Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our PF didn't come with the fog lights. We are really disappointed with the performance of the headlights. Our 2011 subaru outback was much better in this respect. (Love everything else about thr Pf better though!)
For those of you with the fog lights does it make much difference with them on? I can get the kit for about $225 and was hoping someone could let me know if they are worth it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Our PF didn't come with the fog lights. We are really disappointed with the performance of the headlights. Our 2011 subaru outback was much better in this respect. (Love everything else about thr Pf better though!)
For those of you with the fog lights does it make much difference with them on? I can get the kit for about $225 and was hoping someone could let me know if they are worth it.

Thanks!
To me it only improves the lighting a few feet in front of the vehicle and to the sides.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Thanks!
I'm surprised you think the '11 Outback has better headlights. My parents own a 2011 and I have a '13 Pathfinder and find the PF's lights to have a lot better distance and width to the beam.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I won't drive it at night without them. To me, the difference is significant - you get a much more full range of vision with the fogs on.

Side note - we also own a 2010 Legacy (which I think has identical headlight assemblies to the Outback) and found the headlights disappointing. I installed the Subaru foglight kit and it made a world of difference.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. To Clarify.. With the Subaru I would always drive with the fog lights on.. I think maybe that's why it seemed like a downgrade in the PF. I ordered the official nissan kit off of eBay. I'll post how the installation goes. It includes a new column switch.

Brian

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Thanks for the input. To Clarify.. With the Subaru I would always drive with the fog lights on.. I think maybe that's why it seemed like a downgrade in the PF. I ordered the official nissan kit off of eBay. I'll post how the installation goes. It includes a new column switch.

Brian
OK, I think you'll be pleased with the result.

Having looked at the instructions, it appears to be a fairly simple install relative to others I've done (my 2005 Pilot being the worst - it actually required a bunch of cutting on the bumper and running a complete wiring harness). Luckily, like Subaru, it appears that Nissan has the wiring harness pre-installed, so you don't have to go through all that hassle.

Just a piece of advice - get yourself a nylon trim panel pry tool, like this one:

5 pc. No-Scratch Tools for Removing Fastener & Molding : Amazon.com : Automotive

They make a world of difference and won't mar the plastic panels, which is pretty easy to do with a screwdriver.

Also, the Nissan installation instructions are available here - this way you can get a feel for the install prior to actually doing it:

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/asistgc_1/diskdocs/1%5CT%5CU%5C1TU15.PDF

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I personally don't find fog lights to be that helpful with lighting. They are aimed very low and almost towards the ground directly in front of you. If you don't find the headlights to be that good and its an important issue to you, you can try upgrading the bulbs to better bulbs or you can take the hated step and get HIDs. If you want HIDs to actually have usable light get 4300k. Don't get anything past 5000k. Keep in mind you will be blinding everyone around you. If you have deeper pockets you can look into a professional projector retrofit with a D2S hid system.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Doing a pathfinder projector retrofit won't be cheap but well worth it if you really like the vehicle and plan on keeping it for a while.

A projector retrofit DIY would be nice but I doubt anyone is willing to take the risk to damage expensive headlights.

All I know is that this will happen, one day!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I took my Pathfinder out on a dark country road and tried the lights with and without the fog lights on.

The area right in front of the car is noticeably brighter but that's not where I was missing the light the most. The stock low beams just didn't light up the road very far.

I ended up going to Silverstar Ultras. That helped. I know they'll only last a year, but they're easy to replace.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am getting foglights for my S real soon with some headlight matching HIDS it will make the car look better and help a bit with lightning the road

·
Registered
186 Posts
The fog lights certainly improve the range of Vision. I did not think the stock Halogen lights were that bad but certainly wanted to improve them. I recently did install HID's on my Path and posted a detailed how to in this forum (HID Conversion on 13 Path Platinum) After installing these lights I have zero need for fog lights as the night is simply turned into day for about the same price as putting in fog lights.

