Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I step on the gas pedal all the way and then just a bit more it feels like its pressing a button and doing something different (maybe taking off overdrive); anyone know ?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Oh really - the pathfinder has a kick-down button? I know german cars have this - it causes an immediate downshift instead of waiting for the transmission figure out the right time to do it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When I step on the gas pedal all the way and then just a bit more it feels like its pressing a button and doing something different (maybe taking off overdrive); anyone know ?
I pressed my gas pedal all the way today, entering the interstate. I felt the click as well. I am glad I am not the only one that felt it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
are you sure you werent just feeling CVT lag? How can Pathfinder have an overdrive gear if it doesnt actually have gears :S:S

·
Registered
2 Posts
I haven't yet felt it in my PF, but I had the same click feeling on my Altima. It seemed like it would drop a "gear" for extra power.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Yup, I think it is a 'clicker' and not a switch. If you get down and run your hand on the back side of the accelerator pedal, you will feel a raised part. When you press the pedal all the way in, it makes a clicking noise.

In looking at the schematics in the Engine Control portion of the factory manual, I don't see a switch or any mention of a switch. The accelerator uses two position sensors (I think for safety, in case you lose one, you have the other one), but no "wide open throttle switch". The engine computer uses the fact that the accelerator is fully depressed to kill the AC when running, and to enter into some diagnostics test.

The weird thing is the following is in the Owner's Manual:

Accelerator downshift
— in D position —
For passing or hill climbing, depress the accelerator
pedal to the floor. This shifts the transmission
down into a lower gear, depending on the
vehicle speed.

My guess is that wording was copied from another Owners Manuals with regular (non-CVT) transmissions, since the Pathfinder does not technically have "gears". The recommendation that one depress the accelerator pedal "to the floor" to pass is somewhat of a strange recommendation as well.

My other guess is that this is a feedback mechanism to the driver that he or she has "floored" it, and not a switch, as there is no need for a switch to tell the computer that the accelerator is to the floor. Even this does not make that much sense, as you would think the driver would know the accelerator is to the floor when you can't move it any more.....

Or it could indeed be a "accelerator fully depressed" switch that is not documented.

·
Registered
440 Posts
It has virtual gears lol but actually just one long one ;)
It also has an "overdrive" button and a "low" gear setting. The terminology has to be adapted for CVT, but the principles still apply.

My guess is that the switch is an electrical mechanism for shutting off the AC to give the powertrain 100% of the power. Makes sense that it only happens when you floor the gas, otherwise a steep hill or heavy load with moderate acceleration could trigger the AC cutoff.

And, personally, unless my life is in danger trying to pass or merge, I would rather have less power and more AC. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts