Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I performed direct injection valve cleaning on a 2017 pathfinder last week.

The car was a used rental with 36k miles (yes, I live dangerously). Idle was a bit rough so I did the DI service at jiffy lube and cleared up the rough idle.

I changed the oil at 4k mile interval a couple of times. At 49k miles right before the third oil change I used Seafoam per the instructions on the can.

After trying to drive the vehicle it idled poorly and turned on check engine light. It sputtered for less than a minute and white smoke came out of the tailpipe. Spirited driving for about 20 miles didn't clear the check engine light but it did clear later that day after I changed the oil.

I was not experiencing a rough idle or poor gas mileage before doing the Seafoam treatment, but I was trying to stay with proper maintenance of the motor. I believe the Nissan service for this is almost $200 although they probably do some other things besides the valve cleaning as part of their maintenance. The Seafoam can was $8.

Drove about 500 miles highway miles so far and no problems.

Anyone else have experience with this engine maintenance or experience problems doing the service?

Do you wait till the idle gets rough to do this or do it on a mile interval?

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
558 Posts
I'm assuming Iffy Loob used a spray can product? Where did they inject it? What did they use?

Where did you inject the seafoam?

I don't have a concern with my 2019 yet that was also purchased last year as an ex-rental with 24K miles on it. We've only got 35K on it at this point but I've posted about my DI intake valve build-up concerns in the past and no one had experienced it yet.

Thing is, using using liquid products through a vacuum line isn't going to remove heavy build up and will throw a bunch of junk in your catalytic converters. My theory there is this will shorten the life of the cats. In essence your possibly making one thing marginally better, while taking life away from something else.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems like there is no reliable info regarding this issue for any DI engine that I have found besides YouTube videos that show improvement with boroscope camera. Of course CRC and seafoam claim good results with no side effects.

I was not able to see what the jiffy lube guy did, but the idle was very smooth after he was done.

The sea foam can went in the intake after the maf sensor with the engine revved around 2000 rpm. Hard to see anything since the tube not visible in front of the intake valve. Instructions are to shut down the engine and let soak for 10 min and then drive hard for several miles.

The jiffy lube guy did not ask me to do anything after the treatment.

I can't say that it is running any smoother after the sea foam but it was very smooth already. But it did put on a good "smoke show" as I have seen it referred to.

Kinda wish they had left the engine lower powered with conventional port fuel injection so this isn't something new to deal with.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Kinda wish they had left the engine lower powered with conventional port fuel injection so this isn't something new to deal with.
Right? Our last Nissan was a 2016 Nissan Quest that basically has the same engine and CVT as the PF. It was the VQ35DE (port injected). I had better power, better fuel economy and was quieter. The power thing could have been due to a different final drive ratio though, I dunno.

I think the best thing we can do for our 2017+ direct injected PFs, is use a decent quality synthetic oil, preferably one with very low NOACK and don't extend oil change intervals beyond ~4K miles or so until we get some long term data on carbon build-up on.

The problem with those spray cleaners is, you're supposed to inject them in a large vaccum line closest to the valves. Supposedly if you inject it upstream of the throttle plate like is sounds like you did, they are not as effective (I'm told).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've used Quaker state, Pennzoil, and this last change was valvoline. Previous oil test data I got back didn't show much that was concerning, I'll send this last one (Valvoline)to be tested and let folks know what they say. I don't expect it to show any effect from doing this treatment.

I did go with Mobile 1 this time and an O'Reilly house oil filter,vwhere before I was using higher cost filters. Just don't seem to make sense spending on better filter since replacing oil and filter at 4k miles.

This vehicle has mostly highway miles so my usage probably as benign as possible. I was gonna start towing though...

·
Registered
558 Posts
While doing an oil change on my 2019 today, I pulled off the plastic engine cover as I normally do to give everything a look over. Looks like the PCV valve is right up front on the cam cover near the oil fill port. The hose to the PCV valve would be an ideal access for intake cleaning sprays or solution. Loosen the hose from the PCV valve, start the engine, pop the hose off and have at it with the spray. May need someone to sit behind the wheel to keep the RPMs up though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts