Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

Did TSV NTB13064 Replace Torque Converter Fix Your Car?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to get an idea ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
700 miles after repair, problem came back and 1300 miles later I'm living with it, for now. Humidity and rain will aggravate it more. But it happens nearly every day.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Picked it yesterday after 10 days in the shop, did it 3 times on way home and then again this morning. Not as bad as before (yet), but as of yesterday it has been in the shop 19 days in 2-1/2 months and 2,100 miles. This will be a slam dunk for the lemon law.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Picked it yesterday after 10 days in the shop, did it 3 times on way home and then again this morning. Not as bad as before (yet), but as of yesterday it has been in the shop 19 days in 2-1/2 months and 2,100 miles. This will be a slam dunk for the lemon law.
Definitely something that would fall under the lemon law, might be time to pull of the details of the lemon law to see when you should be taking action on it.

I hope they gave you a good loaner car in the mean time

·
Registered
12 Posts
Had mine in two weeks ago for torque converter and reprogramming. It is now back in shop with same problem and they are replacing the transmission this time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
cdgoodling - same story here, although they're about to replace my transmission for the SECOND time. It's a shame. The PF is an awesome vehicle otherwise!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Same here, two days after converter replaced and shudder came back... waiting on Nissan to authorize dealer to replace transmission... I want my money back!!!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Definitely something that would fall under the lemon law, might be time to pull of the details of the lemon law to see when you should be taking action on it.

I hope they gave you a good loaner car in the mean time
To be specific, the shudder/judder now happens when decelerating, and not accelerating like before. And it does not happen as much. But there is still a problem.

In North Carolina, you have to have the vehicle in for warranty service 4 times for the same problem, and not fixed, within a 1 year period while under warranty. Note this is not just the first year, but a 1 year period anytime while it is under warranty. A lemon law lawyer I spoke with said the "we can't reproduce it, so no problem exists" line by Nissan and its dealers does not let them off the hook. As an alternative, if the vehicle is in for warranty service for a total of 20 days over a 1 year period, then it is classified as a lemon. Mine has been in the shop 19 days from May 2 to July 18th.

You should start with with the Better Business Bureau's Auto Line to start mediation. Once you have proven it falls under the lemon law, they owe you all of your money back, minus mileage, or a 'replacement vehicle'. Exactly what the replacement vehicle is determined by you and Nissan. If you don't like the results of the mediation, you can hire a lemon law lawyer. If you win, Nissan has to pay the lawyer fees.

One day in the shop for me to qualify, and I am not in a hurry, my bumper to bumper warranty was extended to 7 years or 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So this begs the question Ive asked in general.. Would you buy a Pathfinder with a non CVT?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
But does it work :) for most it seems. but some seem to be having problems with it.

Are some just more sensitive to notice?

·
Registered
30 Posts
cfrp - I've driven two 2013 PF's -- one with a 2012 build date and one with a 5/2013 build date. After about 600 miles, both judder noticeably. They still haven't been able to fix the problem on my PF -- transmission replaced and all! I wonder if the 2014's will be affected or not, afterall it's the same transmission. My dealership and another I know of in Dallas have had several PFs returned after the torque converter because the judder shows back up after a couple hundred miles or so. Hope this helps with your decision to buy -- and I hope you don't have the same troubles as
many of us.

·
Registered
440 Posts
But does it work :) for most it seems. but some seem to be having problems with it.

Are some just more sensitive to notice?
Well, when you pay $30,000 to over $40,000 for a new vehicle, I think there is a certain sensitivity there for the obvious reason. But the shudder/judder (who came up with "judder"?) for my vehicle is not slight and definitely easy to identify. With that said, my wife wants to claim every road bump, tar strip, pothole, etc. as the shudder/judder, but is being overly sensitive on her part.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Fixed mine. 1300 miles since the repair.
Yeah, I would like to retract that statement (and my "yes" vote) now. Took the PF back to the dealer yesterday after I felt a slight shudder. Sure enough, when the tech drove it they were able to replicate it. My service adviser told me they had another PF in the shop now that recently had the torque conv replacement and their symptoms returned also...they were getting the whole CVT replaced i that one and they were 99% sure Nissan would replace mine as well. I asked him if the new transmission came with the updated torque conv and he confirmed that it did. Here's to not having my vehicle another week to week and a half!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ugadawg - same story here. I'll get mine back this week with its THIRD transmission. I'm hoping the reason the SECOND transmission didn't clear up the problem is because it didn't have updated parts (although they told me it did.) We'll see... Good luck!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thanks, good luck on yours as well! Maybe you're right, or maybe the 2nd one being defective was just a fluke...I'm still trying to be optimistic because honestly my wife and I both love the vehicle, this CVT issue is just killing it for us. I would think that the CVT's in production now are the same ones going in the 2014's and have these kinks ironed out, but then again we don't really have any idea just yet how well the 2014's are going to perform. I have to give Nissan credit for stepping up to the plate for us and trying to get this resolved, I mean when they're talking about replacing a $10,000 (give or take) part I regain some confidence in them.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts