Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is for 2017+ Pathfinder owners. Do you notice what seems like the new VQ35DD direct injected engines blacken the engine oil very quickly? Like within 1-2K miles? I've got about 2900mi on my most recent oil change and judging from how the oil looks on the dipstick, it to me looks like you're checking the stick on an old diesel engine the oil is so black! I know color means nothing, but I know the non-direct injected VQ35DE in our 2016 Quest didn't blacken the oil at all between the ~5000mi OCs I did on it.

I found this to be the case shortly after we took ownership of our 2019 PF SV model with ~24K miles on it back in Oct 2019. It was an ex-rental. The vehicle was taken in by the local Toyota dealership and they had changed the oil just before I bought it. After a few weeks I noticed the oil looked disturbingly black and not really trusting the dealer oil change, I changed it myself in the beginning of November. The Toyota dealer had used a cheap Napa Pro Select filter and unknown oil. I changed it with a Nissan filter and Napa full synthetic 5w30.

Nissan recommends 0w20 for all later model VQ35 engines. In the case of our 2016 Quest with the older VQ35DE, the OM also recommended 0w20, but said you can use 5w30 for severe service. This is why I'd prefer to stick with 5w30 for the new PF as well.

Could it be DI fuel dilution? The engine looks spotless from what you can see under the oil fill cap. I fear going beyond an old school 3K mile oil change interval on this.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Could it be the brand of oil you used? Some get oxidized or darkened faster. I remember that from the time I used to change oil in my cars. Sometimes it looked as black as tar, some other times I'd question myself if I should've let the car go for another thousand miles.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be.

From what I gather, this seems to be a phenomena of DI engines. Sooty looking oil and it happens rather quickly.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You could always get it tested. I know i work in the plastics industry, and we test our blow molding and injection machine oils regularly, and i'll slip some of my motor oil in (especially when trying to prove a point with co-workers about full synthetic oil being good past 10k miles). Testoil.com will do it for less than 30 bucks. For the record i've had my best results with Castrol Full synthetic after 9000k miles. Mobil one (In a 2016 Ford Mustang Ecoboost) with over a 100k miles (All highway) was the worst and degraded after 4000k miles. Tho i'll also admit my results were not scientific at ALL nor was i keep tracking of driving style which i probably should have lol.

Test oil

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's not a bad idea BCady83.

I'm familiar with used oil analysis as well. I'm a production tech for a series of cryogenic air separation and hydrogen production plants. Some of our compressors are massive and have huge oil sumps that we send samples out for analysis. If I was concerned about a mechanical problem with my engine I would for sure send a sample. Other than that, I'd rather use the $30 to just change the oil.

I've chatted (on another board) with 1 or 2 other 2017 PF owners and folks who own Ford ecoboost DI engines, Hyundai/Kia GDI engines and others and they also notice the same phenomena with the heavily blackened oil and it happens quickly, like within the first 1-2K miles. Even with the best of motor oils, I couldn't imagine putting 10K miles on the same oil with these new direct injected engines. Especially the one in 2017+ pathfinders.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yea i won't lie i don't have a huge desire to put that many miles, tho mine doesn't even have 10k miles on it and it's going in for it's first oil change and tire rotation today. but at the time with the Mustang i was averaging 900miles work commute a week as well as big trips with my Ex so i put huge miles on the car so i felt safe, even with the turbo system.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've put up to ~8000mi on full synthetics in my Pentastar powered vehicles, but they hold ~6 quarts and the oil never looks horrible to the eye.

If I followed the oil life monitor down to 0% oil life left on my 2017 Ram 1500 with the Pentastar it would easily be 8000mi or beyond. I can't bring myself to go under 20-30% oil life left which typically puts me around 7000mi between OCIs.

·
Registered
117 Posts
my personal opinion the tiny oil filters used just do not do a good enough job mine is black around 3200-3800 miles full synthetic mobil 1, 60 miles a day highway driving and std paper air filter. I just don't like to run another 4-5k miles on black synthetic oil. Soon as I find a filter relocation kit im putting it on to run a larger filter. My boat & 03 Ram hemi both have them

1 - 8 of 8 Posts