Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 SV
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
2018 Pathfinder owner here. We recently purchased an A frame travel trailer and would like to bring along a generator from time to time. The only reasonable spot to place it (outside the RV) would be on a front mount (bumper) rack. It seems that there are none made for model years after around 2011. Is anyone familiar with a product that would fit a 2018 by chance? Is this a known issue for later models? Generator weighs around 100lbs. Thanks!
P.S. tongue weight on rv is pretty decent so mounting behind PF wouldn't be ideal.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,412 Posts
Haven't seen anything for the front, check Australian websites, they do a lot of off-road camping there.
I added a custom hitch to the back of my pop-up to carry "something" on a hitch carrier. I compensate by adding more weight to the cargo box and keep the tongue weight in the 10-15% mark.
My pop-up has a "sturdy enough" frame.

Trailer Hitch.jpg

·
Registered
2018 SV
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I've been considering this as well. The bumper stands pretty far out from the frame on mine, so I'd have to consider some serious bracketing to support bounce. Australia is a good idea. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same issue. Looking for a way to put a hitch on my 2017 Pathfinder. If you found a source , please pass it on

·
Registered
287 Posts
I would not recommend a vehicle this large be towed from the front, I would put it on a trailer. The frame of the vehicle is based on a car frame. The hitch in the rear of the Pathfinder is connected to the body of the vehicle, sturdy. The front has a bunch of connected parts attached to the subframe or engine cradle, not a great idea. Pushing or pulling from the front end would likely result in damage to the front end because of the weight of the vehicle and design of the front end.

But hey, what do I know I'm just thinking out loud and this is all just a theory to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would not recommend a vehicle this large be towed from the front, I would put it on a trailer. The frame of the vehicle is based on a car frame. The hitch in the rear of the Pathfinder is connected to the body of the vehicle, sturdy. The front has a bunch of connected parts attached to the subframe or engine cradle, not a great idea. Pushing or pulling from the front end would likely result in damage to the front end because of the weight of the vehicle and design of the front end.

But hey, what do I know I'm just thinking out loud and this is all just a theory to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I do not want to tow the vehicle. I just want to mount a spare tire there so I can put a bike rack on the back of the camper instead of the spare.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I do not want to tow the vehicle. I just want to mount a spare tire there so I can put a bike rack on the back of the camper instead of the spare.
Put the bike rack on the roof then you don't want anything on the front end of this vehicle it does not have the frame for that kind of utility. There's a metric butt ton of roof accessories to get you what you are looking for, if not the hitch can be extended and a rack can be welded there. So vehicle would pull rack and the trailer would be attached to the rack, but there are limitations with that method, so I would recommend putting the bike rack on the roof.

But yes I'm sure if buy a cheap bull bar or "roo bar" as the Aussies call them, you can weld a rack of some sort to it. Unless this sort of thing exists but most people put them in the rear of the vehicle, which is why I was suggesting an extended hitch designed to tow a trailer and be long enough to support a rack in between the vehicle and the trailer, which of course would then give you more room on roof for more storage if you desire.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Put the bike rack on the roof then you don't want anything on the front end of this vehicle it does not have the frame for that kind of utility. There's a metric butt ton of roof accessories to get you what you are looking for, if not the hitch can be extended and a rack can be welded there. So vehicle would pull rack and the trailer would be attached to the rack, but there are limitations with that method, so I would recommend putting the bike rack on the roof.

But yes I'm sure if buy a cheap bull bar or "roo bar" as the Aussies call them, you can weld a rack of some sort to it. Unless this sort of thing exists but most people put them in the rear of the vehicle, which is why I was suggesting an extended hitch designed to tow a trailer and be long enough to support a rack in between the vehicle and the trailer, which of course would then give you more room on roof for more storage if you desire.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve carried bikes on roof racks for years. But YEARS is the problem. At 70 years old putting up and taking down bikes from roof racks is not good for these old bones and muscles. Putting the spare trailer tire on the roof rack is an option. I just wish there was a way to mount the 50 lb tire on a front hitch.

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,285 Posts
I don't know what kind of trailer you have, but from my participation on the Forest River forums, the back bumper of many trailers can't support a bike rack either. I generally end up transporting my 3 bikes inside of my 21' trailer. Another solution is something like this:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts