Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, my fuel efficiency has been getting worse of late. We do pretty much all city driving, lots of stop and go but this has always been the case. This vehicle is so bad on gas, we're getting 22-23 l/100 km (10-11 MPG) right now when it was in the 17-18 L/100km (13 MPG) range a few months ago (and that was with A/C). A full tank of gas is getting to just 300km and change these days. Is there something wrong? Tire pressure is fine, I changed the air filter back in the spring as well as new rear pads and discs in the spring as well. I do need to change the cabin filter but I can't see that having an effect. Yes, the dial is on 2WD.

Any thoughts? I only have just over 40,000 km on it, I've had the car since March 2017.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,576 Posts
That 's a lot. I get 14 l/100 on city driving, AC on and 4WD on Auto. Overdrive ON.
Many people have reported high fuel consumption, with no apparent reason or fix.
I can only suggest to evaluate is there is anything in the powertrain holding you up, how "free" does it feel when coasting down hill in neutral?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
14L/100 on city driving? Geez, I've never gotten that. How is that even possible? Now I'm really pissed. I don't even get 14 if I throw in a few highway drives within a fill up. I will do the downhill test and keep you posted. It's odd, fuel efficiency has always been bad but then I read posts like yours or see stats on Fuelly.com and I'm a **** outlier.

What do you keep your tire pressure at, do you use regular or supreme?

The one time I mentioned it to a salesman he pretty much laughed and said, "well yah, it's a heavy car"

Thanks for your feedback.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,576 Posts
I get about 10.5 l/100 km on the highway (401-flat) at about 120 km/hr.
I keep my tires around 35 psi. and always use 87 octane fuel.

Touch your wheels after some driving, if any are hotter than the others that could indicate a bad bearing/brake drag, but I doubt that is the root cause of your issue.

Have you done the math yourself between fill-ups? Liters in vs kms driven? If not, do it. Don't rely on the on-screen calculator until you've verified its accuracy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I get about 10.5 l/100 km on the highway (401-flat) at about 120 km/hr.
I keep my tires around 35 psi. and always use 87 octane fuel.

Touch your wheels after some driving, if any are hotter than the others that could indicate a bad bearing/brake drag, but I doubt that is the root cause of your issue.

Have you done the math yourself between fill-ups? Liters in vs kms driven? If not, do it. Don't rely on the on-screen calculator until you've verified its accuracy.
See, 10.5 on the highway is what I typically get, even under 10 if I keep it at about 110 km/h. I'm in Montreal and our syncing of lights is just brutal lately. I've done so little highway lately that I can't even compare. I'll keep an eye on it next time we get on the highway and if goes above 11 or 12 then there's something wrong.

Mine are at 35 too, I'll try the tire touch test.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
715 Posts
I know I had complained a bit about relatively poor fuel economy with our 2019 Pathfinder SV 4x4, but it had been some time since I checked the fuel economy stats per the dash. I never drive it because it's my wife's car and we have since put new all-season tires on it, which may have helped. Recently it's showing about 19 mpg average per the dash. I'm not sure how that compares to hand calculating it, but given the dash readouts never get reset, I'm figuring it's close.

19 mpg isn't horrible, but considering my 2019 Ram 1500 4x4 crew cab pickup w/ a ~400hp hemi V8 engine averages 20-21 mpg tank to tank without trying, the PF's 19 is king of ridiculous considering the CVT, the direct injection, etc. None of that means a thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish I could get 19 mpg, that's 12.3 l/100km, does your wife do a lot of highway driving? How is everyone else getting such good mileage? I don't get it.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
715 Posts
I wish I could get 19 mpg, that's 12.3 l/100km, does your wife do a lot of highway driving? How is everyone else getting such good mileage? I don't get it.
Oh I'm sure it will drop back down to 17mpg or less for the winter like it did last winter and again, this is per the dash. I've never calculated it by hand over a whole tank of fuel. We live in a somewhat rural area. Very little stop/go driving typically, but the pathfinder almost never has less than 3-4 people in it and my wife who drives like an old lady, is never steady on the go-pedal. Drives me nuts the odd time I drive with her.

I can get impressive fuel economy with my 80 mile round trip work commute because it's all highway. I've never used the PF for my commute.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd still take 17 MPG, It's been over 3 years, I accepted the crappy fuel efficiency I'm just trying to figure out why all of a sudden it's increased so much. I'll go speak to the Nissan service center and see if they have an idea.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I also get 12 l/100km on average with mixed Hwy(40%)/City(60%) driving. When I got my 2014 SL, the first couple of fill ups were disastrous - 20+l/100km and was lucky to get 300km on a full tank. Check engine light came on and I took the vehicle in to the dealer and diagnostics showed a faulty crankshaft sensor. After that was replaced, gas mileage improved significantly.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Last highway trip was 8.3l/100 kms with about the first 20 minutes being city driving. That is 28 US mpg; 34 Imperial mpg. We easily get 850 kms/tank. Even with all city it is 650+ kms/tank.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts