Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been having a problem lately when I go to fill-up the gas tank, only the first time, I was able to get a full tank based on the instrument panel needle pointing to "1" and the miles to empty showing above 400 miles. After that, I haven't been able to get a full tank, even after I press on the nozzle a couple of times after it shuts down. The most I got is up to 375 miles to empty. I always get my gas at costco, so I was wondering if I'm the only one with that problem before I talk to the dealer about it.

Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
The best I've gotten to read on a full tank was 315 miles to empty. I drive 90% or more in the city. I think the miles to empty is based off of your overall MPG reading.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The miles to empty is calculated based off of your past driving. It's a safety feature. If you begin to drive for 30-40 miles at highway speeds it will adjust and learn and recalculate. If you drive mostly city in the past it learns this and it is giving you a realistic miles to empty.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The miles to empty depends on your average fuel economy as it adjusts to your driving it recalculates your range.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know that part, but the needle of the gas indicator doesn't move all the way to indicate a full tank, it will go up to half way between 3/4 tank mark and the "1" mark (full).

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I know that part, but the needle of the gas indicator doesn't move all the way to indicate a full tank, it will go up to half way between 3/4 tank mark and the "1" mark (full).
Mine goes all the way to full, no problem. Sounds like something is wrong with the fuel float or gauge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This just happens to me this week on our new PF. Going to have the dealer take a look when I take it in around 1200 miles for an oil change. The first fill up it did go all the way to "1" but this last fill up, the needle didn't get all the way there and the tank as definitely full.

·
Registered
112 Posts
This just happens to me this week on our new PF. Going to have the dealer take a look when I take it in around 1200 miles for an oil change. The first fill up it did go all the way to "1" but this last fill up, the needle didn't get all the way there and the tank as definitely full.
Did the nozzle at the gas station click to let you know it was reaching capacity?

Keep us posting on what the dealerships says and does, would like to hear the cause of this although I have a good feeling it's the floater.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did the nozzle at the gas station click to let you know it was reaching capacity?

Keep us posting on what the dealerships says and does, would like to hear the cause of this although I have a good feeling it's the floater.
It definitely clicked. When I got in the car and noticed it, I turned it off and attempted to put more gas in the pathfinder. But alas, it clicked instantly. Will be taking it in within the next two weeks. Will keep this updated. I will have to fill up again before than as well. Hoping it was a fluke, but doesn't seem like it if someone else has experienced a similar issues.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I experienced the same thing as "cmwilhelm". I went to the dealer yesterday to show them that, I stop to get gas and this time, the needle moved to over"1" and 410 miles until empty. I got an appointment for next friday to have them run a diagnostics. It'll be interesting what cmwilhelm gets told and I get told by the dealer. To be continue....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Follow up. Went to the dealer, they did a diagnostics on the system, and everything checked fine, one mechanic went with me to fill-up and it went all the way full with 410 miles showing on the screen. He tells me that some gas pumps, especially costco, are more sensitive to pressure when the tank is getting full. Who knows if that is true..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Follow up. Went to the dealer, they did a diagnostics on the system, and everything checked fine, one mechanic went with me to fill-up and it went all the way full with 410 miles showing on the screen. He tells me that some gas pumps, especially costco, are more sensitive to pressure when the tank is getting full. Who knows if that is true..
Just an update from me as well. Filled up over the weekend and the needle went to over "1." I have an appointment this week to do an oil change as I just hit the 1200 mile break-in period.

I am sure I will get a similar story, but will keep this updated.

Not related, but the second quirk with my pathfinder came up this weekend as well. Opened the moonroof and heard some terrible squeaking sound. When the moonroof goes back, the glass is scraping against some metal on the top of the car. It looks like its aluminum style tape that has sound dampening material under it. Nt exactly sure, but I am afraid to open the moonroof at the moment.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Not related, but the second quirk with my pathfinder came up this weekend as well. Opened the moonroof and heard some terrible squeaking sound. When the moonroof goes back, the glass is scraping against some metal on the top of the car. It looks like its aluminum style tape that has sound dampening material under it. Nt exactly sure, but I am afraid to open the moonroof at the moment.
That can not be good. If you can replicate it I would bring it to the dealer asap. You don't want the bend anything that can't be fixed. (mount holes in the roof for tracks might strip or something along those lines)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure if related, but my gas gauge has been getting stuck on 1 and slowly as you drive it makes its way down to an accurate position. Don't know if it is a fuel tank issue or an instrument cluster/gauge issue. This started with about 5300 miles on the vehicle.

I'm taking it to dealer today to have the passenger seat airbag sensor fixed and will see what they say. I've seen at least one other post online on a different site about this same gas gauge problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure if related, but my gas gauge has been getting stuck on 1 and slowly as you drive it makes its way down to an accurate position. Don't know if it is a fuel tank issue or an instrument cluster/gauge issue. This started with about 5300 miles on the vehicle.

I'm taking it to dealer today to have the passenger seat airbag sensor fixed and will see what they say. I've seen at least one other post online on a different site about this same gas gauge problem.
Well, the dealer said the fuel system "is in perfect working order" and that they can't find anything wrong. They will let Nissan know and see if similar problems start popping up with other owners.

I have driven 160 miles on this current tank of gas and the gauge reads 3/4 full with 315 miles to go. I average about 19-20 mpg overall and never get more than about 375 miles on an entire tank. Something isn't right.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
how many miles does it show when you fill it up? Mine usually shows 410 miles to empty, except for this weekend when it showed me that I had 443 miles to empty. The needle starts moving when I get to around 320 miles to empty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I usually have about 380ish on my miles to go when I fill up and that is FULL. Needle goes to one, but this past week I went 160 mile before the needle moved and then is would only move SLOWLY (over 15-20min) to the actual fuel level (around 1/2-3/4 tank). This happened about 3-4 times in a row where the fuel level would start at "1" when I turn the car on and slowly travel down to the actual level. I don't know if something got stuck butI'll be curious to see what happens the next time I fill up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm having a very similar issue. Do any of you continuously park on a hill?

When I have about a half tank, and park on my driveway, which is a slight incline, I notice that the miles to empty and the gas gauge reset to full. The gas gauge eventually fixes itself after driving, but the miles to empty never does. It thinks I have a full tank even though I only have a half.

I consider this a safety issue, now my wife and I have to be very conscience on how much gas we really have, resetting the trip each time. Its difficult when we share the car and don't know the last time either one has refilled.

Some people say the MTE is not reliable, but I have this on my Accord, and it has never failed me, almost pinpoint accuracy, and never troubled on a hill.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm having a very similar issue. Do any of you continuously park on a hill?

When I have about a half tank, and park on my driveway, which is a slight incline, I notice that the miles to empty and the gas gauge reset to full. The gas gauge eventually fixes itself after driving, but the miles to empty never does. It thinks I have a full tank even though I only have a half.

I consider this a safety issue, now my wife and I have to be very conscience on how much gas we really have, resetting the trip each time. Its difficult when we share the car and don't know the last time either one has refilled.

Some people say the MTE is not reliable, but I have this on my Accord, and it has never failed me, almost pinpoint accuracy, and never troubled on a hill.
Yep. I noticed this while getting a new roof and parking in the street because of the construction dumpster. Parked on an incline. Exact same issue now that you mention it. Miles to empty never resets. It only reset after the dealer reset the nav computer by holding down the change screen button (like you do when filling up). This has got to be a fuel tank problem since the gauges shouldn't care about incline. Curious if more people will,start to notice this.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts