Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Pathfinder SL w/Premium Pkg
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time poster. Bought a (formerly) immaculate 2018 Pathfinder SL with Premium Package in November. 5k oil changes, dealer serviced, 24k miles. A couple of weeks age one of us scuffed the left front fender on a garage opening but with the light touch of a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and paste wax you'd never know about the injury. However, one of us again crunched the same spot only this time dislocating the fender, showing the gap along with paint damage in the attached photo. Can anyone tell me if I can just push this fender back together or do those slots line up with not-visible clips of some kind?

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
You can try to bang it in, but if the clips inside are broken then that won't work.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not looking forward to disassembling the whole front end just to get this lined up

·
Registered
6 Posts
Start with pressing back in opening closest to wheel and work your way up to the point it reaches the headlight.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
955 Posts
Unless things are horribly misaligned or broken, that should snap right back together. I've done quite a few such repairs over the years. Usually preceded by some prayer and fasting (kidding).

If you intend to own your 2018 long term, I'd be cautious with the 5K mile dealer oil change interval as well. If you read up on our particular engine (2017+ use the VQ35DD), there's posts here where owners had sludging issues even w/ 5K mile intervals. Our direct injected engines turn the oil very black, very quickly. It's a pain, but I don't go beyond 3500mi with my 2019 that I bought used in late 2019 as an ex-rental. I do oil changes myself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unless things are horribly misaligned or broken, that should snap right back together. I've done quite a few such repairs over the years. Usually preceded by some prayer and fasting (kidding).

If you intend to own your 2018 long term, I'd be cautious with the 5K mile dealer oil change interval as well. If you read up on our particular engine (2017+ use the VQ35DD), there's posts here where owners had sludging issues even w/ 5K mile intervals. Our direct injected engines turn the oil very black, very quickly. It's a pain, but I don't go beyond 3500mi with my 2019 that I bought used in late 2019 as an ex-rental. I do oil changes myself.
Thank you, Rf1 and poManzPathy, for the giving me the confidence to simply snap the 2 sides together and for the good advice all around. As you can see it worked out.
pf left frnt after.jpeg

·
Registered
242 Posts
Nice work. Both of our cars have this going on but the clips are all busted, so I'm out of luck. It looks like shyt too hanging off like that. Glad yours looks better now!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice work. Both of our cars have this going on but the clips are all busted, so I'm out of luck. It looks like shyt too hanging off like that. Glad yours looks better now!

Thanks Tutti57. I was able to press the lower piece rather than pound it and it fell into place. If you pull the wheel well liner away you'll see the one fastener (10mm) that prevents the lower piece from flopping around or hanging out. Since the tab on the fender was broken I used a large(r) washer, screwed it back on and it seems pretty tight. Hope you give it a try.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thanks, but mine is beyond that repair. The broken clips are critical and the plastic that the 10mm goes through is missing. Someone already tried using some wood screws or something to hold it up, but it doesn't. My cars are pretty beat up cosmetically, so it's ok. Thanks though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts