Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, can really use some help.

I am having the same problems as noted in this thread. I visited my dealer this morning to learn the part is over $1k plus labour and to add insult to injury, the part is on indefinite back order. There has got to be a better way to deal with this.

How can a piece of plastic be so expensive? I am at 87K km's on my Platinum and heading to the US the week after next and need my truck. I would rather fix it than ignore it.

From the noted thread SR20DEN suggests to unplug the offending fan and this seems reasonable for the time being. I can't locate the proper plug and would rather not guess. Any and all help is welcome!

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, I found the plug and unplugged the fan causing the problems. Wondering if replacing the bearings is an option?

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,412 Posts
Many of these fans have bushings. I encourage you to take it apart and let us all know, I'd even give you a hand if you were close.
If you are heading to the US, find out how much it is there, usually auto parts are x2.5 in Canada.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many of these fans have bushings. I encourage you to take it apart and let us all know, I'd even give you a hand if you were close.
If you are heading to the US, find out how much it is there, usually auto parts are x2.5 in Canada.
Thanks jman, I appreciate the offer. I'm in Pickering, Ont. I would love to tear this down and take a better look. I just might do that. My logical side says that I should be able to replace the fan motor at worst case.

To think a plastic assembly with two motors and a control unit is over $1K is maddening. I'm in manufacturing and imagine the wholesale cost for this is probably under $40.00 landed.

Definitely would think twice about buying another Nissan product after this.

For a $1000 part i would go rent a pathfinder, and do a switch-a-roo on the fan
:sFun_drool2:
This never would have crossed my mind. :sFun_rofl: You Aussie's are a devious bunch aren't you.

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,285 Posts
To think a plastic assembly with two motors and a control unit is over $1K is maddening. I'm in manufacturing and imagine the wholesale cost for this is probably under $40.00 landed.

Definitely would think twice about buying another Nissan product after this.
Never consider ever buying a Bimmer then either. ;)

Reactions: TejasMtnBiker

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,412 Posts
Thanks jman, I appreciate the offer. I'm in Pickering, Ont.
I'm in London, a bit too far maybe but the offer stands.

You might want to consider a used part, LKQ has two in Canada in other provinces but you could ask how much it would be for them to ship it.

Also, not sure where are you going in the US, there are some in MI and PA, as low as $250 US (see attachment).

A friend of mine had a Mercedes with a faulty air bag classification sensor, he said he was quoted more than 3k to replace it. Each brand has their own ridiculous overpriced parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks jman. I reached out to Mitch's Auto Parts. I will be in Novi, Michigan and will be going through Detroit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update! All I can say is WOW!!!

My service dealer let me down on my last service and I mentioned it to them. They, along with Nissan Canada, have just offered this replacement to me as a goodwill gesture.

I am literally blown away by this offering! I spent part of the weekend researching ways to fix this in a manner that wouldn't hurt as badly financially AND looking at ways to get out of this truck.

Kudo's Morningside Nissan and Nissan Canada!

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
So how do you feel about it now? Have they earned your loyalty back, at least for the time being?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So how do you feel about it now? Have they earned your loyalty back, at least for the time being?
This gesture does have an impact on how I perceive the dealer, for sure. My last visit was really offside.

I feel they are going the extra mile to help me out in this case. When it all sorts out, I'll let you know how it sits with me.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I gotta wonder if a recall is coming on these fans. There are a few folks I know with the same issue. Good luck in unloading it before something else goes SOL.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I haven't been on in a while and this caught my eye. I just had to have mine replaced about a month ago... I was painful.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I gotta wonder if a recall is coming on these fans. There are a few folks I know with the same issue. Good luck in unloading it before something else goes SOL.
How does a recall get generated? Is it something the owners have any say in?

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
How does a recall get generated? Is it something the owners have any say in?
Generally when enough consumers complain about an issue to their country's transportation authority, pressure is put on the company involved to do something about it, especially if deaths occur as a result of the issue.

• In the U.S., that authority is the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
  • In Canada, it's the Transportation Safety Board of Canada (TSB) - ironic acronym
  • In Australia it's the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As I mentioned earlier, I was fortunate enough to have the dealer replace this at no charge. This was done earlier this week and went off without a hitch.

I was urged to fill out the customer service survey which is what I did when I was put off by my last visit. The dealer absolutely did right by me on this. If anything, they really went above the call of duty. Their new service manager has a great deal of experience in the field and it clearly showed.

I consider myself lucky in this event!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nissan must have a big problem on their hands. I have a 15 Pathfinder with 58,000 miles. The right cooling fan started making noise a couple of weeks ago. Took it to Crown Nissan in Decatur IL and was told it would cost about $975 for parts and labor. The fan assembly was backordered and would take about 10 days to get. Service manage told me the A/C lines had to be disconnected as a part of the replacement process. I came home and got on YouTube and saw a fellow do it without fiddling with the A/C lines. I went to the Rock Auto web site and ordered a 4 seasons brand fan assembly. It cost a little less than $400 delivered to my door in about 3 days. It took about 1 1/2 hours for me to replace the assembly myself. I then pulled out the defective motor out of the fan assembly. The rear bushing was worn out. I am looking for a bushing to fix the old motor. If you take the motor apart, DON'T take the magnets out. The spring spacer clips are a real bear to get back in. Also, don't try to drive the rotor out of the front ball bearing, the shaft will move within the rotor. Another tidbit: the nut holding the fan on the motor shaft is left hand threaded (backwards).
With the other problems I have had with the Pathfinder - brake master cylinder, transfer case leak, recall on the oxygen sensor - not sure that I would buy another one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My 2014 with 60K kilometers just started making this noise. Came to the forum to find the answer and, like always, I'm not alone in this.

Haven't gone to the dealer just yet. I was hoping for a cheaper fix but apparently that will not be the case. *sigh*

I guess I'll order the part online and drive around with one fan turned off for a while...

For anyone else with this problem, the old OEM part number of the fan assembly was 21481-3JA0E but it has been superseded to 21481-3JA2E. In some places if you look for the old part number it shows it is back ordered indefinitely but if you look for the new part number there's more availability.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts