Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were driving down the freeway today at about 70 mph with a cross-wind of about 30 mph when we heard a metallic rattling/vibration sound a few times (lasted 5-10 seconds). We have had the vehicle since January and it has never done this before. When we got home I checked to see if there was anything obvious that was loose and couldn't find anything. The noise sounded like it was coming from the passenger side and slightly towards the rear. Any ideas? Has anyone else had this issue? If I take it to the dealer, do they have any way of replicating it without waiting for a windy day?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Funny you mention that. We were on the highway at about 75 a cross wind this weekend, and I felt a vibration under my right foot. Have to believe there is a heat shield or something that the wind is catching.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now that you mention a heat shield.... it does sound a lot like an issue i had several years ago with a loose heat shield over the catalytic converter.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Sure sounds like the Catalytic Converter heat shield. You would have to jack the car up just to get to the heat shield but being a new car just take it to the dealership and let them know there's a good possibility the heat shield could be loose and rattling. and keep us posted on it

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine too..

Had a loaner Pathfinder for a month waiting on our new vehicle. Every time we pass a Semi on the interstate it rattles..sounds like the metal vibration on the heat shield to me.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Had a loaner Pathfinder for a month waiting on our new vehicle. Every time we pass a Semi on the interstate it rattles..sounds like the metal vibration on the heat shield to me.
After owning a wide range of vehicles, some really old and even new, i know it's the heat shield like mentioned above.

For anyone willing to fix the problem themselves there's always DIY's like this:

DIY: Repairing an Exhaust Heat Shield Rattle

DIY: Repairing an Exhaust Heat Shield Rattle - YouTube

·
Registered
215 Posts
After owning a wide range of vehicles, some really old and even new, i know it's the heat shield like mentioned above.

For anyone willing to fix the problem themselves there's always DIY's like this:

DIY: Repairing an Exhaust Heat Shield Rattle

DIY: Repairing an Exhaust Heat Shield Rattle - YouTube
You know this for a fact because you have a 2013 nissan pathfinder and have observed the heat shield moving or making noise on the road? Or are you making an assumption and just posting so you can hear yourself talk? People take your new pathfinders that are UNDER WARRANTY and go get them checked out for free!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will definitely be taking mine to the dealership. Wanted to get input here first so i might be able to point them in a certain direction given the issue may be difficult to reproduce.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The dealership couldn't replicate because it wasn't a windy day when i brought it in. It also doesn't do it much around the city, but we drive from Minnesota to Oklahoma twice a year and it always does it on that trip (out in the open with lots of wind). Can't the dealer use a high power fan or something else to replicate? I took a recording of the sound if anyone wants to hear for themselves and confirm they have the same issue.

Since i couldn't attach a sound file, i uploaded to YouTube...
pathfinder - YouTube

·
Administrator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,773 Posts
Your YouTube audio sounded like something rattling. The crossbars on the roof rack perhaps?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't have crossbars. It only seems to happen on the passenger side. Sounds like its coming from either the heat shield or the black plastic trim piece that runs the length of the doors. If it were that piece though, i would think i would hear it on the driver's side as well since they both feel a little loose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been having similar noises that was noticed on our last 1200 mile trip. Highway speed and mostly occurring when following or near other vehicles where wind buffeting come into play. Mine seems to be coming from the Drivers side though, door, fender or firewall area.... sooooooooo annoying. Ours is a new 2014 SL 4x4 and did not notice this until we took our first trip... 2400 miles only on the vehicle so this is perplexing to say the least. I also notice the hood vibrating a lot.... sigh, I sure hope this is a quick fix and not heading in the direction of the lemon-law arena.

·
Registered
1 Posts
"Dealer found that exhaust shield was rubbing against frame."

Did the dealer's fix solve the problem? We have the exact same sound under the same circumstances.

Our dealer is reluctant to fix things I can't reproduce, and assuming I can, I'd like to point them in a specific direction.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the exact same issue in freeway conditions coming from the Drivers side around the door, fender or firewall area. After some trial and error here is what I found. Under the hood there is a plastic shield over the radiator. Each end of the shield extended past the radiator like ears. On the drivers side that end would come in contact with the headlight casing. I used metal shears to trim the plastic about a quarter to half inch so it would not come in contact with the headlight casing. Fixed it!!!! Good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am experiencing a rattle buffeting sound from passenger side. Sounds like it is right rear passenger door area. I have read about heat shield but right side rear passenger door makes me think its under the car on that side. Not hearing anything from driver side. All mud flaps are intact. Last night I thought I had it figured out as the plastic pieces running along the top of the car. If you tap on the end of those you will notice a tapping noise. I added some rubber pieces to soften the movement and this morning I still heard the noise. Heeelllp!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts