Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I saw this headline today, my first thought was finally...some recognition for this CVT problem that many 2013 and 2014 Pathfinders owners are experiencing.
Unfortunately, as I read further, this article was talking about a faulty transmission line that could cause fluid leakage leading to transmission failure. There was not one mention of the juddering issue.
I'm wondering when the NHTSA is going to wake up recognize this CVT problem. :confused:

·
Registered
262 Posts
When I saw this headline today, my first thought was finally...some recognition for this CVT problem that many 2013 and 2014 Pathfinders owners are experiencing.
Unfortunately, as I read further, this article was talking about a faulty transmission line that could cause fluid leakage leading to transmission failure. There was not one mention of the juddering issue.
I'm wondering when the NHTSA is going to wake up recognize this CVT problem. :confused:

Well its possible this fluid leak is related to the Pathfinders judder. Tranny fluid is even more important to a CVT than a regular gear box so if the Pathfinder has a steady slow leak from the factory a problem can develop only a short time after taking ownership..

But the NHTSA wont get involved in the judder issue unless lives are at risk, right now it seems that is not the case, simply annoyance at the judder. From all the Judder threads I've read on here it seems the Pathfinders CVT is perfectly drive-able as is, so until someones CVT conks it at 80 mph on the highway there will be no NHTSA investigation into the Judder...

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
really are 2014 owners experiencing it?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But the NHTSA wont get involved in the judder issue unless lives are at risk, right now it seems that is not the case, simply annoyance at the judder. From all the Judder threads I've read on here it seems the Pathfinders CVT is perfectly drive-able as is, so until someones CVT conks it at 80 mph on the highway there will be no NHTSA investigation into the Judder...
Many who have experienced the judder have also said they've been left without any way to power the vehicle during the judder. This could lead to an accident situation in heavy traffic.
Other Pathfinder owners have indicated that when the judder ends, the car lurches forward without warning...another potential accident waiting to happen.
I think the NHTSA should be looking into this from a safety stand point.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
really are 2014 owners experiencing it?
Unfortunately, reports of this with 2014 Pathfinders are starting to roll in.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No way? Really... This is unbelievable... Do you have links to the reports I can seem to find them
Sorry to say but its true.
Here's an example from a member of this site named Islandboy71:

My 2014 with a build date of 7/13 and 350 miles had a slight shudder today. It happened during a left turn from a stop. I tried to duplicate it but was unsucessful. Will be defintely keeping an eye on this.:(

There are other similar reports from other Pathfinder sites

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
wow and to think i had hope in 2014 models, looks like we're better off waiting to get the all clear on when to proceed when some non-lemon Pathfinders become available.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I feel a recall coming on. No reports of accidents yet, but reports of a "sudden loss of power" seems like it will lead to a recall. What fun!

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Well didn't they say it was just a certain percentage of owners that are experiencing the problem. so until the numbers rise there wont be a recall.

·
Registered
262 Posts
CVTs by nature are designed for a narrower scope of operation than conventional geared trannys. CVTs work well for a long time inside small, low power cars. As they are put into larger, vehicles, especially those that are more likely to carry heavier loads, or even tow, the risks are higher (OH Hello Pathfinder).

And for those of you who think Nissan is responsible consider the Leaf. Nissan decided no active cooling system is necessary for the Leafs CVT because it can handle most conditions while keeping most of it's range for the time when most of the owners would drive it. Now how about customers who fit outside of the optimal parameters have useless cars. The number of useless Leafs will increase with time.

CVTs are not for trucks, CVTs are not for towing...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well didn't they say it was just a certain percentage of owners that are experiencing the problem. so until the numbers rise there wont be a recall.
You have to expect that if some people are experiencing the problem then more people will as well. It's never good when the Feds start investigating.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
CVTs by nature are designed for a narrower scope of operation than conventional geared trannys. CVTs work well for a long time inside small, low power cars. As they are put into larger, vehicles, especially those that are more likely to carry heavier loads, or even tow, the risks are higher (OH Hello Pathfinder).

And for those of you who think Nissan is responsible consider the Leaf. Nissan decided no active cooling system is necessary for the Leafs CVT because it can handle most conditions while keeping most of it's range for the time when most of the owners would drive it. Now how about customers who fit outside of the optimal parameters have useless cars. The number of useless Leafs will increase with time.

CVTs are not for trucks, CVTs are not for towing...
this is sort of my view with CVT as well.

And maybe why CVT might not have been a good idea in a car like the Pathfinder that some users would use for towing or off-roading.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't think Nissan is targeting the off-road crowd with the new Pathfinder. For that just go with Xterra, or with Armada if you need to tow. The new pathfinder is a mini-van alternative, and towing for it is kind of a small bonus. With five passengers+luggage its towing capacity is greatly diminished anyway.

As such, the CVT was used to achieve highest possible fuel economy, which is important for it to stand out among its competition.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Car died

I too am one of the bad 2013 Pathfinder Platinum owners. I took my vehicle in the day after I bought it with the shuddering.Took it back 2 more times until there was a recall. I have had all the recalls done and was told it was fixed. I drove home from a 6 hour trip yesterday and barely made it home. The CVT kept getting worse until it was bucking like a horse. When I pulled into the driveway the transmission was gone. No more reverse or drive.Had to be towed by Nissan.They did bring me a replacement vehicle but not a Pathfinder but a Rogue.:mad:

·
Registered
341 Posts
I too am one of the bad 2013 Pathfinder Platinum owners. I took my vehicle in the day after I bought it with the shuddering.Took it back 2 more times until there was a recall. I have had all the recalls done and was told it was fixed. I drove home from a 6 hour trip yesterday and barely made it home. The CVT kept getting worse until it was bucking like a horse. When I pulled into the driveway the transmission was gone. No more reverse or drive.Had to be towed by Nissan.They did bring me a replacement vehicle but not a Pathfinder but a Rogue.:mad:
I hate to say it, but I am at the point where I wish this would happen to my car. At least then Nissan would have to acknowledge that there is a problem with it. I just had mine at the dealer for them to evaluate it, again. Of course, it didn't shudder when they were driving it - it only shuddered on the WAY HOME :mad:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts