Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I'm new to this forum; bought a used 2018 Pathfinder this past summer and it's been great so far. I need to replace the OEM Cross Contact LX Sport tires though. I was looking through discounttire and found an OEM specified Cross Contact tire and another non-OEM specified Cross Contact Tire for cheaper. They both are the same size, same named brand model title ("Cross Contact LX Sport") but different item number and the OEM is $32 more per tire than the non-OEM.

Am I missing something? Why difference in price if it's the same tire? I've been happy with the Cross Contact Sport so I was just going to replace them with the same unless you all have a different recommendation that's in the same $140 price range?

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,285 Posts
Tire manufacturers typically change out their models and experiment with different thread designs. Read the tire manufacture date on the tire. I'm guessing the cheaper tire was an older design and manufacture date. Car manufacturers also buy tires in bulk and the "OEM" item number just reflects that. Nissan uses a variety of brands on their new Pathfinders with Goodyear, Continental and Toyo among them. They buy whatever they can get the best price on.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
558 Posts
Like said, could be an older model tire. Could be they've got a lot of them so it's a supply and demand thing. You never really know how the price is determined, but I've found that same scenario buying tires online.

Why the desire to stick with "OEM"? Nissan is all over the place in terms of what they put on their vehicles. My 2019 SV model has either Toyos or Yokohamas from the factory. I'll have to verify when it's back in the driveway! I don't think I've ever in ~35yrs of owning vehicles used the same make/model tire that came from the factory. I've found the factory tires to be mostly junk in the last 20yrs or so.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I agree with the above and would also agree that there is no need to stick with the tire your particular vehicle came with. OEM installs whatever they get the best price for.

I have a 2017 PF and I just replaced the OEM Bridgestone DUELER H/P SPORT AS($1100 cdn). They worked well for me and lasted 55,000 KM(which is close to manufacture suggested wear for those tires). I live in the Toronto area. I have done 3 cross country trips of about 9000 km each and the rest is local city/hwy(30/70) travel. I strive for MPG so I am very easy on my tires and brakes. At 72K my brakes look like they have never been used.

That been said I think that 55K KM is horrible tire wear. Without the long, low wear highway trips, these tires would have lasted a pitiful 40-45k at best!

I replaced them with Bridgestone ECOPIA H/L 422 PLUS from Costco.ca(Sept.2019) on sale for just over $850, installed and full warranty, free rotate and balance for life + received a $80 gift card.

I now have 12,000 km on them and they seem very good so far. They have a 110,000 km tread warranty. They seem sticky enough. I just spent a two week vacation in snow country where they worked very well.

I do not think that you can get them at Costco at this time of year though.

Good luck and hope that helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I tend to stay away from what the manufacturer puts on a vehicle as they don’t necessarily pick the tire out of your best interest. I picked up some sumitomo htr a/s p02 really cheap on amazon and had them installed at the local tire shop. They seem to be wearing well and have done me good in some light mud and snow.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I believe there are 2 major reasons a vehicle manufacturer puts a certain tire on a new vehicle. 1) low cost and 2) great ride (smooth, quiet, etc.) so it helps sell the vehicle. They don't really care how long they last because that's the new owner's problem. Now tire manufacturers have a different goal. They want to offer tires that meet the cost requirements but also last long enough to have a happy customer so when they do replace the tires, they go with the same as OEM. I doubt any of us are happy with the OEM tires on our PFs. Sounds like ~30K miles is the average - I'm at 27K and starting to look. I live in the town of Michelin's North American HQ (Michelin, BF Goodrich, Uniroyal) and have many friends that work for Michelin. I believe they have long lasting tires and will look at them as a 1st choice but I have to look at price as well. Would like the Defender LTX M/S but will look at others as well as read the posts on the forums.

·
Registered
117 Posts
sounds crazy but the last 3 years I have bought all my tires online, walmart, amazon and ebay. Never needed a tire warranty as I keep them aligned & balanced, all suspension maint done regularly.

·
Registered
558 Posts
sounds crazy but the last 3 years I have bought all my tires online, walmart, amazon and ebay. Never needed a tire warranty as I keep them aligned & balanced, all suspension maint done regularly.
Not crazy at all. I've been mail ordering tires for over 10yrs. If you've got the time before you absolutely need tires, you can stumble upon some unbelievable deals. The problem with doing this is some shops in my area won't mount new carry-in tires. Others will, but they'll charge more to do so than if you bought the tires from them. Luckily I've got a repair shop down the road from me that will mount and balance carry-ins for $20/tire.

·
Registered
73 Posts
An update on my Bridgestone ECOPIA H/L 422 PLUS.
As per some of the reviews on the net, these tires may be very well suited to warm weather and last exceedingly long. Some reviews complain they maybe a little hard and slippery in the cold. This was a test....
I have found them a little nerve racking in slush at highway speeds. They tend to float more than I am used too. I live in the city so All season tires ussually get me by in the winter for the first 2 seasons.

Costco tire tech did recommend that I stay away from the Perelli tires they were selling at the time, for the PF. He said they were having a lot of returns. I did not get the specific model unfortunatly.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The same model and size tire may have several different load ratings for different applications. Actually called a load index and stamped on the tire with the speed rating letter. Like 89S or 93V. the higher the number the higher the load index of the tire. That might be the difference in OEM, Non OEM and the cost difference.

·
Registered
558 Posts
An update on my Bridgestone ECOPIA H/L 422 PLUS.....I have found them a little nerve racking in slush at highway speeds. They tend to float more than I am used too. I live in the city so All season tires ussually get me by in the winter for the first 2 seasons.
That sucks. It's one of those deals. You can't really test them before you buy them and sometimes that exact make/model tire in a different size/profile on another vehicle will be better in winter conditions.

I'm not sure where you are in Canada, but I'm assuming your area doesn't have the mandatory snow tire policy? (at least I thought some areas had that in CA).

If it's any consolation, the factory Toyos are terrible in the snow on our 2019. A white knuckler for sure, but there's so much tread left on them at ~28K miles I'm praying for spring.

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,285 Posts
PoManz, I'm surprised you don't have dedicated snows on your Pathy, being that you live in the NY snow belt.

·
Registered
558 Posts
PoManz, I'm surprised you don't have dedicated snows on your Pathy, being that you live in the NY snow belt.
Yeah, it kind of got away from me. We got the PF at the beginning of November and I let it slide (literally LOL). I've got dedicated snows for my Ram 1500 and Versa.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts