Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This week’s tester is going to come in handy and in fact already has. I’m behind the wheel of Nissan’s all-new 2013 Nissan Pathfinder – in Platinum trim, this vehicle is loaded and is a lot of vehicle for the money! I’ll be back and forth renovating my condo and I’ve already filled the Pathfinder to the brim with donations from what was left behind – what would have easily been three trips in the ATS was one in the Pathfinder.

The Nissan Pathfinder is powered by Nissan’s famous and potent 3.5L V6 engine – in this application it is offering 260 horsepower and 240 lb-ft of torque. Of course the Platinum model Pathfinder is four-wheel drive with selectable drive modes, including four-wheel locking and the most useful and most used “Auto” mode.

The Pathfinder starts at $29,998 for the S model, which is front-wheel drive; the Platinum tester that I have starts at $42,098 but comes loaded with features.

Standard on the Platinum are: 20-inch alloy wheels, power heated folding mirrors, trailer tow package, seven-passenger leather seating, heated and cooled front seats, 60/40 second row heated bench seat, 50/50 split third row, push-button start and power liftgate.

But it doesn’t stop there, adding standard navigation, Bose audio system, around view monitor system with rear sonar and rear view monitor and more. My tester doesn’t even stop there, though! No sir. Added to my tester is the Premium package for an additional $3,100, which adds dual seven inch headrest DVD system, wireless headphones and dual panoramic moonroof.

All this for under $50,000 — so far I’m impressed.

MSRP as tested (including destination): $47,053

For more information on Nissan and the Pathfinder visit Nisan Canada

For even more on this car FOLLOW James on Twitter

No related posts.

Day-by-Day Review: 2013 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum; Day 1 - Autos.ca

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
DAY 2 |

The interior of the Pathfinder is really a very nice place to be – it makes you wonder why anyone would shell out the extra money for the Infiniti version of this same vehicle, the JX. Everything is pretty much laid out where I would want it, with easy-to-read buttons and gauges and easy-to-reach controls.

My pet peeve is a centre console navigation display that cannot be completely turned off, which is annoying at night. It can be dimmed and blanked but it stays backlit with a time display – why, oh why? The heated and cooled seat controls are also small and hard to see, especially for the driver, as they are on the opposite side of the shift lever.

Being a seven-passenger SUV, of course there is ample room in the first two rows and, as is typical, it is a tight fit in the third row. At least the fancy flip-and-fold second-row seats allow easy access for shorter passengers to crawl back there.

The around-view backup camera is superb, parking going forward or backwards a view of every corner of this rather large SUV is great to have. This allows you to squeeze into any tight parking space like a pro – it is sure to cause many a motorist a heart attack as you move into a tight spot at speed knowing that you are clearly safe, they will be certain you are about to crash into them.

The power liftgate has been one of my most used features this week, up and down, up and down. Now if only I could get out of the car without having to shut it off – the Pathfinder is equipped with what I like to call “Detroit” locks. Put the car in drive and start moving and the vehicle locks the doors, but it doesn’t unlock them until I turn off the ignition – oh what a pain. I’ll be checking the settings tomorrow to see if that can be changed easily enough.

No related posts.

http://www.autos.ca/car-test-drives/day-by-day-review-2013-nissan-pathfinder-platinum/2/

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DAY 3

Well, first things first I guess: the “Detroit” locks do have different settings. The settings are: no-auto unlock, auto unlock when the ignition is shut off and auto unlock when put into park, the lesser of three evils I suppose; I didn’t see a setting for “don’t lock at all I’m in Canada.”

Anyways, as far as utility goes the Pathfinder really has been a huge help to me this week; another couple of full loads in the Pathfinder – it has done a lot of heavy lifting and unfortunately so have I – not a fun week at all, this one, so I’m glad it’s almost over.

I had a chance to do a couple of extra trips back and forth into town today as I realized that a cordless drill really isn’t made to be constantly running – the batteries just do not last. So back home for my corded drill and some time to reflect. Out on the highway the Pathfinder isn’t the quietest vehicle out there, but it does a good job of isolating noise from the outside, enough so that it isn’t tiring or bothersome.

The 3.5L V6 is matted to a CVT transmission and at times it is a letdown as the transmission either keeps the revs of the engine too high for too long, creating a groaning effect or the opposite happens and the vehicle feels anemic and slow.

There is plenty of power when needed, you must simply put your foot in it and V6 engine does make a nice snarl as the power is transferred to the pavement. The CVT transmission itself is as one would expect: perfectly smooth with seamless “shifts” and although some say it whines I cannot hear it at all over other noises such as tire, wind and the pleasing exhaust note.

No related posts.

Day-by-Day Review: 2013 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum; Day 3 - Autos.ca

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DAY 4

Previous Pathfinder owners may be disappointed that this new generation is no longer a truck (body on frame) design and that it is a front-wheel-drive layout with an all-wheel-drive addition. But those non-loyal buyers won’t care one bit and I suspect Nissan is going to sell a ton more of these to families than they ever did the previous generation.

As far as fuel consumption is concerned I managed to average 12.5 L/100 km with about half my driving around town and the other half out on the highway travelling in the 120 km/h range. Averages dropped considerably when travelling at 80 km/h.

After a week behind the wheel of the new Pathfinder, I have to say that I was impressed — I think this new Pathfinder is great value for money and the loaded Platinum I tested was impressive.

2013 Nissan Pathfinder

Acceleration 3.5/5
Handling 4/5
Comfort 4/5
Interior 4/5
Audio System 4/5
Gas Mileage 3.5/5
Overall 3.5/5

*Rating based on vehicle’s classification
MSRP as tested (including destination): $47,053

Day-by-Day Review: 2013 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum; Day 4 - Autos.ca

1 - 4 of 4 Posts