Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
My 1999 Ti R50 Pathfinder doesn't start when it rained a lot or for a few days. Something in there has to be too moist to work, we unplugged the spark plugs and they're dry as well as underneath the distribution cap. I never ever have starting problems, only when it's wet. When I turn the key you can hear her cranking but she doesn't start. As soon as it's dry she's back to normal. Has anyone got experience with that? Did you replace the spark plugs or distribution cap and that was it? Or did you seal anything better?
Please let me know how you've solved that
Thank you so much for reading
Toni
 

·
Administrator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
Joined
·
3,168 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Spark plugs will not get wet. I think you could have an exposed wire or a loose connection that shorts to ground when too much moisture is present.
There is an old method to check for spark. I use to do it on my old Jeep Willys, you can get shocked and its not pleasant (ask me how I know) so attempt at your own risk.
Next time it happens, remove one spark plug wire at a time, place a screwdriver inside the spark plug boot until it makes contact with the metal part inside of it. Grabbing the cable by the boot with one hand and the screwdriver by the handle (do not touch the metal part) with your other hand, place the body of the screwdriver about half inch away from the body or engine. Ask someone to crank it and you should see a spark jump between the two surfaces. This should help you identify a bad wire. If none have spark then you need to look at your distributor cap and coil.
Not the most technical way to do it but...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you, I didn't think of the wires, I'll test those :) I hope I don't have to test the spark like that but I will give it a try if I need to :D thank you so much for your tips
 

·
Registered
1999 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD
Joined
·
5 Posts
I would suggest replacing the spark plug wires. I've seen this issue on other vehicles. A simple test would be to start the engine then use a spray bottle filled with water to spray a light mist all around the top of the engine on the wires. Not too much, just a bit. If it starts to cut out you may have faulty wires. You might even hear a few of them arcing.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top