Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to say that the 2018 Pathfinder dipstick setup is the worst that I've ever seen in 30 years of owning vehicles. The "guide" is perfect for accumulating debris that can then go into the dipstick tube once you pull out the dipstick. Also, you can barely see the tube opening itself which is probably why the guide is there in the first place. Would've been a LOT easier to simply extend the tube upwards in order to avoid the need for a guide. Also, I had to bend the dipstick slightly so that it's more curved and glides more smoothly into the tube; otherwise, oil gets wiped all over and makes it more difficult to read the actual level.

Anyone aware of any aftermarket, "cable-type" dipsticks? Or another solution? Are all 2013+ PF set up like this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I totally agree with you GD. I had to get a flashlight to see the dipstick guide. I was expecting to see a tube. Hope the guide doesn't attract dirt.

·
Registered
298 Posts
2nd that. I bought my 2017 SV used. I pulled the dipstick to look at the oil and had no idea where to replace it. The current owner also did not know. I pulled it out so I knew it had to be somewhere down there but geez, they did not make that easy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Totally agree. I have a 2017 Pathfinder. If I ask the gas attendant to check the oil I usually have to get out and do it myself. Even after 3 years of ownership it still takes a flashlight and a minute or two to check it myself. Poor design and very poor engineering. Didn’t they notice this in production?

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
819 Posts
It's like it was an afterthought on the 2017+ Pathfinders.

Awe crap.. the dipstick doesn't fit! Let's cram this little scoop down there to guide the stick and any/all debris straight into the engine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree, and even if we were to engineer a solution it would probably mean major work to get at the area to fix an extension tube with new dip stick.
But good news is despite the thin oil I doesnt use Oil like my 2003.
From 23000 to 168000 it used same, depending on speed, 800 to 1500 miles per quart.

Reactions: PoManzPathy

·
Registered
819 Posts
Yeah, given I can't bring myself to go beyond 4000mi max between oil changes on my 2019 because the oil turns black so quickly, I rarely pull the dipstick. We're only at ~36K miles, but it's not using any measurable amount of oil between oil changes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have to say that the 2018 Pathfinder dipstick setup is the worst that I've ever seen in 30 years of owning vehicles. The "guide" is perfect for accumulating debris that can then go into the dipstick tube once you pull out the dipstick. Also, you can barely see the tube opening itself which is probably why the guide is there in the first place. Would've been a LOT easier to simply extend the tube upwards in order to avoid the need for a guide. Also, I had to bend the dipstick slightly so that it's more curved and glides more smoothly into the tube; otherwise, oil gets wiped all over and makes it more difficult to read the actual level.

Anyone aware of any aftermarket, "cable-type" dipsticks? Or another solution? Are all 2013+ PF set up like this?
I have been looking off and on all day (since around 0930), trying to find the tube after pulling the dipstick for the first time. I now learned from this thread that there is no tube--however--what is this guide of which you speak? I just put the hood down, 7-1/2 hours later, and I'll go out tomorrow. In the meantime, can somebody PLEASE provide me with some photos of where I need to put the dipstick?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you use a flashlight or headlight, you'll easily see the tube; it's attached to a flat piece of metal that basically "guides" the dipstick to the hole...along with anything else that may be there at any given time...forward bank, left side...

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you use a flashlight or headlight, you'll easily see the tube; it's attached to a flat piece of metal that basically "guides" the dipstick to the hole...along with anything else that may be there at any given time...forward bank, left side...
It's freezing rain outside, so I'll have to wait, but I do recall a somewhat curved piece of metal, silver colored, that I believe may be the guide. Is that it? If not, I'll have to take a ride to the nearest Nissan dealer and snap a photo of the engine. If so, I'll post it here.

·
Registered
819 Posts
It's freezing rain outside, so I'll have to wait, but I do recall a somewhat curved piece of metal, silver colored, that I believe may be the guide. Is that it? If not, I'll have to take a ride to the nearest Nissan dealer and snap a photo of the engine. If so, I'll post it here.
First of all, what model year is your pathfinder? 2013-2016 do not have the "guide" or "chute" we're talking about. 2017+ do have it. There's no dipstick tube that I'm aware of. it's basically a hole at the top of the block skirt. You'll find it. Looking under the hood, it's towards the front left corner of the engine. You might need one of those handy harbor freight tools inspection mirrors or such.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts