Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this thread we'll be looking at how the 2013 Nissan Pathfinder design stacks up to it's competition. Pictures of the competitors below will be displayed in order as show in this list

2013 Nissan Pathfinder Competitors:

2013 Ford Explorer
2013 Toyota Highlander
2013 Chevrolet Traverse
2013 Honda Pilot
2013 Mazda CX-9
2013 Ford Edge
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013 Kia Sorento
2013 Dodge Journey

2013 Nissan Pathfinder vs. 2013 Ford Explorer

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Nice. To be honest the Explorer is the only design that caught me eye. Most of them are extremely boring. I really don't like the Mazda front end designs. I have no clue why people love them so much.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Edge, Grand Cherokee, Sorento and Journey are not in remotely the same category. Edge and GC are 5-seaters and the others are 5-seaters with a tiny nearly unuseable 3rd row thrown in.

Of the legit 7-seat competitors, the Mazda is the only one that competes from a style perspective. I've always thought the Highlander was good looking, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth going on about 6 years.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Edge, Grand Cherokee, Sorento and Journey are not in remotely the same category. Edge and GC are 5-seaters and the others are 5-seaters with a tiny nearly unuseable 3rd row thrown in.

Of the legit 7-seat competitors, the Mazda is the only one that competes from a style perspective. I've always thought the Highlander was good looking, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth going on about 6 years.
That was my first thought, I didn't think most of those have three rows of usable seating. That's why we chose the PF, that third row was a dealbreaker for us. It's a must have! And the fact that it reclines and has its own air vents is just icing on the cake.

·
Registered
215 Posts

You must have not seen the Durango. Very close price wise and similar interior room. With the new 8 speed, it could most definitely become stiffer competition to the pathfinder.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well said, the 2014 Durango is due out soon and it looks amazing, the tech is far superior to the Pathfinder and powertrain should be amazing but who knows about reliability with a new design - the good news is the 8-speed is designed and built by world renowned tranny designer Europenan company ZF. Very good move outsourcing this critical component to an expert company rather than designing in-house. The Durango also comes with a 6200 lb towing capacity with the 3.6 V6, combined with fuel efficiency that will be roughly equal to the Pathfinder, the Durango could be a big winner. The only downside in my mind is price, this thing does not come cheap, whereas the Pathfinder is priced very reasonably.

Also keep your eye on the 2014 completely redesigned Highlander, its bigger with 8 passenger seating and a new 6-spd tranny. Nothing that looks too exciting on paper but thats why Toyota has legendary reliability, they don't push the envelope so far to favor one aspect such as fuel efficiency at the risk of sacrifcing reliability. The RAV4 just ditched its 4-spd tranny last year which is crazy, but that's how they maintain the best reliability and durability.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You must have not seen the Durango. Very close price wise and similar interior room. With the new 8 speed, it could most definitely become stiffer competition to the pathfinder.
I was only commenting on the competitors from the original post. That being said, I wouldn't go near a Dodge.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I was only commenting on the competitors from the original post. That being said, I wouldn't go near a Dodge.
And like I said before, you must have not looked at dodge. Since having more than 50% of the company now owned by fiat and Maserati the quality control and reliability has increased dramatically for dodge and jeep. If you have a chance go test drive a Durango, you may be very surprised as I was.

·
Registered
70 Posts
And like I said before, you must have not looked at dodge. Since having more than 50% of the company now owned by fiat and Maserati the quality control and reliability has increased dramatically for dodge and jeep. If you have a chance go test drive a Durango, you may be very surprised as I was.
How do Fiat and Maserati quality and reliability compare to Chrysler? Are they that much better? I don't know the answer, I'm just asking the question, but I don't recall seeing either on the list of car companies with the best reliability ratings. As for the test drive, I'm sure it was great. Ownership, though, is a different beast. I won't be test driving anything for several years as I just purchased a 2013 Pathfinder, hence my posts on this board. When the time comes to trade around 2020, I'll concern myself with the best available offerings at that time.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I was shocked too with all the new chrysler vehicles, not only does Fiat own 1/2 of the brand now but they are set to buy over all of Chrysler corp.

Can't ever go wrong with an american car brand controlled by the Italian's! When it comes to Fiat, I know a lot of Fiat 500 owners are loving their cars.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have not seen the latest Durango, I never could get past that ugly grill on previous years. Never owned a Dodge, so can't give an informed opinion. I know their trucks are very sharp, but if I was in the market for a truck I would still buy a FORD.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts