Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I just bought an SL 4x4 and I was wondering if anyone has purchased the Nissan extended warranty or service plan.

If so, what are your thoughts on it. I'm undecided on whether its worth the extra money.

Oh, and if its not too personal, what did you pay? I have been shopping the local dealerships and some are as much as $1200 apart on the same extended warranty. The service plans are pretty close.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I purchased the Nissan gold preferred 6yr 100k 0 deductible and paid $1100 for it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
we bought the 10 year 120,000 mile for $1700, I got them to go down $400. I could have gotten a cheaper policy elsewhere, but I liked that it is $0 deductible and directly from the dealer. You dont always know the quality of other plans and if they will cover what you need...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, are those the warranty or the service agreements?

Regardless, sounds like you 2 did well for yourselves.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I bought mine from a dealer in Alabama. I live in Pennsylvania but searched online and called many Nissan dealers to find the best deal. Send me a private msg and I will give you the contact info who I dealt with. It honestly took a ten min call and we completed it over the phone.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Also, most places you can buy any time before the 3 yr / 36,000 mile warranty is up.
Good to know. I leased mine and skipped the warranty, but this is one of the first times I would consider buying at the end.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, most places you can buy any time before the 3 yr / 36,000 mile warranty is up.
That is more than likely what I am going to do.

The problem I have is that, whether it be the service plan or the warranty, I will time out long before I mileage out. This is going to be the family truckster, mainly driven by my wife, and she might see 8-9k miles annually. Most of the warranty's expire before the PF will even see 50k miles.

On another note, I spoke with the service department at the dealer, and they recommend service every 3 months regardless of mileage. I kind of find that to be silly. One 3 month stretch during the early summer she only drove 1200 miles. You're telling me I still need to come in and have it serviced? They said they didn't believe it would affect the warranty as long as the service was performed at Nissan to go a little longer. Still pretty silly in my opinion.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That is more than likely what I am going to do.

The problem I have is that, whether it be the service plan or the warranty, I will time out long before I mileage out. This is going to be the family truckster, mainly driven by my wife, and she might see 8-9k miles annually. Most of the warranty's expire before the PF will even see 50k miles.

On another note, I spoke with the service department at the dealer, and they recommend service every 3 months regardless of mileage. I kind of find that to be silly. One 3 month stretch during the early summer she only drove 1200 miles. You're telling me I still need to come in and have it serviced? They said they didn't believe it would affect the warranty as long as the service was performed at Nissan to go a little longer. Still pretty silly in my opinion.
As for servicing your 2013 pathfinder, I would go off of mileage rather than time, that way at least it's much more accurate and by the maintenance schedule.

inbetween servicing, it's best to check the fluids, making sure they're at the levels they should be.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is what I have always done with her vehicles. There was one year when my kids were smaller, and we lived closer to her office, that she drove 5200 miles total.

She drives it often, just not that far.

I check fluid levels often. The last time I purchased a new vehicle was 2005, and the last time I purchased a vehicle of any kind was 2007 (1990 Mustang, weekend toy). I buy cars and hang onto them, drive them till the wheels fall off. You have to properly maintain them to do that. I just don't want to void the warranty by servicing it based on mileage versus time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That is what I have always done with her vehicles. There was one year when my kids were smaller, and we lived closer to her office, that she drove 5200 miles total.

She drives it often, just not that far.

I check fluid levels often. The last time I purchased a new vehicle was 2005, and the last time I purchased a vehicle of any kind was 2007 (1990 Mustang, weekend toy). I buy cars and hang onto them, drive them till the wheels fall off. You have to properly maintain them to do that. I just don't want to void the warranty by servicing it based on mileage versus time.
I guess as long as your servicing the vehicle at the right times, there shouldn't be a problem at all. I've even read of cases where people services their vehicle before the set servicing periods and the dealership didn't mind it at all.

Sticking with servicing it by mileage over time is better.

I think the whole thing with fluids, like engine oil is if they sit around for too long, even in a vehicle that hasn't been driving around too much, gunk can build up.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I think I got the worst deal. Extd warranty for 7 years or 75,000 miles for $2,000. I did not know I can negotiate.. Too late now.. :( so sad

0 deductable if I go back to my dealer. Or a blind 100$ if I go to any other dealer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I got the worst deal. Extd warranty for 7 years or 75,000 miles for $2,000. I did not know I can negotiate.. Too late now.. :( so sad

0 deductable if I go back to my dealer. Or a blind 100$ if I go to any other dealer.
Well, that really isn't that bad. My dealer experience was excellent up until I got to financing because of all that. They wanted to sell me that exact warranty for $3,200. Yea. I got a call from one of their customer service people, had nothing but praise for the sales team, but I found it disturbing that the dealership would work to get customers to pay that much simply because some may not know any better.

I ended up with 8 years/84k miles for $1,100.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
It's the dealer job to sell warranty to you. They can get in trouble for not trying. It's part of the process.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's the dealer job to sell warranty to you. They can get in trouble for not trying. It's part of the process.

I understand that it's their job to sell the warranty to me. When I told them the research I had done and what I would pay they didn't even bat an eye before they agreed to it. But how many people are willing to do the research? Using their warranty pricing as a guideline, if extended to vehicle purchases, they would be selling Pathfinders for $70k.

I felt that they were trying to take advantage of an uninformed consumer. I didn't appreciate it. That's all. I know it's their job to make as much money off of me as they can.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought my PF at the dealer and they tried to sell me around $5k worth of extras. I declined all of them and the dealer even let me google a price for the Nissan Gold Preferred warranty and I found a dealer in MA that sold a 96 month 120k mile warranty for around $1800-1900 no deductible at any Nissan dealer. It is a Nissan product and they can see your warranty by the VIN.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I felt that they were trying to take advantage of an uninformed consumer. I didn't appreciate it. That's all. I know it's their job to make as much money off of me as they can.

Welcome to the dreaded back room. Most F & I guys ( or ladies) make more money than the General Manager. Unscrupulously selling everything from window etching to rustproofing to anyone that can't say no. So important to do your home work.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts