Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just have read many threads with people complaining that they are getting bad MPG readouts. I just I want to attempt to clear up the misinformation. The ONLY accurate way to get a measurement of actual MPG's on your vehicle is to:

1. Fill the vehicle all the way up.
2. Reset the Trip Indicator to 0 miles
3. Run your vehicle to what ever fuel level.
4. Refill the fuel and get the Gallons pumped.
5. Divide Miles on the trip indicator accrued from the Gallons pumped.

You cannot rely on the MPG indicators in the vehicle as those are AVERAGES and not actual totals.

Just my .02 cents to avoid having the misinformation out there.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The fact that they are averages is not why you can't count on them, the only reason not to trust them is the accuracy of the fuel metering capabilities of the car.

In order for the car to do the calculation it has to measure the fuel used and the miles traveled. Assuming the fuel used part is correct, those numbers are as good as any.

FWIW. I reset the MPG computer while already on the highway and after a 20 mile trip on flat ground, the MPG reading was 27.2. So that is the maximum MPG that I would ever expect to get.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I just have read many threads with people complaining that they are getting bad MPG readouts. I just I want to attempt to clear up the misinformation. The ONLY accurate way to get a measurement of actual MPG's on your vehicle is to:

1. Fill the vehicle all the way up.
2. Reset the Trip Indicator to 0 miles
3. Run your vehicle to what ever fuel level.
4. Refill the fuel and get the Gallons pumped.
5. Divide Miles on the trip indicator accrued from the Gallons pumped.

You cannot rely on the MPG indicators in the vehicle as those are AVERAGES and not actual totals.

Just my .02 cents to avoid having the misinformation out there.
Using that method for correct gas mileage numbers, what reading have you been getting? and compared to what the MPG indicator?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm only on my first tank of gas right now with the vehicle. When I refill next time I'll post the comparo.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The fact that they are averages is not why you can't count on them, the only reason not to trust them is the accuracy of the fuel metering capabilities of the car.

In order for the car to do the calculation it has to measure the fuel used and the miles traveled. Assuming the fuel used part is correct, those numbers are as good as any.

FWIW. I reset the MPG computer while already on the highway and after a 20 mile trip on flat ground, the MPG reading was 27.2. So that is the maximum MPG that I would ever expect to get.
Yes but it will never be accurate as measuring miles traveled divided by fuel used.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just pick up my 2013 pathfinder platinum premium this weekend and drove it about 300 miles :)

I dont kown why, but the MPG shown on my NAV screen is different than of the trip computer on the instrument cluster.

I got 24.8 on the nav screen
I got 28.2 on the trip computer on the instrument cluster

That is with the wife, me and my 3 year old in the car with a little bit of luggage. I drop in 2WD mode all the way; I did not attempt to drive it on Auto or 4WD.

Can someone tell me why they are different? Are there 2 trip computers + MPG calculators? Resting the one on the nav does not rest the one on the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just pick up my 2013 pathfinder platinum premium this weekend and drove it about 300 miles :)

I dont kown why, but the MPG shown on my NAV screen is different than of the trip computer on the instrument cluster.

I got 24.8 on the nav screen
I got 28.2 on the trip computer on the instrument cluster

That is with the wife, me and my 3 year old in the car with a little bit of luggage. I drop in 2WD mode all the way; I did not attempt to drive it on Auto or 4WD.

Can someone tell me why they are different? Are there 2 trip computers + MPG calculators? Resting the one on the nav does not rest the one on the instrument cluster.
Here are some images

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I could be wrong but....

1 of them reads between a set distance and keeps updating. For example, it shows the MPG for the last 400 miles. While the other shows the total from last reset.

·
Registered
56 Posts
they will both even out as you keep going, next fill up you can reset both at the same time they should be about the same

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok here are my results.

Ran the Pathfinder S from Full to empty (on the empty line) and took 18.25 Gallons (On a side note that means on the empty line or the Range starts blinking you have about 1.3 Gallons left.) with a 396 distance travelled. This equates to about 21.69 MPG.

My driving is mostly city and some highway, though in FL there isn't really city driving. I would say 80% FL city driving and 20% true Hwy.

The MPG gauge said I had achieved 23MPG avg. I do not have the Center gauge as I have an S trim.

Hopefully this improves with the age of the engine as this is the only 2nd tank of gas. I added.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just drove a whole day around NYC and scratch the good MPG! I was getting 13-16mpg with 95% stop, idle and go driving within the city.

This is on par with my Rx350 and slightly better than my MDX which gets 11-14mpg in similar conditions.

I noticed that when I drive with cruise is the only way to bump up the MPG. I guess I have a lead foot! Kidding aside, I really am not a speedster/aggressive driver as I have a child and wife in the car. :eek:

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
In stop and go traffic the mileage will be very poor. You should see your mileage get better as your mileage gets up to 10k and you change the oil.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I live in NYC. Traffic and light on every corner is a daily thing. They have to change this CITY/HWY statistics. It's totally wrong. I've drove 1000 miles in NYC past 3 weeks. Average MPG is 14.9. My previous vehicle was a GMC envoy. That got 12.6 MPG. My friend with a Honda Pilot gets 13.9 mpg. So I'm still pretty happy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just eclipsed 1000 miles, averaging a little over 21mpg. And yes, I am averaging it myself. Living in OK has its advantages sometimes- long flat highways and not many stoplights!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Just eclipsed 1000 miles, averaging a little over 21mpg. And yes, I am averaging it myself. Living in OK has its advantages sometimes- long flat highways and not many stoplights!
Yeah but 21 is not close to factory spec. Hopefully these will improve with mileage. Hopefully we won't find ourselves in the same situation as customers of Kia are.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah but 21 is not close to factory spec. Hopefully these will improve with mileage. Hopefully we won't find ourselves in the same situation as customers of Kia are.
It's close enough. Mine is 4wd, so the factory rating is 19/25, so 21mpg mixed driving is fine with me. Especially with my wifes heavy left foot. My old Trailblazer got around 14mpg, so massive improvement.

·
Registered
233 Posts
It's close enough. Mine is 4wd, so the factory rating is 19/25, so 21mpg mixed driving is fine with me. Especially with my wifes heavy left foot. My old Trailblazer got around 14mpg, so massive improvement.
Gotcha, I assumed the long flat highways implied your were getting 21 on the highway, not mixed. I've got 3K miles now and the mpg still hasn't improved. We're taking a long trip end of March so hopefully it will get better especially with rising gas prices.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just have issues with the city mpg and am really disapointed at this. I LOVE the highway mpg. I use cruise all the time (3 passengers), and I go get around 25-27mpg with it. This is way better than my Rx and Mdx. One of the reasons why I got the PF.
With the Rx, I get 21.7 MAX on the highway (full time AWD). The Mdx gets 20.5mpg on highways (Smart AWD)

I dont know why in OK with mostly flat driving and minimal stops would yeild 21. I would think it should be around 22-24mpg, unless you are doing lots if idling for the stops (like long red lights?).

I notice that when my PF idles, the mpg goes down like a count down!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Good question. I would say that my wifes route to her office is probably 50/50 highway and stop and go. I attribute the 21mpg to her heavier foot, in my estimation I might get as much as 23-24mpg. She doesn't sit in much rush hour traffic, but she does have to cross Norman, OK which is a college town with 18 million stoplights.

The last time I rode with her, I noticed she cruises on the interstate around 80mph. Like I said, I'm happy with the 21. Would I love to get another 2-3mpg, sure, but I'm not going to freak out about it. In my experience I have never owned a vehicle that got the mpg the factory states.

·
Registered
12 Posts
will it make any difference if I drove it on 2wd instead of auto mode? I've noticed that from a stand still going uphill the wheels are 80/20.

could that make a difference?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts