Jeep even still makes the Wrangler. Some of my hobbies require a lot of off-roading and that's what my truck is for. I have no problem with people who prefer SUV's for off-roading, they've just never been suitable for me. Nissan geared this vehicle more toward families and less toward off-road...and judging by the sales figures, I don't think that's going to change.
no i understand completely what you're saying. Just to clarify the OP was in no way a knock on the pathfinder just simply an observation that Nissan had tweaked the pathfinder to appeal to more female tastes. I feel the same thing was evident with the Ford Explorer, when it was based off the F-150 it had more of a truck feel that appealed mainly to masculine buyers, same with the pathfinder. Now that the Explorer has been changed to unibody, predominately FWD setup its become friendlier to female buyers.

You're correct about the sales figures and nothing will change but I feel the added appeal to females is whats helping to drive the pathfinders sales growth.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
its good on gas. the interior is not bad. and its got some safety features.

if that makes it appeal to women then gosh. seems like many cars would appeal to women.

to me the VW Beetle is a womans car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts