Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. I'm new to the forum. We are having an issue with erratic blower air volume output on our 2015 Pathfinder SV. On initially starting, HVAC system works normally in both a/c and heating modes. After a period of time from minutes to hours, air volume output from all vents will quickly reduce to almost nothing with no real change in blower motor sound. Reduced air flow affects aĺl vent modes, recirc and fresh air, as well as dual and single modes. Blower appears to run appropriate to blower setting, just no airflow from vents. Output from rear passenger system similarly affected. Nissan mechanic has spent hours trying to diagnose. Cabin filter replaced, intakes checked for obstructions and blower motor removed and checked. Malfuntion will continue until car is turned off and allowed to sit for a long period. (Of note, issue first appeared some weeks after repair work completed for large stone impact to underside which caused significant damage to frame, oil pan, a/c leak, drive train etc.) Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It appears to happen in all modes, both auto and manual. Also both in heat and air conditioning modes.

·
Super Moderator
2,010 Posts
It has to be related to the air damper, not sure why it is doing it but the fact that it resets could mean a fault in whatever module regulates that. Could it be lose from the impact? Some systems reset when you re-start the car so maybe the damper goes back to its position and then it slowly falls with vibration. A long shot but it might be worth checking the linkage between the motor and damper.

You said there was work done to the AC, did they replace the evaporator? If so, most likely they didn't connect something back properly. Who did the work?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jman thank you so much for your for your information. We were also thinking the jarring from the accident may have knocked something out of alignment. The Nissan certified mechanic removed the blower motor and found things were good in that regard. I'm not certain what was replaced in the a/c system but I will check with him if it was the evaporator and also that rechecking the linkage between the motor and damper would be worth a shot. I will post again as soon as I hear back from the mechanic.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm not saying it's not the problem, but the #5 "distribution module" looks like just a housing for the blower. #6 being an intake door motor kind of makes more sense to me if that is causing an intake damper to close off, choking off the air supply to the whole system, regardless of fan speed or vent setting.

·
Super Moderator
2,010 Posts
I'm not saying it's not the problem, but the #5 "distribution module" looks like just a housing for the blower. #6 being an intake door motor kind of makes more sense to me if that is causing an intake damper to close off, choking off the air supply to the whole system, regardless of fan speed or vent setting.
Yes, but if there is a damper (driven by motor 6) it should be inside 5. Any linkage would be within those two.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi folks. I'm new to the forum. We are having an issue with erratic blower air volume output on our 2015 Pathfinder SV. On initially starting, HVAC system works normally in both a/c and heating modes. After a period of time from minutes to hours, air volume output from all vents will quickly reduce to almost nothing with no real change in blower motor sound. Reduced air flow affects aĺl vent modes, recirc and fresh air, as well as dual and single modes. Blower appears to run appropriate to blower setting, just no airflow from vents. Output from rear passenger system similarly affected. Nissan mechanic has spent hours trying to diagnose. Cabin filter replaced, intakes checked for obstructions and blower motor removed and checked. Malfuntion will continue until car is turned off and allowed to sit for a long period. (Of note, issue first appeared some weeks after repair work completed for large stone impact to underside which caused significant damage to frame, oil pan, a/c leak, drive train etc.) Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

I just got a 2015 Nissan Pathfinder this past week 10/19/19 and i have been noticing the same exact issue.... even when i drove off the lot i began getting the same issue where the air vents are not pushing much air out. When i turn to the highest speed, you can hear the dashboard operating at a high speed but little to no air is coming from the vents. Sometimes all of a sudden it does come back but most time it’s very feint air coming out. I was going to take it back to dealer the next day but i thought it was because it was in auto that it wasn’t changing the speed but nope still experiencing same issues i am going to go back to dealer cuz i hardly find this normal..... have you got your issue fix? If so, what was the problem? Please let me know....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just got a 2015 Nissan Pathfinder this past week 10/19/19 and i have been noticing the same exact issue.... even when i drove off the lot i began getting the same issue where the air vents are not pushing much air out. When i turn to the highest speed, you can hear the dashboard operating at a high speed but little to no air is coming from the vents. Sometimes all of a sudden it does come back but most time it’s very feint air coming out. I was going to take it back to dealer the next day but i thought it was because it was in auto that it wasn’t changing the speed but nope still experiencing same issues i am going to go back to dealer cuz i hardly find this normal..... have you got your issue fix? If so, what was the problem? Please let me know....
This is my post.. txt me for updates please 484-866-163ZERO

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not fixed yet. Today air still blasted out with nice heat for about 5 to 10 minutes then quickly airflow from vents reduced to nothing but a dribble. I was not in auto mode and temp was set at 25 c so heat still should have been blasting out. I could still adjust the fan speed and hear it change sound but just no airflow. Tried changing to defrost and floor vent but no change. It was a cold 2 hour drive as a result. I will let you k now if I find a solution. And please let me know if the dealer comes up with a fix for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The diagram I looked at seemed to show the the blocker door will cover the fresh air intake or the recirculation intake but could not cover both at the same time. As a result I figured you could always get air coming into the blower fan from somewhere. Am I wrong about that? It sure does seem that the air is getting blocked off somehow though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is it the air mix door in this diagram you are referring to? it does not appear to be capable of blocking off the airflow completely as it is only large enough to block half the air passage at any one time.
Screenshot_20191028-072353.png
S it

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
It's like a pinball machine from hell.

The way I read that diagram, it could be any of those blend doors 7-10. If their actuator motors, shafts or stops are broken, they're not going to stay where they're supposed to.

What makes this more challenging is the fact it's intermittent. I believe advanced code scanners can tap into the HVAC system and you can manually control the blend doors, etc. Problem is, finding a mechanic like Eric O from South Main Auto on youtube that would actually take a few minutes and troubleshoot that for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pinball hell describes it well. In my case the fact that, as soon as this intermittent situation happens, airflow ceases to come out of any of these outlets, not just one. If it was a linkage issue I can't see how it would effect all blend doors. I'm leaning toward something electronic. I expect I am going to have to take it to the dealership and have them use the CONSULT Self-diagostic equipment. Hopefully that might find something.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just for troubleshooting purposes, have you tried removing the cabin air filter and running without it to see if the problem persists? You're not going to harm anything by doing that aside from needing a new CAF. I tend not to be able to remove Nissan CAFs without tearing them.

I have to admit, I don't fully understand the pinball machine diagram above. For instance, no damper door ever blocks the rear foot vents. I don't get what 10 does either.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts