Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this job themselves ?

Looks fairly straightforward disconnecting / removing / replacing / re-assembling, however there are no video's on youtube regarding the details of this job that I can find, and the 2013 shop manual (or at least the electronic one I have) doesn't seem to cover it for this year.

I have specific questions on what to do once it's all connected back up -

Is the electrics / computer hook up straight forward or does anything need reset ?

Does it need primed / how do you prime if it does ? or is just fill it an turn steering back and forward with cap off till air is out like on my boat?

How much fluid does it take - see lots of debate / power steering low on dipstick discussions so obviously want to make sure I get correct amount.

I fully understand to use the Nissan fluid - Any other advice on the job ?

Thanks in advance as I'd like to get this back on the road as soon as practically possible with the right knowledge !

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,522 Posts
and the 2013 shop manual (or at least the electronic one I have) doesn't seem to cover it for this year.
Wierd... here it is, you might want to download a copy.
Start at page ST-51, everything you are asking is there.

Calls for removing the AC lines... yikes, not something I'd like to do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks jman

It says fitting is reverse of removal but no mention of recharging AC - does this imply it's just disconnect the mounting lines from pump housing so they float free or are they actually implying to split the ac system by discharging / recharging - seems like overkill to actually split as the two systems are not interlinked except by physical local to each other ? Maybe I missed something when I looked at the setup under the hood :-(

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,522 Posts
Not sure, I did not read it all.

I do know that the procedure to replace the radiator fan assembly calls to remove the upper radiator hose and the AC lines but it can be done without doing any of that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Job done - did not need to split AC lines although there is one that needs unclamped - just need to be careful maneuvering it out and then the new one back in. I did disconnect battery and priming was manual few slow turns back and forward from left to right lock on the wheel checking fluid level and then same again with battery reconnected and than full PS on. Test drove fine and just checked there were no leeks after first few journeys - thanks jman for the assistance ! now I just need to fix AC ;-)

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
683 Posts
Yes! Definitely great to hear the job went well and didn't require breaking any refrigerant connections. I believe this is the first post I've seen in regards to replacing the E-PS unit. It's such a silly setup IMO. Still a 50+ year old hydraulically driven steering rack system, but uses an expensive electric pump assembly instead of an engine driven one.

Reactions: Lorak

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yes! Definitely great to hear the job went well and didn't require breaking any refrigerant connections. I believe this is the first post I've seen in regards to replacing the E-PS unit. It's such a silly setup IMO. Still a 50+ year old hydraulically driven steering rack system, but uses an expensive electric pump assembly instead of an engine driven one.
Apparently the pump is a Renault pump so it may also be on some of their newer models and available through Europe cheaper than the US pricing although I don't know that for a fact however Nissan / Renault had or may still have a partnership so it probably came from Renault's part bins for one of their models in Europe since they don't sell here in US - just something to consider / research if you want a new part rather than a US used one from junk yard - personally mine worked fine (used 80K from 2015 $130 vs $1500 new from Nissan) and it is actually quieter than original - that may also be something to think about if buying used, potentially avoid the early / higher mileage one i.e. avoid 2013 or 100K plus - I'm not an expert so do your own research but that was where my head was @ when researching / buying

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
683 Posts
Good to know.

I see a ton of E-PS units from wrecked Pathfinders off eBay for $150-300.

I can't say how much it helps, but on my 2016 Nissan Quest and my 2019 Pathfinder, I use a fluid pump to suck out the reservoir on the electric power steering unit and I refill it with fresh Nissan electric power steering fluid. It's only a few ounces of fluid at a time, so one quart of this fluid will last you for years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts