Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
i responded to the original post with my same issue. I purchased a Certified 2015 Nissan Pathfinder S about 3 weeks ago.... So heres my update after 2 trips back to dealer..... the blower motor was replaced first on a Friday and on Monday it was back to its usual self of not pushing air out vents at times. I never thought it was the blower motor as like i previously described bc if i turn up the speed, you can hear the blower motor accelerating as well. So took it back and left for a few days and much to my liking a few of the mechanics that stood with the truck overnight to experience the issue bc it’s very spontaneous wen it happens and at times would be working normal.... each of them were able to duplicate my issue. The 1 even experienced it in 1 of these cold mornings and therefor definetly felt for my frustrations as she herself had to drive in the cold to work.... so they determine it was the HEATER BOX that was getting clogged up.... now i just got this truck back this Friday and has been working fine but just like the replaced blower motor.., i have to keep driving it and hoping NOT to experience the issue again. as been the case, wen it’s working it’s working like it should be and u wouldn’t know any issues and this is before any of the replacements pcs.... so at this point I’m fine. It’s only been 2 days tho but the mechanics at Kelly Nissan were more the certain that the HEATER BOX was the culprit... i would like to add the entire staff at Kelly Nissan was generously great and attentive to get this issue fixed for me as i just got this “certified” 2015 Nissan Pathfinder 3 wks ago.... i will provide another update later on if everything is still going good and hopefully not the latter.... hopefully this helps some of you.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Update.... after 2 days still not working and back at dealership. The mechanics ended up calling Nissan directly to inquire what could cause such issue. They responded to change the AIR CONDITIONER AMPLIFIER. So that’s where we are at now.... that will he changed today, Saturday, and they will be staying with truck for few more days to make sure everything is perfect. Will update later.
Once again - blower motor was exchanged. Still malfunctioned.
Heater box was exchanged. Still malfunctioned.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Update.... after 2 days still not working and back at dealership. The mechanics ended up calling Nissan directly to inquire what could cause such issue. They responded to change the AIR CONDITIONER AMPLIFIER. So that’s where we are at now.... that will he changed today, Saturday, and they will be staying with truck for few more days to make sure everything is perfect. Will update later.
Once again - blower motor was exchanged. Still malfunctioned.
Heater box was exchanged. Still malfunctioned.
Looking forward to your updates. I have a 2015 Pathfinder and ever since I had the AC compressor replaced last year, no one has been able to figure this out. The original guy who replaced the compressor could not replicate the problem so he told the garage that hired him to screw off because there was nothing done. Dealership could not figure it out. In the summer, we could get AC when the Recirculate button was set. Heat seems to work whenever it feels like it. So darn frustrating. I also noticed that this intermittant heat only seems to happen when the outside temperature is between +8/9C and -5C. When it was colder than -5C, thankfully the heat always worked. I hope it gets figured out soon.

·
Registered
181 Posts
This isn't necessarily helping the situation, but I've poked around the pages in the online service manual for our pathfinder's HVAC system trying to make heads/tails of it. Unless I'm not reading it correctly, is there really a blower in the dash, a blower in the center console AND one in the rear of the vehicle for the rear HVAC? 3 total? What an albatross if that's the case. Big azz minivans don't use as many.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Soooooo STILL NOT WORKING.... let’s just get that out they way.... after the AC AMPLIFIER was exchanged the ac/heater unit was still malfunctioning.... Nissan told me they had an Engineer there and suggested to change the ac pipes because they can be getting frozen which would block the air flow from vents at time.... this was my last convo with them on Tuesday, 11/26..... i highly doubt it is the pipe getting frozen because at times, it’s not working right away in the morning when i first start up the car and doesn’t have a chance to get frozen.... i don’t know, I’m not the expert just my thought..... i have only had this Pathfinder for 1 month... and I think i am at a point where i am going to try and get this vehicle exchange..... funny thing is the service dept told me hold off on that because they can fix anything... which i appreciate the effort i surely do but I’m the one that is paying for this car, before i made my first payment it was in the shop 3 times.... I’ll provide another update after the pipe gets exchanged and see where we at.... but not looking good.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looking forward to your updates. I have a 2015 Pathfinder and ever since I had the AC compressor replaced last year, no one has been able to figure this out. The original guy who replaced the compressor could not replicate the problem so he told the garage that hired him to screw off because there was nothing done. Dealership could not figure it out. In the summer, we could get AC when the Recirculate button was set. Heat seems to work whenever it feels like it. So darn frustrating. I also noticed that this intermittant heat only seems to happen when the outside temperature is between +8/9C and -5C. When it was colder than -5C, thankfully the heat always worked. I hope it gets figured out soon.
So after the compressor if still malfunctioned? because thats what they are doing next.... and that is final attempt better going to deal an exchange for another vehicle

·
Registered
7 Posts
Still not working after pipes/valves were changed. Now they have been told to replace the compressor.... after this next attempt if not working.... I’m done..... on to something else.... changing cars....

·
Registered
181 Posts
I feel for you. Its unbelievable to me that a Nissan service department who is or has apparently worked with Nissan directly on this STILL can't figure out the HVAC system.

It's not rocket science. You'd like to think they've pulled wiring diagrams and at a minimum, used a diagnostic computer to actuate and cycle each blend door and HVAC component to verify everything is moving like it should.

You hate to take a loss, but I'd be done with that vehicle too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hi folks. Here is an update to my situation that started this whole post. After a number of trips to the dealership and additional troubleshooting on my own i have established that the airflow blockage is being caused by the AC evaporator coil freezing up and completely blocking the airflow through the airbox. For some unknown reason the AC compressor is turning on sporadically when in heating mode and does not turn off. This causing the ice-up. I can correct this by pulling "a/c con" fuse. Within a few minutes the ice melts and airflow returns to normal. Looking back now to this past summer I now realize this was happening occasionally in the heat of summer too. The issue now is to determine why the ac is sporadically turning on and why it continues until the evaporator is completely blocked with ice. Hope this information helps some of you having similar issues. If you want to check, look at your compressor. The lines will all be frosted up and the compressor will be running even though you did not select it on. I will update when I have more info and hopefully have this repaired.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Good update!!

Thing is- The a/c compressor runs any time any defrost mode is selected and may run to dry the air when the HVAC system is set to "auto mode". The only time the a/c system is locked out completely is when the ambient air temp is low. Usually under the mid 40F range. There's temperature and refrigerant pressure sensors that are supposed to shut off the A/C system to prevent evap core freezing. If this is indeed the problem. It's unbelievable to me they didn't check for that before all this was done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Well, with an intermittent problem it's been tough to get the mechanic looking at the car when the fault is actually happening. The dealership did use the consult diagnostic computer and advised me yesterday that the ac was turning on when it shouldn't. They want to replace the evaporator (about $2000) as the next step. I'm doubtful that will correct the issue. Today the tempature outdoors was well below freezing, the system was in manual and was not on defrost. The after 5 hours of highway driving with everything normal the ac somehow came on. The lines from the compressor were completely coated with frost when we stopped to check and the compressor was running. When I pulled the ac fuse everything melted and after a few minutes airflow went back to normal for the remainder of the trip. Is there an ac power relay that sends power to the magnetic clutch on the compressor? I figure if this is failing intermittently it could be engaging the ac in an unregulated fashion and frosting up the evaporator. Pulling the fuse would disengage the solenoid and force the ac to turn off. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Thanks jman. I will check the freon level to make sure that's correct before proceeding any further.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If it is the amount of refrigerant being the issue, apparently the level was off in the very beginning and during the multiple times they had to evacuate and recharge the system after all the parts they thew at it.

·
Super Moderator
2,010 Posts
Going back and looking at the diagram posted in Post #15, 100% of the cabin air goes through the AC evaporator, regardless of the position of any of the dampers. The heater core comes after and air can be diverted from it.
So it makes total sense that if the evaporator freezes, the air flow will be affected.
Now, this should not happen if heat is selected when none of the defrost options are in use. Try it when using the dash, dash/feet or feet modes.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts