Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

Drivers Heated/Cooled seat inop

77K views 71 replies 33 participants last post by  sabbykatt87 
#1 ·
Looking for information on the heated/cooled seat in my wife 2014 Pathfinder. It seemed to be intermiten the other day and now just doesn't work? No light, no heat, or ventilation, The passenger seat works normal. I looked for a fuse under the dash, but only found a rear seat fuse. Does the front two seats share a fuse and its a bad switch, or are they independent and it could be a fuse, relay, or switch? Looking for any help here, I do not have a manual for it yet, I did check all connections under the seat.

Thanks in advance,
Jake

#36 ·
I spent $0 dollars, all I did was take off the entire back of the seat, which later I found out to be unnecessary, find the filter and clean it with a vacuum, I do not recommend wet cleaning it with wipes or anything, like that. That may make it more difficult to clean in the future by embedding the dirt/dust into the filter.

#37 ·
I fixed my issue with the driver side heated and cooled seat not working. At the bottom of the seat is the seat climate control module and I found the main plug was melting to the control unit because the power and ground pins in the control module are a smaller thickness than the female side of the plug causing arcing and high resistance which makes the system turn off after a few seconds. I cleaned up the pins and twisted them 45 degrees and plugged it back in to get them a better connection. Now my seat heats and cools just fine.

Attachments

#38 ·
Hey I wanted to thank you for a great write up. I was reading this last night and those pictures stuck with me. I went out and loosened up the seat in my 2014 Infiniti QX60 and was about to put it back together and purchase the switch in the console cause I had no power at all to the drivers seat. I looked and checked the white box couldn’t find anything and I finally pulled a plug and saw that purple color that was in your pics. I had almost the exact same issue but mine was a little smaller melting wise. I cleaned it up and wiggled the wire to make sure and the seat heat and air came right on. Again thanks for your info and pictures

#40 ·
There are 4 bolts. 2 in front one each side and 2 in the back. My Infiniti QX60 has plastic covers over the bolts. When you get to the back ones slide the seat forward, makes it easier to get to them. All I did was spread the pins out a little just in case it was touching cause there’s a reason it’s melted. My wire in the back of the connector wasn’t making good connection so I tried to stuff it in a little better and as soon as I did the seat heat kicked on.here is a picture of the cover. Bolt is underneath. I took all four bolts out and just flipped the seat backwards resting it on the 2nd row seat. That gave me plenty of room to work. I didn’t unplug anything else besides the white box pictures to check it and the plug for the seat heat/cool that was melted. I didn’t mess with airbags which are yellow plugs if I remember correctly. I had no issues/warning lights. Good luck as I just messed with it until my seat came on and stayed on and I left it on for a few to check and made sure it stayed when I bolted seat back in.

#41 · (Edited by Moderator)
There are 4 bolts. 2 in front one each side and 2 in the back. My Infiniti QX60 has plastic covers over the bolts. When you get to the back ones slide the seat forward, makes it easier to get to them. All I did was spread the pins out a little just in case it was touching cause there’s a reason it’s melted. My wire in the back of the connector wasn’t making good connection so I tried to stuff it in a little better and as soon as I did the seat heat kicked on.here is a picture of the cover. Bolt is underneath. I took all four bolts out and just flipped the seat backwards resting it on the 2nd row seat. That gave me plenty of room to work. I didn’t unplug anything else besides the white box pictures to check it and the plug for the seat heat/cool that was melted. I didn’t mess with airbags which are yellow plugs if I remember correctly. I had no issues/warning lights. Good luck as I just messed with it until my seat came on and stayed on and I left it on for a few to check and made sure it stayed when I bolted seat back in.
Thanks a lot Josh for the details; I have found the connector on eBay, I'll probably order it before I remove the chair, just incase it's messy down their.

The connector code is DELPHI PA6 GB20 GF10, just incase anyone is looking for it

#42 ·
I'm having the same issues with my 2014 Platinum. The dealership said the part costs $1400.00. I can't justify that. Called Big Nissan, and they won't do a darn thing for me because my extended warranty ran out. Hoping you all have good luck fixing your seats. I'll be reading to see if we should try it too.

#49 · (Edited by Moderator)
This is the Service Bulletin. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10172249-0001.pdf
I was able to pull the contactor off without removing my drivers chair.

Put the chair all the way forward and the control box is in the back left of the seat (accessed from back of seat) there is a tab on the side of the black contactor that you have to push towards the contactor the free it and pull it out. Mine is completely melted. Nothing like having melting plastics under your seat. I will check my passengers seat as well and see if my local dealer will fix it for free.
Vertebrate Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Finger

#51 ·
Hi Jake
I have the same model. This happened to my drivers seat. It is the harness wire to the controller melted. This is alot to replace. I contacted Nissan and they wouldn't do anything for me, because my extended warranty ran out by 2 weeks. The part was over $1000.00 to replace, without labor. We bought this model, figuring we wouldn't have problems like this. At the same time my hatchback modular switch went to the tune of $900.00 for the part alone. I have already made up my mind that my next vehicle will not be a Nissan. This is our 5th one. Good luck! I hope you find out what is wrong with yours, and hopefully it's something small and inexpensive.

Nancy J.

#55 ·

Attachments

#58 ·
My same year 2014 Pathfinder Platinum, same problem. My heated/ ventilated seat wire melted. Big Nissan, wouldn't do anything for me as I was out of my extended warranty by like two weeks. The part alone is $1200.00. The same week, my hatch door lift modular went for another $900.00. For just the part. This is the last Nissan I will be purchasing. It's sad, because I do like the vehicle, but at only 6 years old, I don't feel like these parts should have went.

#62 ·
I'm going to post here before tearing into my wife's 2017 pathfinder. She noticed the other day that the front seats are no longer cooling. I checked it out, and both front seats are not cooling. No lights for either seat when set to cooling, but both work for heating. Is it a bad switch, module, or something else?

#63 ·
There is a service bulletin posted in previous replies that explains a common reason for this that may or may not be the reason yours aren't working. I wouldn't recommend just replacing the connector as others have done. There's a reason why that isn't the fix detailed in the bulletin.

#65 ·
Soooo......my drivers side heating/cooling light turns off after 10 seconds. I pulled the seat and the control unit. Harness connector shows no sign of and burning.....nor does the control until. Reseated everthing and still same issue. Does anyone know if the drivers side and passenger side control units are the exact same? I would like to try swapping.
Or......do I go the route of the relay in the twisty knob? Thx.

#66 · (Edited)
Like many others, I had the same problem of a poor connection in the plug arcing and frying said plug (my wife had told me that she smelled something funny... Guess she was right!). I didn't really want to spend tons of money on a new control module, and just replacing the plug wasn't an option because of all the melted plastic on the connector of the control module. But... everything else on the control module looked good, so why bother with a plug at all? Why not just wire it together straight? So I got out my dremel, cut all that plastic off the outlet on the control module, bent the pins apart a little... Oops! Broke one off! No biggie. Soldered wires to the outlet pins and one straight to the board where the broken pin had attached. Labeled everything by their colors based on the repair manual in this thread. Then it was time to put it all together. I put the module back in it's plastic box, took the seat out of the car, cut the burned up plug out, stripped the wires, soldered them to my shiny new wires. Used some heat shrink insulating wrap so that I wouldn't end up with a short (only had to re-melt one solder where I'd forgotten the insulator). Tied everything down with zip ties. Put the seat back in. Tested it out and had a cool butt after driving around the block! Can't insert the photos directly because this site doesn't like Google Photos, but go to the links below for pictures. Dead plug Pins waiting for wires Oops! Soldering Soldered Insulated Labeled Connected All done!