A little more about the HID option, I would like to briefly say from direct experience that the design of Path Headlights lend themselves well to HID's and absolutely stay only with 4300K. I took into account all the great advice from forum members. I also went through great lenghts including enlisting the help of a Pro HID installer to assess the need for Projectors and at the end of the day it was not needed or worth it. I am not saying that Projectors would not improve performance because they would but just hard to imagine how much more or worth the cost. If something ever went wrong involving headlights it would take 20 minutes to remove the HID and pop in the stock Halogen bulbs back in prior to a dealer visit and that is one key advantage of keeping stock housing. I also was concerned about blinding other drivers but after looking at before/after light cutoff markings, bumper test to check aim, and even using another car to test how my lights look to oncoming traffic and those in front of me in the rearview mirror everything was surprisingly perfect after install with no adjustment necessary which frankly must be just dumb luck.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I was also disappointed with the performance of the headlights. My prius has prjectors and with the stock bulbs worked far better. I since upgraded to the Sylvania top of the lines bulbs and vision has improved 100% over stock bulbs and easy to replace.
I also did not like the look of the plastic covers on my SV, so I bought an OEM kit from a Nissan dealer on Ebay.
It was reasonably easy to install, all the wiring harnesses are pre-installed on the vehicle. My biggest fear was removing the covers over the steering to replace the non-fog light equipped stem. That too worked without a hitch but was a bit of a pain getting the plastic pieces to line up for reassembly.
Overall, I like the "upscale" look of having them vs plastic covers, and also replaced those stock bulbs with the same Sylvanias in my headlights.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have been pricing retrofits from professionals. With me supplying my headlights, It is around $1000+. Still find it hard to believe that the 13 PF didn't come with projectors. Retrofitting projectors in the fogs I would think would be cheaper.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am getting foglights for my S real soon with some headlight matching HIDS it will make the car look better and help a bit with lightning the road
I just got an S myself and wanted to add the fog lights. Is the wiring already there to just plug everything in or is there a whole other harness that the S needs?

·
Registered
28 Posts

Thanks!
The fog lamps' REAL job is to show you the edges of the road, the lane markings, and the immediate foreground during bad weather conditions such as dense fog, heavy rain, etc. The yellow'er the color (less than 4000k) the easier the beams can penetrate the road. If you live in an area that has constant foggy conditions or bad weather, than they can be useful. Trying to put brighter bulbs or HID's in them would defeat its real purpose and cause more glare in the fog. Other than that, they are cosmetic addons but as a resident pathfinder owner, they are great functioning fogs. I live in SoCal so I have no real use for them.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Is the wiring already there to just plug everything in or is there a whole other harness that the S needs?
Wiring is there, just plug in a 1' harness on each side and connect to each fog light. This is actually the easy part.

I ordered the official nissan kit off of eBay. I'll post how the installation goes. It includes a new column switch.
I did the same thing, and just installed yesterday. The instructions are clear enough, but there is VERY little room to work, especially on the driver side. The light mounts in a frame, and there are two clips and two screws to hold the frame in place. The screw holes do not line up perfectly, plus you can't really see if you don't have a lift, so this is done by feel. There also isn't enough room to get two hands in the space, so the same hand inserting the screw is also having to put pressure on the frame to align the holes by feel since you can't see.

It took me about 1 hour to get each of the four screws installed. Everything else was a breeze. But if you don't have a lift or an infinite amount of patience, I would highly recommend having someone else do the install.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The fog lamps' REAL job is to show you the edges of the road, the lane markings, and the immediate foreground during bad weather conditions such as dense fog, heavy rain, etc. The yellow'er the color (less than 4000k) the easier the beams can penetrate the road. If you live in an area that has constant foggy conditions or bad weather, than they can be useful. Trying to put brighter bulbs or HID's in them would defeat its real purpose and cause more glare in the fog. Other than that, they are cosmetic addons but as a resident pathfinder owner, they are great functioning fogs. I live in SoCal so I have no real use for them.
I use my mostly to bully the slugs driving the speed limit in the passing lane :D

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
You can get 4000k HID fog lights as well. Alot more light is thrown out there.

I've seen 3000k HIDs in fog lights before that did a great job at battling very thick fog.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts